LMS 3Fs in LMS red?

Over the years I've seen a few 00 models of 3F's painted in LMS red, including one from the new Hornby Railroad range. Does anyone know for sure if the 3Fs where ever painted in that livery? My suspicions is that they were only painted black with LMS gold/yellow lettering but I thought I'd check. Thanks! Rob

• RMweb Premium

Rob: Jenkinson & Essery in Locomotive Liveries of the LMS state "These engines were always plain black". (I assume you mean the 0-6-0T?)

However, there was a variety of styles of lettering -- gold gave way to straw, and the sizes of the numbers varied depending on what was available in the works or what matched the existing numbers.

The ex-Midland 0-6-0 tender locos also seem to have been black except for at least one that reeived SDJR blue. Again, much variety of transfers.

Every time I look at the book, I need to go back and find out what the codes mean.

Hornby has produced the 3F in red but it is generally accepted as imaginary.

J&E say that the Jinties livery did not change very quickly when the official specs did. They would generally receive touch-ups only. Even the numbers didn't change when they were supposed to.

Perhaps they had better things for the 3FTs to do and had plenty of passenger engines anyway.

That's right. They were built by Bagnalls with steam heating and screw reversers for passenger use. According to Chris Handley in Radstock Coal & Steam, one of their initial uses was to assist passenger trains over the Mendips, but their small wheel diameter was unsuitable for this task. They were only about a year old when the LMS took over in 1930 and they very quickly started to replace them with ordinary freight Jinties. Most of the seven original S&DJR "Bagnalls" had been moved elsewhere within a few years to places where they were needed for passenger working. Essery & Jenkinson, An Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives, has a photo of 7155 (S&D no 24, later 7315/47135) at Plaistow in 1933 still in blue. Of the original seven, only one (25/7156/7316/47316) ever returned to the S&D after 1934.

Nick

Archived