Detailing a Lima 87 - Pantograph

Afternoon-

Ive just received a Lima class 87, in which id like to detail ... I already know which bits I need to alter and replace (fromt multiple cables, handrails, glazing, buffers- bufferbeam, bogies isulator equipment, Innergen fire tanks). Now, the Pantograph is as well all know on the Lima 87 incorrect, more resembling the Stone faiverly type, instead of the Bracknell Willis type. The Limby 87 has the correct pantograph, but to me looks too flimsy. So, I am going to attempt to scratch build my own pantograph from brass tubing etc. I seem to recall a thread on here somewhere where somebody built a pantograph for a Class 90 but I cant seem to find it, can anyone assist on where it is, or with what diameter tubing etc id need?

NL

It was my thread mate. Its called intercity 90 and its on the weathering and painting forum. I too shall be building another for a class 87 soon so may well be building in tandem.

Cav

Bah mine looks better haha

It certainly does, Cav! I hope Nick doesn't mind me asking, as it may be of interest, but how have you sprung the pan on your 90? I understand the bit with the chain, which keeps the top arm at the correct angle relative to the bottom arm; but how is the bottom arm sprung?

Cheers,

Will

I've built one of the Hurst kits i have another which needs to be built. Not hard to build really i've not sprung it yet but it hasn't been a hard thing to build i've built worst things. The only trouble with Hurst from what i can see is they are hard to get items as everything seems to be out of stock all the time.

Simon

I found them difficult to get hold of thats why I scratch built. Scratchbuilding turned out to be quite easy and a lot cheaper as for the cost of a hurst kit I could buy enough brass section to make several pans. I do feel the scratchbuilt one looks better though.

Guest jim s-w

The hurst ones aren't that tricky but you do have to drill them out. Being lost wax brass you get though a lot of drill bits

Cheers

Jim

No you need 1.6mm square section tube for the bottom section so that you can thread the chain through the middle it isnt tapered. The top arm is 1.6 mm solid rod filed to a taper by turning it in a minidrill. I will post some other dims later when I get home.

Cav

Hurst Models do a suitable pantograph kit - I haven't built mine yet but it has a reputation for being fiddly!

How many here remember the 'ModelRail91' exhibition, held at St Albans and organised by Phil Sutton when he was with 'Rail' magazine? It was at this exhibition (21 years ago - yikes!) that I was in the balcony area demonstrating OHLE construction when Hurst came along and took an interest in how I was building my scratchbuilt Brecknell Willis pans. Their version came out some time later...

Noting RBE's success in using the same techniques, as discussed here in a different thread in 2010, I thought I would unearth my own Class 90 from that era and take a couple of pictures. Nowhere near as much detail, loco wise, as RBE's because that was not my main aim at the time - operation while conducting through the pan was where most of the effort went in.

This pan uses an old Lima spring which can be made out on the far side of the base. It also uses thread rather than chain for the linkage, which dates it as one of the earlier batches I made.

The first picture shows the pan at full reach, and the second with a ludicously overscale piece of piano wire holding it down at a more reasonable angle. Even after all these years in storage, it still appears to work correctly.

post-317-0-23340400-1326128295_thumb.jpg

post-317-0-06122900-1326128374_thumb.jpg

Archived