Erith Model Railway Society

bbishop

In the absence of Paddington Paul, I'm posting details of this show. It's in a new venue:

The Business Academy

Yarnton Way

Erith

Kent

DA18 4DW

on Saturday 28 January from 10:00am to 5:00pm

and Sunday 29 January from 10:00am to 4:30pm

I will let Paul post details of admission, public transport and travel details.

There will be more than 30 layouts, trade support and learned societies; including the German Railway Society presenting my semi-scenicked test track.

Bill

Erith Model Railway Society presents its annual January model railway exhibition in a new bigger, better venue which boasts a large free car park, increased seating capacity in the catering area (350 seats) and better access for both cars and by public transport.

The new venue is:-

The Business Academy Bexley

Yarnton Way

Erith

Kent DA18 4DW

Nearest mainline station Abbey Wood (Woolwich Line from Charing Cross to Dartford)

Served by B11, 180 and 401 buses (stops are immedialtely outside Academy).

Use Bus Stop C (Harrow Manorway) for buses from Abbey Wood Station to venue using service 180 (10 minutes max).

Venue is located in TfL Zone 4.

Yarnton Way is signposted off A2016 (Eastern Way) and is less than 6 miles (15 minutes) from the M25 (Dartford River Crossing).

Entry Prices:-

Adult £6.00

Concession: £5.00

Child (5-16): £3.00

Family: £15.00

Entry includes free exhibition guide

Featuring over 30 layouts:-

Alford Brewery - Cheshire OO

Ashdown Junction - British Modern Image OO

Barstaple Street - British EM

Batty Moor - LMS/BR 1940-60 N

Blackshaw Yard - BR O

Blindheim - Germany O

Charmouth - GWR 1930's O

Deyton Heights - USA 1940/50s HO

Eigh Bay Halt - MR pre-1914 O

Folley Railway, The - Children's have-a-go OO

Foxley Junction TMD - British Modern Image OO

Haven Hill Junction - USA 1940's On30

Hornby Dublo 3 Rail

Jimston - BR O

Leavesden - BR(NSE) 85-96 O

Lyndefield - BR(S) OO

Midsomer - BR 1950-70 OO

Modular Layout - Various N

Nantyglo Mine - British O-16.5

Netherhall & Fletching - BR(S) 1960's OO

Ottösschwande und Schweighoüsen Schiefer Steinbruch - Germany N

Purbeck - British 009

Riversdale - USA 1960s HO

Ronsthorpe - British N

Saneham Tey - BR(E) 1955-86 N

South Sheppey - BR(S) EM

Springfield - Eastern England OO

St Michael's Live Steam - OO

The Mill - British 1950's O-16.5

Titanic/Ocean Dock - OO

Whistling Woods - USA HO

Model Buildings Demoonstration by Michael Tucker

Modelling Demonstration by Paul Wade

Tree Making Demonstration by Jacqui Perrat

Gauge 1 Wagon Buildign Demonstration by Tony Riley

Modelling Demonstration by Members of Southwark MRC

Modelling Demonstration by Members of DOGA

Scratch Built Locos, Carriages & Wagons in Plasticard by Steve Sharp

Exhibition also features full trade and society support with over 90 stands in total.

Very surprised how few posts there have been on this thread to date bearing in mind that we are talking about a relatively large exhibition (at a new venue) within the Greater London area.

Either-:

• I'm the only one going(!).
  • Most of the attendees do not read RMWeb.
  • The attendees are generally of the older generation who are not particularly Internet savvy.

Hopefully by the end of this weekend this thread will have a few more posts.

I may be the older generation but I am Internet savvy.

Just setting off to the show. Drop by and help me keep young Bill in order!

Tony

Erm 'Young Bill'? :lol: Should be there this afternoon so will no doubt have a natter.

Colin

There were some good exhibits there but I personally found the actual layout of the rooms very poor with inadequate walkway gaps, and my wife got very fed up with being pushed by people (although I did explain that this is fairly common at exhibitions and not necessarily the fault of this particular show - although the walkways obviously were a factor in this).

I would have liked to have spent longer there but sadly after about an hour we'd had enough of the crush and gave up.

I note that this is the first year at this venue and that may have a factor into things, but my opinion is that the rooms used were not best suited for an event such as a model railway exhibition. I'm not sure if there are other rooms available or not, as I'm unfamiliar with the venue - but if it remains in the same rooms and format as this year I shall, sadly, not be returning next year.

Having organised an exhibition a number of times myself in the past I know these things are not easy, but I think there were simply too many things in not enough space.

Went to the Erith clubs show today with my son and a friend from our club and had a very enjoyable few hours.

The new venue is markedly better than the previous site which had unfortunately been outgrown by the popularity of this show.

I thought the variety of layouts was very good and especially enjoyed the O gauge modern image layouts. The traders were pretty good in general - I always go looking for a bargain but end up finding the cheapest place is still the Signal Box in Rochester which is my local shop.

Anyone reading this tonight who is able to go tomorrow I can recomend it.

Many thanks to those involved with arranging it - will definately be returning next year if allowed by SWMBO.

There were some good exhibits there but I personally found the actual layout of the rooms very poor with inadequate walkway gaps, and my wife got very fed up with being pushed by people (although I did explain that this is fairly common at exhibitions and not necessarily the fault of this particular show - although the walkways obviously were a factor in this).

I would have liked to have spent longer there but sadly after about an hour we'd had enough of the crush and gave up.

I note that this is the first year at this venue and that may have a factor into things, but my opinion is that the rooms used were not best suited for an event such as a model railway exhibition. I'm not sure if there are other rooms available or not, as I'm unfamiliar with the venue - but if it remains in the same rooms and format as this year I shall, sadly, not be returning next year.

Having organised an exhibition a number of times myself in the past I know these things are not easy, but I think there were simply too many things in not enough space.

Far less of a crush than at St.Albans. And the children were generally better behaved too!

Good to see though that the exhibition was so well attended in this age of austerity.

Despite the comments above about the inadeaquet walkway gaps I liked the new venue, giving a Model Railway Exhibition a bit more of a twenty-first century feel.

And the catering wasn't bad by Exhibition standards either with very reasonble prices.

My main problem was keeping that wallet closed, the Signal Box had some tempting bargains................... Noting that the Hornby Blue/Grey Gresley buffet has already been heavily discounted.

We hadn't intended to sample the catering as we were on our way to a family lunch anyway, but I do agree with your comments that there were some good layouts there.

As I am currently layout planning there was little I needed to buy - although I did pick up some long static grass fibres whilst I saw them as I thought they might look good and suitable for O gauge.

Perhaps the fact it was quite crowded was that it was very busy and we just went at the wrong time. However, the comments about shoving, people being rude etc do come up in a lot of "post exhibition reports".

It was the first show I'd got to for a long time - 2011 was a very busy year for me and we only got to the East Grinstead exhibition and didn't even manage our own club's show.

I went along on Sunday morning, soon after it opened, and I was pleasantly surprised by how 'crush free' it was (having experienced it on the Saturday afternoon at the old venue last year). I had plenty of space to move around and never felt crowded or jostled. It had filled up more by the time I left, but it seems Sunday morning is a more relaxing time to visit (and at other exhibitions too?). Oh, and my favourite layout was 'Purbeck'.

Alan

Well only ColinW came along to say hello. My thanks to him for sorting out my lighting rig. Well it was easy for Colin as he'll not much short of 7 foot and I'm a tad over 5 foot.

Bill

I'm 6'5" Bill (should make it easier for people to find me at the Tonbridge Show). Thought the show went well and the new venue much better than the 'rabbit warren' of the school it used to be held at. Saturday did appear to be busy especially when we got there early afternoon, but was still busy close to closing time.

Colin

Interesting nf3996, maybe we'll give that a try next year and see if sunday is any better for us, assuming there are things I want to see of course.

I tend to be rather selective in my exhibition visiting as I don't have many free weekends, so I need to make the most of it and make sure there are things I want to see (or buy) rather than all and any show that happens to be within reach.

And the catering wasn't bad by Exhibition standards either with very reasonble prices.

Food itself was OK and good value, but the main problem was the slow service at peak times. I queued for over half an hour on Saturday, from just before 1:00 'til gone 1:30 - and then had to wait another five minutes for knives and forks which were still being washed up.

Of course, much of this is outside the show organisers direct control - but ought to be mentioned as room for improvement if at all possible.

Archived