Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Munsell Colour References - Access!

Penlan

Probably in the wrong area, but here goes..... Edit - Oh, thanks Mods, got it right.

In the latest MRJ - 212 - there is a letter from R.J.Harvey in respect of Colours on the Southern etc., and throughout he has used the Munsell colour references to indicate the colours he has seen, indeed these references are also used in the original LSWR Livery Guide published by the HMRS back in 1970, I couldn't refer to the colours then, I can't now.

I can only find one post on this version of RMweb mentioning Munsell Colours, halfway down the page by Natalie at http://www.rmweb.co....__1#entry223437 where the Munsell colour system is used.

I thought to myself "How much is a book of reference colours.....?"

Well from Munsell themselves, £777 + Vat, there are a few on Amazon at around £350 (ex. Libaries), so not that easy a reference to get hold of.

A year or two ago on RMweb, I mentioned that back in the 70's the HMRS tried to get a common point of colour reference that was International, Affordable and reasonably easy to access - the conclusion was the Stanley Gibbons Stamp Colour Guide of 200 Colours for £16.50, see http://www.stanleygi...82/8027/SG34391

Now I agree, that's not as extensive as the 1,600 in the Munsell book, there are always subtle variations - one only has to look at the colour charts in B&Q. I can never find the colour I want exactly, but I can tell a friend in Aberdeen what colour I more or less mean and he pops in to B&Q and gets the reference strip. With the Stanly Gibbons colour guide I tell my lad in Oz what colour I want/need/mean, simples!

So, what's this post about ? - Colour references and should there be a sub-reference for those of us who can't get to see a copy of Munsell (I've tried, believe me and mainly met with a blank stare), as Munsell seems to be the (or a) 'Industrial Standard' work.

The floor is yours....

Thinking about this further.... Yes of course there has to be an academic point of reference, to make sure there is no ambiguity, but then who or what are the HMRS's Livery Registers aimed at, thus I would have thought a sub-reference (which I suppose somebody will equate to as sub-standard) is needed for lay people to reference to.

I had a lot of trouble years ago trying to match a colour for the LNWR's spilt milk on coaches, working from an original chip of paint - I ended up with something between Duck-Egg Blue and French Grey, certainly nowhere near white when seen alone - out of context with Plum and Yellow Ochre/Gold (?) panel lining.

• RMweb Premium

Must admit I'd never heard of Munsell, tended to use Pantone or RAL in my day job; for internet discussion I too use the B&Q colour swatches.

Anyway, there's a pdf of the Munsell chart and other ideas here:-

http://www.wetcanvas...ad.php?t=556203

So now all you need is a really accurate colour printer....

I don't see what the Stanley Gibbons chart does better than Dulux(?)/B&Q, the latter has much more than 200 shades

I don't see what the Stanley Gibbons chart does better than Dulux(?)/B&Q, the latter has much more than 200 shades

Only that Stanley Gibbons is International - Gwiwer in Oz for instance won't have a B&Q store nearby....

But otherwise I agree, B&Q, but then again their Charts change, some colours I had 10 years ago are no longer in their ranges.

Had a look at your reference 'Here is a Munsell Color System Wall Chart that Professor Hans Irtel has published for the whole world to download for free:'

http://www.uni-mannheim.de/fakul/psy...Munsell_A0.pdf

Many thanks, as you say it's just the printer now........

.... and having printed off an A4 sized chart (set to 25%) from the .pdf file, I find the screen is much brighter than the print

• RMweb Premium

.... and having printed off an A4 sized chart (set to 25%) from the .pdf file, I find the screen is much brighter than the print

Windows colour management is a whole nightmare in itself, tricky to get absolutley right without fiddly/expenisve calibration.

Archived