Springs Branch Depot - Research

Deltic Man

Good Evening All

After just commissioning a replica of the Springs Branch Depot (wigan) in 4mm guage from one of the experts on RMWeb i am looking for help on other items at springs branch namley:-

1. track diagram as it was in the early 90's (I have pictures of google earth although quality not good)

2. Details of how locos were fuelled and where the fuel points were and any pictures anyone has?

3. Any other buildings other than the shed - pictures etc (most pictures on the web seem to be of locos!) again 90's

4. Was there a signal box and if so any pictures?

Finally any other pictures which may help namely of the loco storage sidings and any lighting etc..

I know this is a lot but I am getting limited pictures from google etc...

Many thanks :no:

Nik

• RMweb Gold

1. track diagram as it was in the early 90's (I have pictures of google earth although quality not good)

4. Was there a signal box and if so any pictures?

Nik

No signal box, Warrington PSB took the area in 1972, the commissioning plan includes a track diagram. Springs Branch No.1, No.2, Comptons Sidings were the ones in the immediate area, along with BEA sidings ground frame (which was a small signal box structure) in the down sidings.

hth

• RMweb Premium

The Wigan World website has a large number of photos from Springs Branch, over quite a time period, including some taken from the top of the lighting towers, so useful for the overall layout.

Hope this is of help,

Regards

Ian

The Wigan World website has a large number of photos from Springs Branch, over quite a time period, including some taken from the top of the lighting towers, so useful for the overall layout.

Hope this is of help,

Regards

Ian

Thank you for this I have got some good photos from there

Nik

Hello.

The www.wnxx.com website had a schematic of the track layout at one time. It may still be there.

I guess some of the older pictures from the archives might show some of the surroundings, although they will most likely concentrate on the condemned locomotives that were parked there.

Hope this helps,

David.

Hi Nik,

here are a couple of non-loco inspired pictures:

The distinctive water tank situated to the left of the main entrance road.

post-6704-0-86990700-1327052379.jpg

The booking on point and offices - I think that after it closed as a proper working depot, these were no longer used. The CRDC admin function moved into the side buildings attached to the main depot building.

post-6704-0-56866600-1327052388.jpg

hi steve

This is great many thanks

Nik

Hello.

The www.wnxx.com website had a schematic of the track layout at one time. It may still be there.

I guess some of the older pictures from the archives might show some of the surroundings, although they will most likely concentrate on the condemned locomotives that were parked there.

Hope this helps,

David.

Thanks David I will check there now

nik

Thanks for all the photos there great. If anyone has anymore out thee please feel free to share them the more information I can find out the better.

On another site I see some modellors on the forum have printed out trackplans to scale (which I believe is templot) does anyone know if anyone offers it as a service to design a track plan on this or indeed any other software ? I have the Springs branch track plan just want to see if it fits on my boards or where I may need to increase the size of them?(Also want to design other parts of the layout)

thanks again

Nik

• 11 months later...

Nearly all of my Pics of The Branch are in late steam / early diesel days.

Some posted here,  Feb 1969, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52572-why-is-this-so-rarely-modelled/page-18

Hope these may be of interest. Taken around 1970, showing signalboxes and semaphores and 8F's breakdown train called to a job south of town.

post-6884-0-59864800-1358281742.jpg

post-6884-0-72399700-1358281769.jpg

I dont know when the breakdown train was transfered away / scrapped.

Here is something we didn't see every day back then

post-6884-0-26841000-1358281943.jpg

Brit15

Archived