Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

Three way points wired up successfully and the Bachmann 08 went through all of them successfully although I need to tweak one point/point motor as the throw isn't changing the polarity reliably at the moment. Next job is to lay the track into the goods depot. As I plan to have inset track, this will be laid on copper clad sleepers with check rails, that will then be sprayed to seal them and then I will use Das modelling clay mixed with PVA to infill between the tracks as I did on Upbech St Mary (that layout uses Peco track rather than the SMP used here). Great thing about a micro layout is that you can try new techniques to see if they work then if successful apply them elsewhere Once this is working reliably under analogue control I will wire up the Power Cab. It's driving me nuts at the moment as I really want to try it out as I think it will be a significant step on from the Lenz compact I have been using, but I think it will be a few more weeks yet as work keeps getting in the way including evenings and weekends.

I've made progress on the goods depot this week as the photos below demonstrate. In these two shots you can see a mock up of how the walls will look when assembled. Windows were added last night and interior and external wall stuck together. It is my intention to light both stories so I will have to detail the interior. Buttresses are now waiting to have wrappers added so that wall construction can start in earnest.

First shot shows the end walls:

attachicon.gifDSCF3532.JPG

Next is the end walls:

attachicon.gifDSCF3535.JPG

Once this section is completed I will have to link it to the rest of the factory and blend in the weathering. This is what the rest of the factory currently looks like:

attachicon.gifDSCF2929.JPG

Three way point in the foreground is one of those I have just rebuilt.

Superb

• RMweb Premium

In regards the Henreitia coach I got one for the same purpose to convert into W&U coach but compared to my J70 it seemed a bit over scale, the Bachmann Toby is also slightly larger than the J70 kits which would explain why the coach is bigger. Interestingly the old Ertl Toby toys are almost the correct size.

The Thomas and Friends Emily coaches are not too bad to convert into generic 6 wheel coaches, I cut the Clerestory off the roof filled in the hole and painted teak, I can dig out a photo if your interested (can also measure Henreitia or show comparison photos as its now my daughters). I think the Thomas old red coaches that Bachmann are brining out could be quite useful to convert too.

Jimmy

In regards the Henreitia coach I got one for the same purpose to convert into W&U coach but compared to my J70 it seemed a bit over scale, the Bachmann Toby is also slightly larger than the J70 kits which would explain why the coach is bigger. Interestingly the old Ertl Toby toys are almost the correct size.

The Thomas and Friends Emily coaches are not too bad to convert into generic 6 wheel coaches, I cut the Clerestory off the roof filled in the hole and painted teak, I can dig out a photo if your interested (can also measure Henreitia or show comparison photos as its now my daughters). I think the Thomas old red coaches that Bachmann are brining out could be quite useful to convert too.

Jimmy

Any photos could be really helpful, thanks.

Because I have one laying around doing nothing I've also considered hacking a Ratio four wheeler and placing it on smaller wheels. Not sure how viable this is but the coach isn't going to be used for anything else, might be worth a go.

Planned to do some work on scenery this week but as stuff didn't arrive in time decided finally to weather my pair of 4mts, Dread to think how long I've been putting this off. Plan was to make them look well used but still in reasonable nick as they would have been new in 1951. Locos also have crews, not that you can really see them.

43144 was a South Lynn engine for most of the early 50s.

post-12773-0-84860500-1464978539_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-76900600-1464978622_thumb.jpg

43155 was a Melton Constable loco

post-12773-0-59673200-1464978789_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-41155100-1464978805_thumb.jpg

Next project should be the 4f. I have evidence of 43937 at Melton constable during my time frame and heading east towards Great Yarmouth i around 1957 which is good enough for me. Tony Wright wrote an article on detailing a model of this very loco for a BRM article which will form the basis of a nice little project at some point.

post-12773-0-24423600-1464978814_thumb.jpg

Why does it sometimes post the same photo twice even when I remove it, very annoying!

post-12773-0-23209100-1464978798_thumb.jpg

Edited by mullie
  • Like 3

Jimmy

Jimmy, I would certainly find measurements and pictures useful. 

Somewhere I have my son's Bachmann Toby, which I ordered to supplement his Hornby Thomas train set as the Hornby Toby struck me as vastly too large.  I should find it and put it next to my white-metal C53. It's a pity my son never took to it, or I might have been drawn into returning to the hobby sooner!

Planned to do some work on scenery this week but as stuff didn't arrive in time decided finally to weather my pair of 4mts, Dread to think how long I've been putting this off. Plan was to make them look well used but still in reasonable nick as they would have been new in 1951. Locos also have crews, not that you can really see them.

43144 was a South Lynn engine for most of the early 50s.

attachicon.gif44 front 3.4.jpg

attachicon.gif44 rear 3.4.jpg

43155 was a Melton Constable loco

attachicon.gif55 front 3.4.jpg

attachicon.gif55 side.jpg

Next project should be the 4f. I have evidence of 43937 at Melton constable during my time frame and heading east towards Great Yarmouth i around 1957 which is good enough for me. Tony Wright wrote an article on detailing a model of this very loco for a BRM article which will form the basis of a nice little project at some point.

attachicon.gif4f front on.jpg

Why does it sometimes post the same photo twice even when I remove it, very annoying!

Very convincing.

Should really stop playing with the Nikon D3100  I've claimed off the eldest daughter as I don't really know what I'm doing with it!

J39, kept this in colour as it shows off the crew quite nicely.

post-12773-0-28819200-1465053665_thumb.jpg

Stormy weather- cue for a song!

post-12773-0-85135700-1465053727_thumb.jpg

More of the 4mts now they are back at work on the layout.

post-12773-0-82765300-1465053758_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-61242800-1465053786_thumb.jpg

Quite pleased with how the weathering has come out, work stained but with the lining still visible.

• Like 5

GModels great. Use plenty of light. Try the Macro leaf/flower symbol? on camera - or apperture priority/manual - on a tripod (or stable on the table) - choose largest f no. (Smallest aperture) and use plenty of light...slow speed

• RMweb Premium

Took a while to get around to but finally put together some comparison shots

post-12984-0-58466700-1465153770_thumb.jpeg

As mentioned the Bachmann Toby is somewhat over scale (and the Hornby one is even bigger!) I can't remember who made the kit but it's not silver fox, and on the end is the Ertl model.

post-12984-0-74115200-1465153973_thumb.jpegpost-12984-0-87666500-1465153984_thumb.jpeg

As you can see the Ertl model is not far off scale size.

But more importantly Henrietia here are some comparison photos, as I said to me it's seems a little over scale.

post-12984-0-61648400-1465154080_thumb.jpegpost-12984-0-45486900-1465154096_thumb.jpeg

The size of the coach to me suits the larger tram but looks a bit too big with the kit model

post-12984-0-70475200-1465154170_thumb.jpeg

It is a generic model but does the job for a six wheeler, this a before and after of the 'Emily coach'

post-12984-0-08462000-1465154228_thumb.jpeg

And finally, although quite not finished this is a ratio 4 wheel coach on a Hornby 6 wheel van chassis.

Hope these photos help.

• Like 5

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

As mentioned the Bachmann Toby is somewhat over scale (and the Hornby one is even bigger!) I can't remember who made the kit but it's not silver fox, and on the end is the Ertl model.

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

But more importantly Henrietia here are some comparison photos, as I said to me it's seems a little over scale.

The size of the coach to me suits the larger tram but looks a bit too big with the kit model

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

It is a generic model but does the job for a six wheeler, this a before and after of the 'Emily coach'

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

And finally, although quite not finished this is a ratio 4 wheel coach on a Hornby 6 wheel van chassis.

Hope these photos help.

Thanks for the comparison shots. What is the kit made of? Looks a bit like the K's whitemetal version which I have a working version of. I bought the kit when I was thirteen but didn't build it for twenty! It runs on a spud bogie with a DCC Concepts stay alive decoder, the weight is enough to calm the spud but is not ideal.

I have two Silver Fox kits and hope to put some decent power under them this summer, possibly using a Bullant bogie.

I see what you mean about the different carriages, think I will have a go at my Ratio kit see what I can come up with, your version definitely shows a way to go. I've found plans for a W&U tram car and a carraige used on the Kelvedon and Tollesbury line on the Great Eastern Society website so will download it and see what might be possible. The plans are very cheap to members and it is an excellent society.

Thanks for posting.

For copyright reasons I can't post the drawings here but I have downloaded the above drawings from the GE Society website and it cost just £1.40 to download to my printer, great value.  The Ratio 4 wheelers look like the best donors but may be a bit on the big size, will carry on exploring and let you know.

• Like 1

For copyright reasons I can't post the drawings here but I have downloaded the above drawings from the GE Society website and it cost just £1.40 to download to my printer, great value.  The Ratio 4 wheelers look like the best donors but may be a bit on the big size, will carry on exploring and let you know.

Clearly I must join!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hope these photos help.

That is very interesting.  The very slightly undernourished stature of the Ertl Toby would not matter if you, say, posited a freelance tramway.  Indeed, both my current freelance scenarios would allow me to getaway with that.

I am particularly impressed with your Emily coach conversion, by which I mean that I am both impressed with the potential of this product and with your skilful treatment.  I suspect few if any modellers would have guessed the provenance of your model had you not 'fessed up'.  

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ed, I think I still have the conversion photos so I can put a new topic together, rather than hijack Mullie's thread. I'll have to dig them out.

Thanks Ed, I think I still have the conversion photos so I can put a new topic together, rather than hijack Mullie's thread. I'll have to dig them out.

Thanks for hijacking, I think we have all learnt a lot. I think I will be bashing Ratio coaches very soon. The GE Soc drawings show what is possible, the Kelvedon and Tollesbury coach could definitely be butchered from a Ratio coach which could pass muster if I squint a lot, the W&U will be more of a challenge

The light railway halt is starting to come together. The fencing and sign are Wills, the station name has faded and no on has bothered to repaint it as trains have to stop there anyway. It is just about legible. The platform will be bedded in and then a covering of ash and cinders will be applied.

post-12773-0-99906600-1465418222_thumb.jpeg

post-12773-0-57206900-1465418240_thumb.jpeg

The gas lamp is from Kytes lights so will be working.

• Like 7

Whilst hacking the layout around, thought I would make the mpd more user friendly. There was a very short siding that could only hold one wagon so I decided to turn it into something more useable. The mpd is now a stabling point so most locos will layover take water, rake out ash but are less likely to need coal. Those smaller locos on branch services can be fuelled from wagons in true East Anglian fashion so there is now no coaling stage. The are is likely to be gas lit like the rest of the station though I will almost certainly put the small mess hut back. This is progress so far:

post-12773-0-00135800-1465656317_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-85466900-1465656360_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-57582400-1465656391_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-00075900-1465656422_thumb.jpg

The new  track is wired up but as yet untested.

• Like 5