the titfield thunderbolt

wootang

Further abut the film, it was largely shot on the then closed Limpley Stoke branch,  and the rushes (aka 'lavenders')  were viewed daily in a water mill building using the power generated by the mill's wheel/generator set.  This was called Oakle Pitcher Mill, on the farm of the same name, Its owner who installed the generator plant, having died in WW2 while serving as a Lancaster rear gunner.

Further abut the film, it was largely shot on the then closed Limpley Stoke branch,  and the rushes (aka 'lavenders')  were viewed daily in a water mill building using the power generated by the mill's wheel/generator set.  This was called Oakle Pitcher Mill, on the farm of the same name, Its owner who installed the generator plant, having died in WW2 while serving as a Lancaster rear gunner.

Apparently the makeshift cinema was known as the "Hydrodeon"! 

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

I am attempting to model a Titfield train in 2mm scale, it is tricky to tell what colour the 14xx was but I use weathered black. I have seen a photo of a 14xx at Monkton Combe with GWR still on the tanks which suggests it was green. I have scratchbuilt a well wagon for the coach body. The coach body in the film was only a studio prop. I also have a Bedford OB / Aveling & Porter roller and Bullnose Morris in suitable colours, only things missing are the tramway coach and Lion itself...!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I was just watched an old episode of "Dad's Army" - Episode "Battle School." Lo and behold! The train in the very first shot is a 14xx with the ex-W&U coach and a GWR Brake Van! The train in the next shot looks like a J15 with a pair of old bogie compartment coaches.

Some Titfield footage is also used in the episode where Captain Mainwaring takes a flight on a barrage balloon!

Another link between Titfield and Dad's Army is that having done a Titfield gala a few years ago, the North Norfolk Railway will be having a Dad's Army weekend at Weybourne (seen in the "Royal Train" episode) on the late May Bank holiday, including a certain butcher's van!

I've thought about doing a bit of a "Titfield Branch" train. I have a 14xx in GWR livery which I can re-spray into weathered/grimey black. The Brake van is easy enough as a standard R-T-R GWR Van. I would like to know a little more about the cattle wagon which seems to have been used as a general merchandise/ventilated van with the "Squire" taking his strawberries to market in it.

The only real challenge is the ex-Wisbech and Upwell coach. I've thought about taking two Bachmann "Henrietta" coaches and splicing them together and mounting them on bogies. I was thinking of using the NSWGR 2AA Passenger bogie. It's HO scale, but if you take a 4mm scale ruler over them, they have a 5'0" wheelbase and 2'7" wheels which will help keep the low-slung appearance of the prototype.

bo11.jpg

A cheap and cheerful kit-bash - not exact scale by any means, but it will be recognisably the train to Titfield!

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 5

I picked up a D&S etched kit for the W&U coaches (1 bogie, the other  wheel) from one of the Warley stands last November. Forgetton which at the moment, but given a plan I could probably work out which. Apparently, every year they get some new kits delivered just in time for the show. So they are available if you search them out!

Stewart

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I have also decided to make the Titfield Thunderbolt train, and the station itself, the blog of making which can be found here on RMweb.

The base of the train will be Hornby's Titfield Thunderbolt pack, containing the correctly liveried 1401 and Brakevan. The tramway coach itself will be made using a Bachmann Henrietta. Finally, the cattle wagon is a standard Bachmann release. Photos of the train and layout can be seen below.

~Matt~

post-23290-0-48921600-1432844356_thumb.png

post-23290-0-60110700-1432844575_thumb.jpeg

post-23290-0-06845800-1432844577_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought that I would resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm planning on making a model of the train as it appears at the end of the film and wondered if anybody knows of an OO scale model (brass, 3D print etc.) of the ex GWR Loriot Y (41989) used for mounting Dan's 'house'? As one of the two that were built has been preserved I'm hoping that someone may have produced a kit. Failing an existing model I would be happy to scratchbuild if you can direct me to a suitable drawing of the wagon. I know the major dimensions but most of the photos I've found of preserved 41990 have been taken at an angle.

My second query is regarding the Toad van. Which of the currently available RTR or kit versions is the best for representing the film version?

I'm attempting to make the model as accurate as possible and to this end have already started to modify figures to represent the squire, vicar and bishop as they are the most visible occupants of the train. I've had to put up with the burdensome task lately of having to watch the film a couple of times to get livery details etc. Just one of the many sacrifices I make for our difficult hobby! :locomotive: 

Dave R

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Not an April Fool, but Rapido Trains are planning a release of Lion and the various coaches, having obtained full license by STUDIOCANAL, who own the right.

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/the-titfield-thunderbolt-70th-anniversary-range/