How and where to start Modelling in N Gauge

Well Its something i have been thinking of doing for a while. But have always modelled in 00 Gauge and want to know some basic information to get me started in the scale. The other thing i am looking for is a small round and round track plan but havnt found anything suitable. Does anyone have any suggestions for a track plan?

Thanks for helping

Scott

• RMweb Premium

If you're modelling the UK I would suggest Peco code 55. It's much stronger than the 80 and looks much better. Try to keep a minimum radius of 12 inches if you want steam outline. Although most locos will work on smaller radius I suspect in time more will come out suggesting a minimum 12 inch radius. This radii will also allow the use of the better front bogies.

Newer stock is very good but there are still items out there that really badly show their age. Some of the old Farish steam outline fall straight into this category. In some ways much of the freight and passenger stock is better than the old locos. The MK2 coaches are dated as are the Farish MK3's

• RMweb Premium

I would make the curves out of flexi as it's cheaper.

I can't really suggest a good place that will give you the track plan you want but just keep looking through the layouts on here. Don't restrict yourself to the n stuff have a look at the OO, whilst theoretically your n space of 10x2 should equal 20x4 in OO you would be better off looking at OO layouts no bigger than 15x3.

Or a little bit wider, as an 00 layout is unlikely to loop back in 3' of width but as pointed out N can loop back in 2'. But Kris's point is (I presume) that it's better to allow for a bit more feeling of space in the smaller scale rather than just cramming four times as much into the same area.

One possible difference in N gauge is that roundy layouts tend to have a visible area that is straight or gently curved, with the tight curves at either end hidden off-scene. I've not often seen 00 layouts doing this.

• RMweb Premium

Or a little bit wider, as an 00 layout is unlikely to loop back in 3' of width but as pointed out N can loop back in 2'. But Kris's point is (I presume) that it's better to allow for a bit more feeling of space in the smaller scale rather than just cramming four times as much into the same area.

That's what I was aiming at. The point radii are slightly different in the 2 scales as well so leaving the extra space allows for this. going for 75% was an easy choice.

Archived