Model Photos from Cocoa Beach RPM meet

CraigZ

I see our pal Jon Grant got a couple of things in there as well....in the background of one of the photos (with his name on it) there appeared to be a Tangerine/Blue CRR of NJ "Janus" double ended diesel (like a British prototype). I dunno who's this was though.

Best, Pete.

Pete, the CNJ double ender is mine - Overland brass with my paint job on it. I swapped some kits to Jon Grant for those two cars with his name on them.

Jon, the PC GP38 is an Atlas model that I detailed/painted/lettered. The PC had a pretty substantial roster of GP38s that were purchased new by the PC...they didn't inherit any from the PRR, NYC or NH.

• 11 months later...

Craig, you hit the spot, I was just googling '... rpm cocoa ...'.

How do you transport the models? A padded box as hand luggage on the plane? My experience here was taking model freight cars to Manila on airphilexpress. It's a fifty seat Fokker on dirt track runway using what looks like an old bus station as a terminal. Anyway, the carefully taped box had to be untaped at check-in by the armed security, no x-ray scanners here. They had never seen anything in miniature, but were still very nosy. Fortunately I had a roll of tape in my bag.

Phil

Talk about digging up an old thread :)

Phil, I drive down...625 miles each way, about 9.5 hours.  I would not, ever, travel with models on an airplane.  My fear would be that no matter how well I packed, security would insist on hand inspection of them and would promptly clean off details...

Talk about digging up an old thread :)

Phil, I drive down...625 miles each way, about 9.5 hours.  I would not, ever, travel with models on an airplane.  My fear would be that no matter how well I packed, security would insist on hand inspection of them and would promptly clean off details...

Craig

On my last trip to the US a couple of years ago I managed to time it that me and my travelling companion were in San Fran for the Bay Area RPM meet, so we both took a few models with us to show. My friend packed his in his cabin baggage well wrapped in bubble wrap with plastic storage boxes (brand name in the UK is Really Useful Boxes) and then inserted in the middle of his cloths for the trip. I took a GP38 and a couple of freight cars on as hand baggage - just then packed into a laptop bag using the same Really Useful Box / bubble wrap combo.

Like you I feared the worst with security getting very excited by printed circuit boards and odd shapes showing up on the x-ray but at both Heathrow T5 and SFO no-one was that bothered and it went thro the x-ray with no questions asked and no unpacking involved. However as the result of a bad experience with US security / customs taking a knife to my wife's hold luggage on one trip I'd never put really valuable / delegate stuff as hold baggage........

Dan

Craig,

Good to finally meet you at Cocoa - even if only briefly before Bill's clinic. It's great to put a face with a name!

As Cocoa was a side trip on a family visit to the big mouse in Orlando, I was only at the meet for a day, and didn't bring any models.

Tony Thompson flies with detailed models all the time - I'm not brave enough to try it - but check out his latest blog post for some tips on how he travels with models. (modelingthesp@blogspot.com)

Archived