J94 0-6-0ST Cab interior paint scheme

I am about to embark on an ambitious, for me, project based on the Hornby '00' J94 as portrayed with high bunker in BR days.

As it will involve a complete strip-down (actually, I've already done that bit) I would like to take the opportunity to detail the cab interior a little.

Did these locos have cab lights?

What colour(s) was the cab interior painted?

Were the hand brake, reverser lever and regulator handles picked out in a different colour?

Would the injector control wheels and pipework been painted or did they remain in (tarnished?) brass or copper?

Was the floor made of wooden planking or metal sheet (welded or rivetted)?

I am particularly interested in the backhead detail which is not modelled at all by Hornby.

Where were the fire irons stowed?

Is there a source of colour photos which would help?

Any insights you would like to pass on I would be very grateful to receive.

Thank you,

Paul.

Guest 40-something

Hi Paul

I cant answer all your questions but a search on google images should show you some information. I think the cabs were painted a light cream inside, no idea if they were lighted or not, would imagine so though!

I am about to embark on an ambitious, for me, project based on the Hornby '00' J94 as portrayed with high bunker in BR days.

As it will involve a complete strip-down (actually, I've already done that bit) I would like to take the opportunity to detail the cab interior a little.

Did these locos have cab lights?

It was not normal to have cab lights on a steam loco.

What colour(s) was the cab interior painted?

The top half would normally be painted in an off white colour , it may have started out as white.

Were the hand brake, reverser lever and regulator handles picked out in a different colour?

The above three were normal painted red apart from the part that would be handled.

Would the injector control wheels and pipework been painted or did they remain in (tarnished?) brass or copper?

Mostly unpainted, apart from the steam brake pipe, that was normal painted black.

Was the floor made of wooden planking or metal sheet (welded or rivetted)?

Most of the floors were wood, but some of them were metal apart from under where the driver would stand and that would be wood.

I am particularly interested in the backhead detail which is not modelled at all by Hornby.

Where were the fire irons stowed?

Good question this one, some locos had them along the fireman's side of the tank (put there through the cab window?), some locos had them on the fireman's side on the running plate, some locos didn't seem to have any!

Is there a source of colour photos which would help?

Any insights you would like to pass on I would be very grateful to receive.

Thank you,

Paul.

HTH

OzzyO.

OzzyO seems to have hit the nail on the head and I wouldn't argue with any of his comments.

the only light in the cab would possibly be a small paraffin lamp to illuminate one of the boiler water gauge glasses at night, that's all.

HTH

Cheers!

Frank

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your comments I appreciate the help.

Paul,

If a picture paints a thousand words........we have three thousand highly descriptive one's here! Thats a great resource, especially the backhead and floor detail. Thanks for posting.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 4 years later...

Archived