Monmouth 5th Feb 2012

• RMweb Gold

Model Railway Exhibition05/02/12

Duration: 10 am- 5pm

The Rotary Club of Monmouth is oraganising a Model Railway Exhibition which will raise money for community projects and local charities. There will be various railway layouts and demonstrations

Venue: Monmouth Leisure Centre, Old Dixton Road NP 25 3D

Cost: Adults £4, Children?OAPs £3, Family (2+2) £10

• RMweb Gold

Not at this stage, I'm nothing to do with the organisers, so I've asked the question. The local free paper (the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley Review) states that there will be more than 16 layouts, mainly entered from the surrounding area. The owners will be on hand to demonstrate their skills and talk to other enthusiasts. There should also be an opportunity for those new to model trains to try their hand at running the sets. On static display will be 10 large working engines from garden layouts.

The All Components website http://www.allcomponents.co.uk/news_pages/forthcoming-exhibitions-1125.html states that they'll be there, but other than that, I've no idea.

I gather that two P4 layouts are making the journey up the A449 from Newport, know no more than that. Geoff

Rob Foot's Crockherbtown and Bernie Baker's Allt-y-Graban Road are the two layouts from Newport. I've volunteered to assist with the latter layout. I gather this is a new venture by the Rotary Club and it would seem that they haven't quite grasped the 'normal' protocols associated with model railway shows in terms of publicity and information. Thus far they seem to have advertised in a very general way as they would for a fete or a firework display!

Tony Comber

• RMweb Gold

Oops. I've got the post code wrong. It is NP25 3DP. I still haven't heard from the organisers telling me which layouts and traders will be there, so it looks like I'll have to go look see.

• RMweb Gold

Not a bad little show. A real mix of P4, OO, modern image, big 4, American N, 5" gauge static models, a layout for the kids and a good few traders. Managed to buy a few things and get some ideas and inspiration. I'd be happy for a repeat performance.

I have to say that Allt-y-Graban was all I expected and more ... lovely modelling, excellent location setting, smooth running (partly attributed to DCC) and brilliant for watching the trains go by. My visit was enriched by wise advice on track building from a very knowledgeable Newport MRC member, much appreciated. Date published in the (free) show guide for next year, Sunday 3rd February 2013.

Archived