Stainsby Gate - my other LNER 1930s layout

scottiedog

Members may be aware of my Exhibition Layout - Stainsby - but in addition to this I have a permanent "home" layout called Stainsby Gate - no points for originality there! This has been a ongoing project for many, many years now. Whilst there is still work to be done on Stainsby, my New Year resolution is - well you have probably guessed it by now. To keep myself motivated, I thought I would show you where I am with Stainsby Gate, now, and put regular updates on the RM Web. I hope that this will work!!

Once again Stainsby Gate is set in the North Riding of Yorkshire in the 1930s and this time it is a small country terminus station with the usual facilities but with interconnecting passenger services to the likes of Northallerton to the North, Maltby and Pickering to the East and York to the South. After all I do need an excuse to use my numerous ex NER coaches!

Here are some "taster" photographs.post-4345-0-91601500-1325943258_thumb.jpgpost-4345-0-37527100-1325943328_thumb.jpgpost-4345-0-15409600-1325943392_thumb.jpgpost-4345-0-98729900-1325943450_thumb.jpg

I think the buildings would be have been painted Chocolate Brown or Green/Cream by the 1930's ? Looks very nice otherwise. What is the source of the Signal Box? I presume others are Skaledale ?

The Signal Box is from the Town Street range, as is the road overbridge, and the others, apart from the Station Building which is by TMC, are as you say Skaledale. The stone work has been repainted to match in with that on Stainsby. There is a Skaledale Goods Shed undergoing repainting at the moment and in due course I will do the same to the Station Building.

I have a couple of the brick version of the Townstret Signal Box on my layout.

I wondered if it was the TMC version of Goathland Station, is it finer than the Hornby version again on my layout?.

Skaledale are bringing a number of new ex NER buildings this year almost spoilt for choice !!

I have a couple of the brick version of the Townstret Signal Box on my layout.

I wondered if it was the TMC version of Goathland Station, is it finer than the Hornby version again on my layout?.

Skaledale are bringing a number of new ex NER buildings this year almost spoilt for choice !!

Personally, I feel that the TMC offering is a more accurate version of that at Goathland. For starters, the main station building is about the right size and the two side buildings are better representations of the prototype. The latter come as add ons. Again, on a personal basis, the stonework and other features are much sharper.

Scottie. you will also find that Goathland has more chimnies where as the Hornby representation is more of the standard architecture from the period. the old adage or work from photos rather than Architectural books as there is always modifications to a standard design!

The taster photos are very tasty. This layout screams out for a backscene though to really show off your work. :)

Yes, you're right about a backscene. Work on layout has been neglected for a good while whilst I concentrated on Stainsby, the one I take to exhibitions. I am going to the Doncaster Show next month, so I will see what's on offer, there. Suggestions anyone? Watch this space.

Archived