Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Big Big Train = Big Big Fun...

bcnPete

I guess my first real experience with model trains was growing up with the Big Big Train and many hours of fun was had together with my brother using the clip together plastic track, rolling stock and quirky scenic additions. At 7mm scale it was easy to manage for our slightly clumsy fingers.

Whilst I only had the basic set, with a Hymek a Mk II coach and some wagons, the collection somehow either got put in the loft at my parents house and then passed on to a jumble sale.

Fast forward the clock some 35 years and to my surprise, my brother has started a small collection after seeing some for sale on eBay. Soon the collection became extended after a year and this Christmas when we returned to visit my family, he set it up for my two young boys in his living room for them to play.

Suffice to say, they had a great time...in fact the four of us did...and my brother remarked that there doesn't seem to be anything else similiar to match this these days for children....I guess they are far more interested in haggling over PSP's, Smart phones, Wii's etc...normally my two are... :yes:

The Hymeks (I think he has 7 or so now) really fly with their 6 or so A size batteries in them, cornering really well on the rails and hauling 3 Mk II's and 6 when we double headed them!

I know the Mk II coach is too short (by one window I recall) but my brother couldn't resist to paint one in Blue grey and also a Hymek in BR Blue. Although he handpainted them, they turned out very convincingly and added something a little extra special for us during the 3 hours or so as we remember the period fondly. I am also aware that I have seen on the forum previously that someone has used the Mk II's by cutting and splicing and adding another window and they really scrubbed up well for such an old design.

I attach a couple of photos showing a part shot of the track (it disappeared around the rest of the adjoining room in a large loop) and the rolling stock...I did try and persuade him to paint the track and make a small display plank but I think he would rather keep most of it in original condition for future resale one day. Having seen some of the prices that these exchange for on eBay these days I think it is a good plan.

Part overall of the trackplan...

One of the Hymeks repainted and the repainted MK II coaches...

As I said, Big Trains and Big Fun...my two boys are certainly looking forward to the next visit to their Uncle's house...and I must confess, I am too... :D

I had a set with the bright red track, the yellow shunter, a large blue bogie open and a few other wagons. It wasn't big-big brand on the box but I now know where they orginated from. I played with it in my parents garden during the summer months as a child and boasted to friends at school we had a garden railway! :blush: Like yours it got packed away and ended up at the jumble sale too. Thanks for reminding me of happy memories! :biggrin_mini2:

Carl.

Bought one of the loco's and track plus two Mkii for £7 on a car boot once!

Take a look at this for what can be done with them http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3431&hilit=garden+railway there are some flush glazing kits out there as well for them.

This topic is kinda similar to my one on plastic kits for loco's, a few people mentioned it would work better in O

Well I think of nothing better than say a 25 on 4 or 5 MkI's in the garden bombing round a nice landscaped bit of track and at reasonable prices, I wouldn;t wish to spenf 3 or 40o quid on a loco no matter how amazingly detailed it was, but those lengthened and respreayed MkII's looked fine (IMO)

How's about bring Big Big Train back for the 21st Century with an HST, an 8F etc, etc, Nice.

Archived