Waverley Route - Layout Notions.

Roygraham

My idea in starting this topic is provide somewhere for those who feel they haven't got the space to build what they want, or can't afford it, or are stopped by some other impediment, and to encourage them, with the help of our more experienced modellers, to find a way around the problem, whatever it is.

Would have loved a shunting layout of Riccarton Jct in OO gauge, with up & down mains for expresses - but a rented house, lack of space and the most severe impediment of all in having sausage fingers has not helped one bit. I'm only sticking to the bigger stuff cos it's harder to make a mistake & easier to rectify when I've made one. :sad_mini:

Last year I tried to convince the N gauge group of Farnham and District MRC that they should model St Boswells as a replacement for their aging (20+ years) model of Basingstoke. It lost out (by 1 vote) to Wickwar (a boring little station in GWR country - I may be biased though!)

I even got as far as drawig the whole thing up in Anyrail using code 55 bits a pieces:

Boswells V4

Iy works out at about 17ft in N gauge, just too large for my garage based layout

Ok just to turn it on its head 8ft by 2ft and P4 what would anyone suggest with a waverly theme?

Hi Mike

Gilnockie on the Langholm branch should fit that space nicely and it could be run as a terminous with one catridge/ fiddle yard because of the small loop if you are short of space.

Colin

A Waverley Route through station with branch activity in 2mm FS, about 5-6 metres long would be nice. The only thing I don't like about what I'm doing with the B, TD and S is the lack of opportunity to do main line stuff. St Boswells in the fifties/early sixties maybe? I'll do the buildings...........

Ian

A Waverley Route through station with branch activity in 2mm FS, about 5-6 metres long would be nice. The only thing I don't like about what I'm doing with the B, TD and S is the lack of opportunity to do main line stuff. St Boswells in the fifties/early sixties maybe? I'll do the buildings...........

Ian

OK Ian - Track plan in post 3, it's Peco code 55 so you'll want to easytrack it. Where will you get the small army to hand build all of those points?

6 metres should do it though with a 180 at each end to get to a fiddleyard.

OK Ian - Track plan in post 3, it's Peco code 55 so you'll want to easytrack it. Where will you get the small army to hand build all of those points?

6 metres should do it though with a 180 at each end to get to a fiddleyard.

Ah.......hadn't spotted that. I've got 11 handbuilt 2mm FS points on my current model so far, with around 20 more planned, so could probably give it a good go. We've got bridge no 7 of the tweedmouth-Kelso branch in our garden, so the layout could be set up on that on sunny days..........

Ian

My idea in starting this topic is provide somewhere for those who feel they haven't got the space to build what they want, or can't afford it, or are stopped by some other impediment, and to encourage them, with the help of our more experienced modellers, to find a way around the problem, whatever it is.

Like Matt I originally wanted to build a model of Riccarton Junction, albeit mine was to be in 'EM' gauge. Then I scaled it and realised that it wouldn't fit into my loft space. A move of house a few years later identified a suitable property and we moved in. I started to board in the loft and then for several years work took over. When I came back to my loft idea I found that the already boarded area had be filled with household detritus and immediately did what I do best and gave up.

My attention then switched to the garden and I built a '00' gauge garden railway which survived quite well for a few years and provided entertainment for me and my young son. In due course my son went off to Uni, and the garden railway was abandoned.

I have now retired and the prospect of finishing the boarding of the roof-space is to say the least daunting. However having abandoned my Riccarton dream I now have available a 12' by 7' approx room. That has given rise to the following notion.

I apologise in advance to Waverley fans on this site and elsewhere for what follows.

This is a might have been idea.

The Carlisle extension of the Hawick branch was built in 1845/46 through Eskdale rather than Liddesdale. Such was the public outcry that soon after completion a branch was constructed to Newcastleton. By the its precarious grip on existence was under permanent threat. Then in 1862 or thereabouts Richard Hodgson, Chairman of the NBR received an approach from one John Furness Tone, erstwhile civil engineer of the Border Counties Railway.

roygraham

Tone had a problem. He had recently bought the coal mines at Plashetts in the North Tyne Valley and was having some difficulty in his dealings with the North Eastern Railway over the interchange of his coal traffic at Hexham. They were demanding what, in his letter to Hodgson, he described as a 'King's Ransom' for the onward carriage of his produce to Newcastle and the East Coast Main line, probably because of his involvement in the Blythe and Tyne Railway. Straightforwardly Tone, for he was a blunt individual, told Hodgson that if the NBR failed to extend its Newcastleton Branch into the North Tyne then he,Tone, would be ruined. Hodgson thought long and hard about this, should he build the railway his friend asked for and risk the future of the already overstretched NBR, or should he abandon his friend to the wolves who were he didn't doubt already circling. Anxiously Tone waited for a reply.

Tone had a problem. He had recently bought the coal mines at Plashetts in the North Tyne Valley and was having some difficulty in his dealings with the North Eastern Railway over the interchange of his coal traffic at Hexham.

As I understand the situation the original idea was a line from Hexham to Belling Burn for the coal mines at Plashetts. It soon changed to the emphasis being on the link to the north via Riccarton to provide coal for the Border mills. The coal was not suitable for this use and was only fit for domestic use. For this purpose it had to compete with coal from the Lothian coal field and both the line and the colliery would soon have gone broke as there was no prospect of any alternative source of revenue.

An interesting possibility all the same. My alternative history is the Carlisle-Edinburgh line was built via Langholm and Mosspaul and my layout depicts the small staion at Glentarras.

We could always start a design competition for the 'other' alternative. The portals for the tunnel under Carter Bar.

Bernard

As I understand the situation the original idea was a line from Hexham to Belling Burn for the coal mines at Plashetts. It soon changed to the emphasis being on the link to the north via Riccarton to provide coal for the Border mills. The coal was not suitable for this use and was only fit for domestic use. For this purpose it had to compete with coal from the Lothian coal field and both the line and the colliery would soon have gone broke as there was no prospect of any alternative source of revenue.

An interesting possibility all the same. My alternative history is the Carlisle-Edinburgh line was built via Langholm and Mosspaul and my layout depicts the small staion at Glentarras.

We could always start a design competition for the 'other' alternative. The portals for the tunnel under Carter Bar.

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

If you're going down that route then I would plump for the Roxburgh and Northumberland Union being built. Right under the Note o' the Gate and straight down through Denholm to Jedburgh or the alternative route from Langburnshiels to Jedburgh.

roygraham

Guest Max Stafford

Langburnshiels to Jedburgh? Well if there was ever a real Ruberslaw station this is most certainly a good location for it!

Dave.

The reply, when it arrived was, to say the least, equivocal. Hodgson declined to commit the NB to further Border branch line adventures feeling that he would not be able to carry his board. He did however, following further discussion, offer Tone an olive branch. Hodgson's offer to Tone was straightforward. On behalf of the NB he offered to subscribe the sum of 20,000 towards the construction of the proposed railway and suggested to Tone that he approached other landed interests along the proposed route like the Staverts of Saughtree and the Rutherford-Elliots of Dinlabyre. Tone therefore set about the task of generating the required subscriptions to his embryonic company. He eventually raised the sum of 100,000 which he and his friends bolstered to 140,000.

However the propsed railway would have to be built across the difficult terrain of the Larriston Fells and Hobbes Flow, a significant area of ill-drained mossland. Tone his attention to the activities of the army in the recent Crimean War, where they has experimented with lightly engineered and cheaply built railways for supply purposes. Tone continued to pursue his plan and that was how we come to have what is now known as the Liddesdale and North Tyne Valley Railway. Built to 2' gauge and with minimal engineering works the line forms an end on Junction with the NB's Newcastleton Branch in the village of Newcastleton. The line itself runs broadly south west from Plashetts and proceeds via the 'Bloody Bush', crosses the Liddel on a fine timber viaduct near Whithaugh and wends its way through the back lanes and streets of the village before crossing North Hermitage to its station rather in the style of Welshpool or Portmadoc.

Shankend Stobbs, Newcastleton or the remote Steele Road station, bleak, desolate moorland scenery, plenty sheep, raining, foggy, cold, miserable, 9th April 1966. D5316 on a Carlisle-Edinburgh stopper. D5317 southbound same day, 6 coaches incl SC24730. The Beatles song "Norwegian wood" allways reminds me of this lonely journey, D5316 slogging away uphill through the mist.

My only encounter with the Waverley route. So sad it was closed..

Brit15

6 coaches incl SC24730.

The Beatles song "Norwegian wood" allways reminds me of this lonely journey, D5316 slogging away uphill through the mist.

My only encounter with the Waverley route. So sad it was closed.

I'm just delighted the Group is still generating contributions such as this, the first 'moves book' entry we've seen, AFAIK. That's an SK number I shall be using - so a massive cheers for sharing your notes.

I can entirely see how Norwegian Wood resonates, and I doubt I'm alone in that...

And I can hear the trademark Sulzer beats

Guest Max Stafford

"I can entirely see how Norwegian Wood resonates, and I doubt I'm alone in that..."

You're not wrong sir...!

Dave.

I just checked out the stats for Rubber Soul, and it was released a fortnight before I was born. No wonder it was embedded in the cultural psyche of April '66.

That track will forever be synonymous with the climb along the stretch walked just last weekend, although from the sound of it April 9th '66 was dreich and brooding, rather than bright and bracing...

Tone his attention to the activities of the army in the recent Crimean War, where they has experimented with lightly engineered and cheaply built railways for supply purposes. Tone continued to pursue his plan and that was how we come to have what is now known as the Liddesdale and North Tyne Valley Railway. Built to 2' gauge and with minimal engineering works the line forms an end on Junction with the NB's Newcastleton Branch in the village of Newcastleton. The line itself runs broadly south west from Plashetts and proceeds via the 'Bloody Bush', crosses the Liddel on a fine timber viaduct near Whithaugh and wends its way through the back lanes and streets of the village before crossing North Hermitage to its station rather in the style of Welshpool or Portmadoc.

I see what you mean Roy.

There is a track on the OS map running by Akenshaw Burn and leading up over Bloody Bush.The drop down to Liddel Water would be rather steep. The track takes a diversion south and then attacks the slope in a straight ramp. Back to my previous comments about a rope worked incline plane? The route does look possible for a cheaply built line with the exception of this slope.

I await with interest your sourcing of suitable locomotives. :jester:

Bernard

I see what you mean Roy.

There is a track on the OS map running by Akenshaw Burn and leading up over Bloody Bush.The drop down to Liddel Water would be rather steep. The track takes a diversion south and then attacks the slope in a straight ramp. Back to my previous comments about a rope worked incline plane? The route does look possible for a cheaply built line with the exception of this slope.

I await with interest your sourcing of suitable locomotives. :jester:

Bernard

Yes, Bernard. A deviation at the top of Larriston Fells was necessary to the north to take in Larriston Lime Works before turning south west again taking in Larriston Quarry passing Mountain View before running parallel to the road between Dinlabyre and Boghall running round the flank of Priest Hill before taking in Whithaugh Mill and crossing the River Liddel. The track you refer to is the old 'Cadger's Road' largely built and improved by the Rutherford-Olivers and used by pack horses to bring coal from Plashetts to Liddesdale but not entirely useful for a railway.

roygraham

So far as motive power is concerned the NB branch would be served by D51 tanks and NB 0-6-0 tanks. Though the story is that weight of traffic is putting a severe strain on these and replacements need finding. With the period set about 1930 on the NG the ubiquitous Baldwins have a large say along with some modified Fairlies and some copies of the Tralee and Dingle locos suitably regauged.

Archived