O Gauge baseboard construction

cromptonnut

I have a small 3ftx18in basboard made up but not used that has been left lening against a wall in a shed then moved into store now back n another shed still as flat as when made.

I have the opposite problem - they end up bent and twisted the day I make them, I have the carpentry skills of an alcoholic turnip.

• RMweb Gold

The frames I make up (see photo in earlier post do not require great carpentry skills. Don't buy your ply from anywhere it is stacked on edge it will already have warped. I get in from builders merchants who store it flat and buy in big sheets most will cut it down for you. Then put it together before it warps or at least store it flat.

The key to keeping a baseboard flat is diagonal bracing. I either use 1in sq or 33x18mm timber reject any warped bits or use them for shorter pieces. The diagonal bits are halved at the joints but it only needs to be rough just fill in with no nails or similar. When assembling I work on a flat surface ( the floor is often quite good) put resin w on the diagonals then pin down then add screws to hold if the diagonals are flat on the floor and the top is held down as you fix it it will stay like that. Once made try flexi the board you will see the difference. No diagonals and it will twist, diagonals and it won't.

This is the underside of a 2mm layout. There are small cut outs in the diagonals for wiring runs keeps the wires up out of the way.

post-8525-0-38182800-1305068912_thumb.jpg

edit added photo showing wiring cutouts

post-8525-0-70108500-1299054035_thumb.jpg

Archived