Callow Lane - more terraced cottages

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been asked for a diagram of how the cottage windows were done - here is a side view showing the cross-section of a wall and window:

post-57-0-89874400-1332692066.jpg

Where the edges of the inner 20 thou framing is visible, it is painted the same colour as the outer framing, eg. cream or brown, etc.

• RMweb Premium

Talking of the Howard Scenics cottage backs, here are some photos of a row of four that I did last year, which did require a fair bit of modification to fit in the 'footprint' available:

post-57-0-70864400-1330198694.jpg

post-57-0-30628200-1330198716.jpg

post-57-0-23633200-1330198727.jpg

Wow,

Those backs are so realistic. I just love those entry doors - reminds me of my Gran and Grandad's house in Spark Hill, Birmingham - many, many years ago. Brilliant work. When card models are made to this standard they can be better looking than any thing done in embossed sheets etc. Very inspirational work.

Regards, Mike

• 9 months later...

These are wonderful models, indeed the outdoor pictures are so realistic they would fool most people if they weren't on a modelling web-site! A couple of questions though; would they typically have had the front doors painted as matched pairs or would there have been some individuality in choice of colours? And, would the roof ridge lines have been so perfectly straight? Most terraced houses show the centre ridge to be sagging. Cheers R.... 

"These are wonderful models, indeed the outdoor pictures are so realistic they would fool most people if they weren't on a modelling web-site! A couple of questions though; would they typically have had the front doors painted as matched pairs or would there have been some individuality in choice of colours? And, would the roof ridge lines have been so perfectly straight? Most terraced houses show the centre ridge to be sagging. Cheers R.... "

Rich, if I may 'butt-in' to this smashing thread, it would likely to be set in a time when home ownership was not for the likes of Callow Lane inhabitants, and the choice of colour would be down to the landlords. A big can of green paint is cheaper than a small one of green and a small one of blue!

Doug

Back to you, C.K., beg pardon.

• 1 month later...

Rich, if I may 'butt-in' to this smashing thread, it would likely to be set in a time when home ownership was not for the likes of Callow Lane inhabitants, and the choice of colour would be down to the landlords. A big can of green paint is cheaper than a small one of green and a small one of blue

of course that makes sense, didn't think of it.

Archived