loksound 8 bit decoders

Piemanlarger

I have about 8 loksound "8 bit /1 minute" decoders,some are v 3 some v3.5.

Generally the sounds /recordings /projects on them are old, some 5+ years and obviously compared to "recent" sound chips they are not as good.

so,can they be used for "recent" projects, or am i better off flogging them and putting the dosh to new chips / projects?

I suppose they could be used for things like sounds in a wagon /carridge?

any ideas?

• RMweb Gold

i did put a list of howes 1 minute chip locos on the old incarnation of rmweb, i'll have a word with bryan to email me the list again so you can see what options you have

i had a 1min chip in a 37/4 until recently, there is a vid on my youtube channel, the only difference was there were less functions, prime mover sounds were the same as a current chip

Hi Jim,

two of the projects i want to update at Brians class 60 and 37/4 (mk 1 version i think with the loud spooling down sound), both on 8bit.

one of the main reasons is you cant have notching on 8 bit chips, chip upgrading has been something that I needed to do for at least 2 + years!

I would be interested in what Brian has to offer / ideasfor8bit chips.

I need to arrange to send him some 16bit chips for class 66, 67 and class 60. Same for Olivias (had a very speedy reply, always great customerservice i have found) and perhaps even Mr.Soundguy?

I could do with a couple of "carridge" sound chips for my PCV mail train. I wanted to fit a chip in a coach (Super BG) with the sounds of flange squael, roller shutter doors and anything else that would seem right

thanks

Simon

• RMweb Gold

REPLY FROM BRYAN

In answer to a point raised re Notching by Pieman.  Notching  is  available on a Lok 3.5 decoder whether a 1 or 2 minute version,  it is not available on a Lok3 as originally produced, but  by performing  a firmware update on it, it upgrades the decoder into a 1 minute Lok 3.5. I have just confirmed this by upgrading a Roco Lok3 fitted Pacific to Lok 3.5,  this gives the decoder 3 additional function keys and the ability to apply notching if required on a Diesel project,  I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. 

I have made up a list of sounds I can fit on to 1minute decoders, some would have to lose the odd function and on some, a shortening of the engine switch off sound which, on the larger locos can be very long,  in all cases the  prime mover sound structure is the same  as on the 2 minute version so nothing is lost there.

Any of the Howes steam loco projects will fit on a 1 minute decoder as the file lengths are much smaller for steam

The  list of Diesel  sound projects that will  fit on a 1 minute decoder if requested though Howes are as follows, 

Class 03,08,20,24,25,26,27,31,35,37/4,57,58, 60 MK1,142,150,153,156, and 158 . so there is plenty of scope for the reuse of a lok3 or 3.5 1 minute decoder. Whenever  a Lok3 is received for reblowing  it is firmware upgraded as part of the process and returns to the customer as a  1 minute Lok3.5.

Bryan

Archived