DB painted coal hopper

Hugh Flynn

There's some which have gained DB stickers but on the EWS livery - i've not seen any other proper DBS red repaints. DB also has a small fleet of brand new bogie hoppers which work on London area aggregates traffic which are "DB liveried", but they are silver and black instead of red.

This one was converted from an HTA coal hopper to a CGA covered hopper for potential biomass traffic and was heavily publicised, hence the investment in a coat of paint. DBS doesn't seem to have actually gained any biomass traffic (yet at least) so I don't think any more have been converted - it was also trialled on sand from Middleton Towers, presumably DBS pitching to replace their aging PAA fleet with bigger/more modern wagons.

• 6 months later...

That is indeed the CGA with the retractable roof. Before I left DB it was always kept tucked up inside Knottingley shed. I have the original leaflet for it somewhere along with a load more pictures (Some of the roof) and a part converted HTA, though i'm likly to sell it rather than complete it!!

I did note the other day there appears to be another DB red HTA/CGA prototype with what appear to be solid mechanical doors similar to GBRF's Biomass effort. Some pictures are on the WNXX site of them at Immingham at the weekend with 60019.

Quite a few pics on Flickr from the Immingham event (which also featured the red BYA shown in another thread on here) - this is 310318 which is the second one, coupled to 310552 as above, and showing the difference in roof treatments from the end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/class_153/7629682266/in/photostream/

Some nice lettering and painting differences on that second one, for example it looks rather like the underside is still in EWS maroon!

Archived