S&D video

I should have thought of this earlier, before Christmas. I've just been for my usual Wednesday visit to Blandford Town museum, and someone was running a dvd, and I realized it was made by a film crew who had visited us about a year ago, and in the great scheme of things had forgot all about it, it was released about 6 - 9 months ago (?). They had made this film about the S&D, and had included a few frames of our layout working. I watched most of the film, and was struck by it's really good quality, if you get a chance, have a look.

http://www.1st-take.com/proddetail.php?prod=10239

• RMweb Gold

Looks interesting, although from the clip on their website, much of what little archive film was shown has already been published elsewhere. I guess it's in the presentation of that archive film, juxtaposed with modern day footage on the WSR, at Midsomer Norton and elsewhere, that will make this a worthwhile purchase.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose, of all the heritage railways, it's one that would come very close to replicating what riding on the S&DJR would have been like?

In terms of a long, cross-country railway with some steep gradients, the WSR gives some good experiences, although the S&D was double track for much of it's length, so the only heritage railway where you can get that experience is the GCR at Loughborough.

Archived