Scalescenes Brick Papers

michaelp

I'm new to using Scalescenes brick papers, I want to build some small brick walls but does the brick paper have to be glued to card first then onto plasticard or can the paper be glued onto plasticard directly, also which is the best glue to use for fixing?

Any help would be great.

Michael

For ALL my Scalescenes work I forget card, using plasticard instead. About .020/030" I think, its a while since I did any. Slight modifications are necessary during the build due to using one thickness, but easily overcome. And I don't use paper & glue, but print directly on to A4 size self-adhesive label sheets. These can be peeled back slightly & adjusted as necessary (as above) when wrapping through, in places such as window frames. I prefer working with plasticard, and the pre-printed labels give a great finish. More expensive than card I know, but easily fixed together with the usual MekPak etc.

Stewart

I build my shells from card either greyboard, whiteboard of artists mounting board then wrap with the brick paper, I use gluesticks to coat the texture paper before wrapping the shell, and PVA for parts that I can't get to with the gluestick.

I have tried printing the texture to A4 sticky labels but for some buildings I need the bit of slide that the glue stick gives, never tried building using plasticard and texture sheets so can't comment on that.

Stewart's suggestion to use A4 computer labels is the one I use. It is possible to manipulate Scalescenes papers in a photo editor so I can print them out exactly to size and shape for all my scratch building projects so no "sliding" of the cover paper is necessary. It doesn't matter whether you apply the paper to plastic or card; the latter is cheapest and can be built up to the desired thickness from Cornflake packets. Plastic is better if the layout is subject to damp conditions that one would find in a shed or garage.

• RMweb Gold

Using A4 labels looks like a great method for me but may I ask if you have any recommendations about the label supplier?

I have seen A4 labels offered on the web from £2.99 (for 25 sheets) up to many multiples of that price for the same quantity. Presumably there can be differences in quality? Can you offer any advice as to whether the quality of the cheaper labels is good enough for this use please?

Thanks.

Don

Hi Don

i got 50 A4 lables off Globe packaging on ebay for £3.60 recently with free delivery. Ive printed out and used a couple.Was quite pleased with results in both printing on inkjet and mounting onto card stock.Found even for thin strips to be rapped around card it went on well and less messy than using glue..

hope this is of use.

Tel

Using A4 labels looks like a great method for me but may I ask if you have any recommendations about the label supplier?

I have seen A4 labels offered on the web from £2.99 (for 25 sheets) up to many multiples of that price for the same quantity. Presumably there can be differences in quality? Can you offer any advice as to whether the quality of the cheaper labels is good enough for this use please?

Thanks.

Don

Personally I have only used Rymans (shop is just around the corner from my base at Waterloo when at work) and WHSmith or Staples (no Rymans locally near home and my rest breaks tend to be quite long!). When using other sticky labels for different purposes (ie as a label...) I have found the cheaper ones to be nowhere near as good. Then again, having made the model I seal it for use in the garage, using matt varnish from one of the chain stores such as B&Q, so the adhesive quality probably wouldn't matter too much anyway?

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Stewart I take your point as the general rule is that you get what you pay for. However, as Tel suggests that he is happy with them I will try a pack of the cheaper ones first as there is not a lot to lose that way and they may well suffice for what I want to do. Thanks very much for your comments guys.

Don

Michael, I'm late to this one, is there any reason why you want to use plastic? Have you a lot of the expensive stuff to use up?

I'm curious because I seem to get a reasonable result with cardboard?

To my mind the plastic sheet is much harder to cut and to work with....

Doug

If I print on paper (a good matt) then I use 3M artist mounting spray to stick it to card (DON'T use the bargain shop version).The good thing is, if you don't position your print right first time this method lets you re position your print on the card. I have used this method since early 90s even with metcalfe printed sheets (fell out with them as the sheets over time split on building corners). I still have some of the early buildings and never had to re stick the printed brick.

Hi Don

i got 50 A4 lables off Globe packaging on ebay for £3.60 recently with free delivery. Ive printed out and used a couple.Was quite pleased with results in both printing on inkjet and mounting onto card stock.Found even for thin strips to be rapped around card it went on well and less messy than using glue..

hope this is of use.

Tel

I've just got some labels from the same company and the early results are very promising. Thanks for the tip.

I've just got some labels from the same company and the early results are very promising. Thanks for the tip.

You are welcome.

As a update ive been recovering some old plastic retaining arches over the weekend using these labels and got to say they stick to plastic quite well.Think it would have been a rather messy job using normal glues.

They enabled me to just stick paper on,cut through arch and push papers to the arch form quite quickly.

Tel

I prefer to print on good quality matte photo matte paper and then stick to card using double sided tape or print direct to card stock and then laminate with d/s tape to get the required thickness. I model in N so use thinner card than larger scale might require.

Andrew

Archived