Crystal ball gazing

Tim Hale

Not a wish list please, just a bit of left field thought.

If this year (so far) has not been the greatest for fans of the Southern, we still have the announcement of Bachmann's forecast to digest. We know that Bachmann have a committment to the Bluebell Collection and a relationship with the NRM but could this be of further benefit to the Southern modeller?

Well, maybe. Just suppose Bachmann are looking for an iconic class that had a limited protptype application but a very large fan base AND a connection with both the aforementoned organisations then I would put money (not mine) on the 0415 class. However let's look a little deeper, Bachmann have a suprisingly good track record on Southern classes - their N-class is still my first choice of the most useful Southern model (it still holds it own despite its age) and all the big lad with one eye needs is a new chassis to bring in line with other SR express bruisers. As for Bachmann's 3rd rail departures, aren't they lovely?

What I think might happen is a bit more tricky - the 0415 is the front runner but someone at Bardwell gets a wobble of 'what-ifs' then they look at a 'safer' small loco that complies with their committment to the Bluebell Collection and relationship with the NRM - the Q class! OK, no great looker but Bachmann are good at small 0-6-0's, its their territory and a lead-in to a LMS 4F which will round out Bachmann's LMS good collection.

Then, big surprise, the 0415 pops out in the forecast for the next year........

Before anyone asks, neither the 0415 nor the Q are on my shopping list but given that Bachmann seems to equally surprise and frustrate us, these thoughts aren't too illogical.

Now for the stupid predictions- the 2-Bil will accompany the S15 from Hornby within three years and Dapol will release a GWR 1366 because these will complete the Wenford collection.

Tim

Interesting thoughts Tim. I wouldn't bet against Bachmann doing another Bluebell locomotive, but part of me wonders whether they might do the H class? It's due back shortly and it's a useful engine. I never would have thought it likely that Bachmann would do an SECR locomotive, but then the C popped up! On the negative side I can't think of an 0-4-4 locomotive that Bachmann have done recently and that kind of arrangement would more likely be up Hornby's street. I agree on the Hornby front that an S15 is surely round the corner.

The Q class would be excellent and another great goods locomotive if Bachmann continue to head down that route. I would have thought though that the Adams Radial is something that Kernow might tackle shortly as their next R-T-R release after the O2. Like the BWT, the Radial is quite limited in range, so a special commission just 'feels' more likely than something from either of the big two.

A bit of wishful thinking here, but I wonder if Bachmann might want to get involved with some Southern coaching stock? Maybe the reason they've been saying no to retooling the Bulleids is that they have something else up their sleeve? I can only hope...!

Thanks Mighty, I just wanted to introduce some intelligent discussion about potential SR Models rather than expose the discussion to the usual froth fest.

Tim

Apologies if my post came over as froth rather than intelligent discussion!

Mighty,

Your response was both intelligent and very helpful. My one line response although short was in no way a dismissal of your contribution and no apologies are needed hence the thanks and the 'like this' ticks.

Your point about Bachmann considering new Southern coaching stock is especially welcome, hopefully it will start a discussion as to the potential for some pre-grouping candidates - what does the Bluebell connection offer?

If this year (so far) has not been the greatest for fans of the Southern, we still have the announcement of Bachmann's forecast to digest. We know that Bachmann have a committment to the Bluebell Collection and a relationship with the NRM but could this be of further benefit to the Southern modeller?

Some may disagree but hey I digress. My thinking is that if Bachmann were to do another Bluebell loco there are several suitable candidates.

Firstly the Class E4 Billinton Radial Tank, the only surviving locomotive to a design by Robert Billinton, mixed traffic - equally at home on local passenger workings as branchline goods, long service - introduced in 1898 and withdrawn straight to Bluebell Railway in 1962, would give a variety of livery choices. Secondly the Class H2 Brighton Atlantic Beachy Head, would possibly be a popular choice as the real thing approaches completion, maybe a percentage of sales could go to rebuilding costs - cross promotion.

Lastly and completely left field what about the Class 2 petrol engined locomotive 'Howard' No. 957, it is a Bluebell loco! Would also be popular with all those modellers crying out for UK Standard Gauge industrial.

PS. A wise cynic once said "Don't stare too hard into a crystal ball as you might be disappointed when all you see is your own reflection"

Your point about Bachmann considering new Southern coaching stock is especially welcome, hopefully it will start a discussion as to the potential for some pre-grouping candidates - what does the Bluebell connection offer?

Hi Tim

Thanks for that - glad I came down on the right side of intelligent discussion! I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Bluebell SECR coaching stock would offer a great opportunity for train packs in a variety of BR(S), Malachite and Maunsell liveries, let alone the 'lake' (red/crimson?) SECR livery which would look superb behind a suitable locomotive. However I have to admit train packs have been more Hornby's preserve in recent years. The only other candidates I can think that the Bluebell would have to offer up would be the wooden bodied LBSCR four wheelers which I think would be highly unlikely due to their early withdrawal from service, or perhaps some LSWR stock such as the recently restored Lav. brake 3rd 1520. Again, probably unlikely as there's not a similar LSWR locomotive to go with the stock.

Aussiebrfan, you have some interesting ideas there, but I think the Howard petrol loco is unlikely, though perhaps someone may take it on as a commission? The Atlantic surely must be a candidate for production post 2015 when the 1:1 replica will be outshopped. The E4 is an interesting one. I have the OO Works E4 and it is a lovely looking engine and a wider production model from Bachmann would fit in nicely with the LBSCR themed resin buildings from Bachmann.

Your last point is probably too true though!

Given the concept discussed elsewhere on the forum of 'surprisingly popular models of locos with limited use' - the Dapol BWT and Bachmann's S&DJR 7F as two such examples, what would be the Southern equivilent that is yet to be chosen for RTR?

The 0415 certainly score high on the froth charts and is the Bluebell's longest serving locos albeit on static display but what else is held in high esteem by modellers and those who just like railways?

Beachy Head, as suggested by Glenn, is going to be in the public eye in the near future and is mourned as the 'one we lost' by many enthusists, it was a very popular locomotive as can be judged by the number of farewell tours by BR. The combination of unique wheel arrangement for RTR (unless the 0415 is also chosen) and mainline status should indicate that the Brighton H2 would be an iconic model.

What of coaching stock, something pre-grouping for the weekend, sir? A nice exLSWR cross-country three car set would be nice but for the 'WOW' factor, can anything rival a 'birdcage' set because Bachmann really to get into the game on coach stock and have left Hornby to do the running for far too long. Whilst Bachmann seem to be the undisputed leaders of goods stock (though Hornby's Shark is lovely) Bachmann have nothing to rival Hornby's releases over the past ten years.

But if I was to predict something really left field from Mr. Hubbard's team, it would be an exSECR articulated Railmotor set, just because it is so nice (and rather useful for anyone modelling minor SECR or LSWR branchlines)

Sorry, if it comes over as a bit of frothing but maybe this submission has some sensible thought hidden somewhere?

Tim

Some interesting thoughts, but I confess that my crystal ball is obviously on a different wavelength (if crystal balls operate on wavelengths?).

It is a long while since I have bought anything RTR - perhaps because I model in EM and regard anything after the turn of the century as a bit "modern image" (by that I mean the end of the 19th century). The thought of a Billinton radial tank would be nice or even a decent model of a Terrier - but I am not going to hold my breath for them. In my crystal ball, the piece of technology that could change the game is 3D printing. The recurring cost of a smallish victorian loco - say a 2-2-2 - seems to be around £100 (plus of course all the running gear). Therefore, if one person is sufficiently interested to do the non-recurring work i.e. all the computer design, it then becomes possible to reproduce that design (albeit in limited numbers) at a reasonably accessible price. Once print quality has moved forward a little bit, this seems to open up the possibility of modelling a whole range of victorian designs that will never command mass market support. At that point, my crystal ball shows a procession of Mr Craven's engines - of which there is an almost inexhaustable variety. Or perhaps my crystal ball has just been lubricated with too many glasses of 110............ :no:

Best wishes

Eric

A big gap in the available range of 4mm Brighton locos is the K class Mogul. The only kits seems to be the ancient and no longer available K's, and the Mallard/Blacksmith pne which has a terrible reputation. A decent RTR model or kit would be very welcome.

I also suspect that an 0415 may come out of Kernow.

Well, if we are looking at the Bluebell line for inspiration for the Bachmann releases, there is always the SECR H class locomotive which had a long life. This would go well with the Maunsell coaches released from Hornby and also the Push pull set released this year. I believe this locomotive is on it final stages of overhaul and should be running later this year. The Maunsell Q class is another good option too, but when there was an interest in the T9 from Hornby how long did it take to get 30120 running again. Hopefully the same thing happens for 30541.

If Bachmann are feeling a little cash strapped this year it could be case of them releasing their 9F renumbered in the locomotive which has run on Bluebells rails over the last few years.

As for coaches, if Bachmann were to surprise Birdcage stock would be nice but not holding my breath.

Hopefully not wanting to sound like a wishlist but, yes the K Class Mogul great and the Q Class definitely would get my vote. Also regarding coaching stock, aside from the Bluebell connection isnt it about time Bachmann gave us some upgraded Bulleids. Im thinking 3 coach sets ala the Modelzone ltd ed but with a higher detail spec. Just some thoughts.

Regards

Archived