Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Big Big Train = Big Big Fun...

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

I guess my first real experience with model trains was growing up with the Big Big Train and many hours of fun was had together with my brother using the clip together plastic track, rolling stock and quirky scenic additions. At 7mm scale it was easy to manage for our slightly clumsy fingers.

Whilst I only had the basic set, with a Hymek a Mk II coach and some wagons, the collection somehow either got put in the loft at my parents house and then passed on to a jumble sale.

Fast forward the clock some 35 years and to my surprise, my brother has started a small collection after seeing some for sale on eBay. Soon the collection became extended after a year and this Christmas when we returned to visit my family, he set it up for my two young boys in his living room for them to play.

Suffice to say, they had a great time...in fact the four of us did...and my brother remarked that there doesn't seem to be anything else similiar to match this these days for children....I guess they are far more interested in haggling over PSP's, Smart phones, Wii's etc...normally my two are... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/yes.gif

The Hymeks (I think he has 7 or so now) really fly with their 6 or so A size batteries in them, cornering really well on the rails and hauling 3 Mk II's and 6 when we double headed them!

I know the Mk II coach is too short (by one window I recall) but my brother couldn't resist to paint one in Blue grey and also a Hymek in BR Blue. Although he handpainted them, they turned out very convincingly and added something a little extra special for us during the 3 hours or so as we remember the period fondly. I am also aware that I have seen on the forum previously that someone has used the Mk II's by cutting and splicing and adding another window and they really scrubbed up well for such an old design.

I attach a couple of photos showing a part shot of the track (it disappeared around the rest of the adjoining room in a large loop) and the rolling stock...I did try and persuade him to paint the track and make a small display plank but I think he would rather keep most of it in original condition for future resale one day. Having seen some of the prices that these exchange for on eBay these days I think it is a good plan.

Part overall of the trackplan...

One of the Hymeks repainted and the repainted MK II coaches...

As I said, Big Trains and Big Fun...my two boys are certainly looking forward to the next visit to their Uncle's house...and I must confess, I am too... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/grin.gif

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if you could reproduce it with a different coloured track if it would still be a seller?

Possibly Kris...I guess in those days the track colour was supposed to be more fun like...but as we grew into more serious enthusiasts, we have become more critical...I bet you thought this thread was another new layout from me... :lol:

I think it was produced with black track for a while. I have a bag full of the red stuff to run my 16mm n.g. stock on.

Paul, hi - Yes...perhaps from another brand though. I recall having a 'Prairie Rocket' set which was a kettle and a few coaches, a loop of compatible black plastic track...and a few cowboys and Indians...

I always thought having a Y point (that's all that was available) was a bit limiting with trackwork configerations though...

Glad you have kept your collection for future reuse!

• RMweb Gold

What a fantastic idea, its a shame its no longer around, I can see it being a great way to get kids into model raiways.

Boris - Agreed - It sort of is still around...but I guess only through ebay...it certainly got my brother and I into model railways

Blimey I remember this stuff, a friend of mine had some. Hours of fun playing with this when I was a lot younger, and smaller!

Wasn't there an industrial type diesel loco also?

Nigel - In the top photo there are a couple of yellow shunters...is this what you meant? There is also a barrell loader which drops small barrells into 16 Ton mineral wagons via a little clip you attach to the wagon. There were some really simple nice and clever designs available which were quite robust for small fingers etc...

• RMweb Gold

Ive always thought there is a market for larger scale simple stuff (and not just for kids ;) )

Absolutely....It has a nice scale about it when you hold the rolling stock...I guess when my eyes deteriorate further than they already are I will be upscaling to 7mm scale...all things Wenfordbridge like!

I had some Big Big come in a job lot, it was fun to play with outside, but then some LGB came my way ...and the Big Big had to go...

There are quite a few people who exhibit BB, there was a large layout at the Warley/NEC show last November.

Otherwise, TCS or Alresford Vintage shows seem to be a favourite...see http://www.bigbigtrain.org.uk/Layouts.htm

Malcolm

What? No separately fitted details that break the moment you take them out of the box? Can't have that.... ;-)

ISTR a couple of articles in RM many years ago on converting the Hymek to an 85 or 71. Of course none of those would ever have been seen together....

This brings back memories! I had quite a lot of Big Big Train kit that I think was bought secondhand - I don't remember any packaging - I had the Hymek and a Diesel shunter (although I don't recall it being yellow as per the photos above, I think it was blue) and a green steam tank engine. I remember playing with it for hours in the open room above the carport (we lived in tropical climes so this was like a large covered balcony). I don't remember what happened to it after I moved onto a Hornby set (Christmas 1974)....but my parents certainly don't have it now!!! There were little black accessories that clipped into the track that I think stopped the train and possibly even reversed it and, my favourite, a barrel loader that sat over the track and dropped barrels as the train passed under it (I suppose that's pretty much what you'd expect from a barrel loader!).

• RMweb Premium

I still have my Big Big Train Set which was the first train set I ever received as a child 'way back in 1970!! This kick-started an obsession with model trains that has never waned...

I've gathered up a few Hymeks and half a dozen coaches, lengths of track etc. since and have always had the intention of running a line round the patio on Summer evenings, but somehow it's not materialised - maybe this year while everyone else is watching Messrs Bolt, Chambers et al...

• RMweb Gold

Yes, based on a narrow gauge Ruston LHT, but running on the same track and compatible with the Hymek although clearly a different scale.

and a strange colour too...guess the bright colour was to appeal to the kids...

Nah, it wasn't a blog :)

watch this space Kris :O

I had some Big Big come in a job lot, it was fun to play with outside, but then some LGB came my way ...and the Big Big had to go...

There are quite a few people who exhibit BB, there was a large layout at the Warley/NEC show last November.

Otherwise, TCS or Alresford Vintage shows seem to be a favourite...see http://www.bigbigtrain.org.uk/Layouts.htm

Malcolm

Thanks for the links - my brother had shown them to me before Christmas but its nice to see them again to bring back childhood and more recent Christmas memories...

The Lego trains have quite a following, and are just as robust, having witnessed one taking a corner at 200mph and flying across the exhibition hall yesterday...

Yikes - well, my brother normally has to give all the rolling stock a good service after my kids playing for a few hours...what is the obsession with crashing one train into the next?

What? No separately fitted details that break the moment you take them out of the box? Can't have that.... ;-)

ISTR a couple of articles in RM many years ago on converting the Hymek to an 85 or 71. Of course none of those would ever have been seen together....

Apparently Not! I guess they would have to write 'Adult collectors' and not toys these days!

This brings back memories! I had quite a lot of Big Big Train kit that I think was bought secondhand - I don't remember any packaging - I had the Hymek and a Diesel shunter (although I don't recall it being yellow as per the photos above, I think it was blue) and a green steam tank engine. I remember playing with it for hours in the open room above the carport (we lived in tropical climes so this was like a large covered balcony). I don't remember what happened to it after I moved onto a Hornby set (Christmas 1974)....but my parents certainly don't have it now!!! There were little black accessories that clipped into the track that I think stopped the train and possibly even reversed it and, my favourite, a barrel loader that sat over the track and dropped barrels as the train passed under it (I suppose that's pretty much what you'd expect from a barrel loader!).

Yep, that barrell loader rocks - had hours of fun with that too. The little black clips trigger the tabs on the sides of the locos, one side being on/off and the other forward/ reverse...I wonder how easy they are to chip....:lol:

I still have my Big Big Train Set which was the first train set I ever received as a child 'way back in 1970!! This kick-started an obsession with model trains that has never waned...

I've gathered up a few Hymeks and half a dozen coaches, lengths of track etc. since and have always had the intention of running a line round the patio on Summer evenings, but somehow it's not materialised - maybe this year while everyone else is watching Messrs Bolt, Chambers et al...

Go for it...you'll probably be amazed how smooth running it all works...mind you, my brother mostly buys non runners off eBay, strips them down and gets them working again...its not cheap with all those A size batteries though :O

My first train set (almost 30yrs ago - terrifying thought) was a Lego one. I'm not sure if anything since has come close in play value. I started out with a push along and graduated to battery power. Over the years it got added too, eventually becoming a huge network!

Of course the fun was that you could set it up in minutes and then rebuild it to different formats etc. an infinite number of times. with other Lego sets you could add buildings and scenery. The variety was huge, sometimes it was a branchline, others an industrial or occasionally a mainline. I even built a furnicular and a rack-railway! My brother and I would link our bedrooms by train, using radios to communicate!

I wish I'd never sold it at 18!!!

• RMweb Gold

I will see if I have a small vid to upload of the Hymek hurtling by!...

Not sure if

works...but just in case, select full screen, turn it up loud and listen for the sound of a double headed Hymek hauling 5 Mk II's....

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if

works...but just in case, select full screen, turn it up loud and listen for the sound of a double headed Hymek hauling 5 Mk II's....

yep it works Pete

Archived