Question re: OO platform details

I've been searching online over the past several months for platform detailing items suitable for a late 1950s Midland region railway -- benches, lamps (working LEDs preferred) and other errata. It appears from my perspective (which is 6,000 miles away) that there's not much selection out there. Mostly plastic, mostly generic. And there appears to be even less information on the real things online.

P&D Marsh seem to have a few decent items, and DCC Concepts makes some appealing, but pricey, lamps.

OK, so much for the moaning.

Can someone help me find more information? I'd even entertain the idea of making my own benches and lamps if I had the proper data.

Thanks!

Most working lamps tend to be generic.

For more specific items you could have alook at the Mike's Models range of lamps (non-working), buffer stops, water cranes, yard cranes and water tanks, plus a few other odds and sods besides. For this range, go to Holt Model Railways' website.

Langley Miniature Models also produce lots of white metal fittings and bits and pieces, and, I think, some working lamps. They have an online catalogue.

There have been all sorts of accessory items like this produced over the years, but by many different small firms, some of which are now unobtainable. In many cases the old pre-Grouping platform equipment survived certainly into the early '60s in most cases, some still lingering on into the present century so you'll need to decide whether your LMR line is ex-Midland, LNWR, L&YR, etc.

Dart Castings and their Shirescenes partner(?) do ranges of suitable items, etched seats and trolleys for a number of pre-grouping companies, and a number of different styles of lights, but, unfortunately, they seem to be mainly out of stock at the moment. I have the LSWR etching and that is very good and useful. Scalelink do have a series of etchs covering seats and platform trolleys, one for each of the Big Four companies, and they also have a few cast seats that might be of use. Southwark Bridge Models also do a number of etches for seats, trolleys and barrows. Although none are specifically of Midland origin there are various offerings that might suit yor needs.

To get an idea of the different styles of platform furniture that would probably still be in use on former LMS stations, the Wild Swan books, LMS Lineside Part 1 and Part 2 would be very useful. They include drawings of a number of items. For more details take a look at http://titfield.co.uk/WSP_OTHR.htm

Archived