Zimo MX695KV & Smoke!

TheSnapper

I am replacing a Loksound XL chip in my 0 Gauge JLTRT Class 37, with a Zimo 695KV from Digitrains, with "Mr Chetter's Multidrive Soundfile".

The loco is also fitted with a Peter Clark Smoke Unit, which I want to be able to contol from my NCE ProCab, as I could with the XL.

Settings for that chip are descibed here on Simon Varnam's great site:

http://www.7mmlocomo...id=60&Itemid=45

I need to be able to switch the fan on & off, for plenty of clag on start-up etc!

Just wondering if anyone has done this (Paul?), and can offer any tips, CV settings etc

Thanks in advance

Tim

I am replacing a Loksound XL chip in my 0 Gauge JLTRT Class 37, with a Zimo 695KV from Digitrains, with "Mr Chetter's Multidrive Soundfile".

The loco is also fitted with a Peter Clark Smoke Unit, which I want to be able to contol from my NCE ProCab, as I could with the XL.

Settings for that chip are descibed here on Simon Varnam's great site:

http://www.7mmlocomo...id=60&Itemid=45

I need to be able to switch the fan on & off, for plenty of clag on start-up etc!

Just wondering if anyone has done this (Paul?), and can offer any tips, CV settings etc

Thanks in advance

Tim

Tim,

That info is good if you only have a Lok XL.

The Zimo MX695KV has much more sophisticated smoke generator controls built in and it would be a shame to miss out on them by using an on/off relay - it really is a quantum leap forward in every respect, not just smoke!

I've used one of these generators for steam, not diesel. (And I used the 'HO' size decoder, MX645). The installation is basically the same, but the CVs will be different. You really need to download the decoder manual if you haven't already done so.

You don't need the relay - that's just for wimpy decoders, Ha Ha!!

Your MX695KV has 6A continuous rating, with an additonal 2A just for Function Outputs.

You don't need, in fact you must disconnect, the control circuit board on the generator, and unplug the fan wires from the socket too.

Do not connect power to the generator's 'power in' socket.

You can either cut off the part of the board with the electronics attached altogether, or cut through the traces to isolate it but leave it physically in place. Use a razor saw or similar to cut through the top layer, making sure complete isolation occurs.

Connect the fan direct to the decoder using the special fan control connections provided, (see decoder manual).

You need to connect the heating coils direct to the decoder too. You will see on the board below the smoke generator that the coils are soldered there, (quite chunky soldering). One end of the two parallel heater coils are soldered together with a solder 'bridge' between them. At the other end, they are soldered separately. The two coils are therefore wired in series. It is important that they remain this way otherwise they will draw excessive current. (The decoder should be be OK with that but the generator will get too hot).

Solder (you will need a good soldering iron for this) a wire to each of the two 'unbridged' soldered connections from the heaters. These will need to be connected to a spare FO on the decoder.

CAUTION. The fan needs a 5v supply and the heaters 9v. The dedicated fan connections on the decoder will give the correct voltage, but the heaters will receive 16 - 22V by default. You will need to set CV 137, 138 and 39 to give correct max voltage, BEFORE you try it out!.

You will be able to set values for the amount of smoke on engine start-up, tickover, acceleration, variations with load, steady running and coasting, which will all be different. The MX695KV also has a 'fan brake' which makes any downward changes in fan speed (for less smoke) instantly applied so the changes in smoke volume are more closely tied to changes in the throttle position than with other decoders without this function.

Good luck

Paul

Paul

Thank you - what a brilliant reply !

I have downloaded the manual and am trying to get my head around the fact that it is so different to the Loksound one, which I've been used to for the last few years.

I can't wait to try it - I'll let you know how I get on.......

Best regards

Tim

Paul

Thank you - what a brilliant reply !

I have downloaded the manual and am trying to get my head around the fact that it is so different to the Loksound one, which I've been used to for the last few years.

I can't wait to try it - I'll let you know how I get on.......

Best regards

Tim

Tim,

No problem. If my post helped, you could click the 'Like This' button to register approval. (I just discovered it gets added to one's profile!).

If you have specific queries on the CVs needed, just ask!

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived