Hall in steam Bath rd 1968?

Pete S

Not sure if it's of any use or not, but 6998 "Burton Agnes Hall" moved from Totnes to Didcot GWS on Saturday 2nd December 1967, together with 0-4-2T 1466. Both locos were in steam, the "Hall" leading with several coaches in tow. It was a cold, wet and miserable day, but no snow around as I recall. The loco was in reasonable external condition complete with name and numberplates, presumably no diesel would have been required for the move into Didcot, unless one was used for the reversing move. It would have been well after dark by the time the train reached Didcot.

Here's a photo of the train during a stop at Westbury, when it was already in very poor light:

post-384-0-72909800-1326927159.jpg

Whether that helps to clear anything up or not, I don't know!

Cheers, Geoff

Hi all.

I've had a look at the picture in question but can't confirm that the Hall is of the modified variety, the angle isn't great for being able to tell. I'm not sure it's Burton Agnes though. What I can confirm is that the loco has a Collett 4000 Gallon tender, cabside number plates and no nameplates fitted. Having just had a bit of a trawl Burton Agnes seemed to have a Hawksworth tender around this time as well as nameplates. I don't think the Hall is in steam. What may look like steam I think is exhaust from the Hymek. The shed doesn't look like Didcot. It's just a roof, no doors or wood paneling at the front. In fact it doesn't look like it's got a back to it either.

There was an open day on the 21st October 1967 at Bath Road depot but no snow so it's not then but there were a couple of steam locos in residence on the way to the breakers yard. Seems odd that BR would display steam locos at such an event at that time. Perhaps the loco in question was on the way to a scrap yard. Were all numberplates removed from steam locos before they went to the big engine shed in the sky?

Probably not a lot of help but it may answer one or two questions.

Hi all.

There was an open day on the 21st October 1967 at Bath Road depot but no snow so it's not then but there were a couple of steam locos in residence on the way to the breakers yard. Seems odd that BR would display steam locos at such an event at that time. Perhaps the loco in question was on the way to a scrap yard. Were all numberplates removed from steam locos before they went to the big engine shed in the sky?

Same open day had 46201 Princess Elizabeth and GWR pannier 1638 also present parked next to a Warship. (Steam around Bath, Ivo Peters Picture 50).

Another thought. During this period, it was not unusual to haul recently purchased locos, from a relatively complete loco to a total Barry wrecks on the system. The condition of 6000 on its move from Swindon being typical of the time.

In the mid 70's in my school hols, I remember a class 47 hauling four ex GWR including 5029 / 7202 / Pannier and a 2-8-0 ( If my memory is not playing tricks) down the GWR mainline through Swindon one Sunday morning. It was stop and examine situation frequently en route. This pic with Hymek could be a similar move.

Just a thought

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Another thought. During this period, it was not unusual to haul recently purchased locos, from a relatively complete loco to a total Barry wrecks on the system. The condition of 6000 on its move from Swindon being typical of the time.

In the mid 70's in my school hols, I remember a class 47 hauling four ex GWR including 5029 / 7202 / Pannier and a 2-8-0 ( If my memory is not playing tricks) down the GWR mainline through Swindon one Sunday morning. It was stop and examine situation frequently en route. This pic with Hymek could be a similar move.

Just a thought

Mike Wiltshire

That is sounding increasingly likely Mike. However I can't find any 'possibles' among the preserved locos that would have been towed via Bristol at the date given although it is possible that some could have come out of Barry on their own wheels in that period (however full preservation history is lacking for some on the 'net). One point to be kept in mind with some of the preserved locos is that there have been tender swaps (although not for 6998).

The full list of GWR Barry locos with departure dates is here.

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/barrygwr.htm

There is nothing around 1968, so there goes my theory.

The only one that fits the dateline is 6000 King George V which was moved by rail in 1968 though I understood, the first stage was to Newport via Gloucester.

Video here (and I am amongst them somewhere as an 8 year old)

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/king-george-v-loco

Regards

MIke Wiltshire

Archived