Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

I always break things down into small achievable jobs so even when I have little time it feels like I'm making progress. Today, spent some time recolouring the ballast to better represent the type of layout Pott Row is becoming, though nothing worth photographing.

Tonight, found a little time to continue working on the next part of the station complex, a wooden building based on Mardocks. Had this mad idea to represent the planking using cut up coffee stirrers so it will take some time to build. This Is the front wall so far. This is only the beginning.

post-12773-0-22839600-1457821331_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Martyn, you always bring an original note to your modelling. I don't think I'd try that.

I've become more creative over the years out of necessity. Living where I do everything has to be ordered(much like yourself?) so I tend to use what I can get hold of locally to avoid additional wait and expense. I increasingly like the creative challenge of modelling an era and location slightly out of mainstream using sometimes unusual approaches. Doesn't always work but it keeps me entertained in what passes for my spare time.

Tonight I switched on Rickett Street and played trains after a long day at work, so long as I can run trains somewhere I'm happy.

Thanks for your continued interest.

• Like 1

Martyn, you certainly plough your own path. I wouldn't go to those lengths, I'd attempt to obtain the same affect by scribing with a nail file on card. How will you finish your timber?

And reference an earlier comment about when model shops are far distant, it is amazing what arts and crafts shops stock and that can be made use of.

Martyn, you certainly plough your own path. I wouldn't go to those lengths, I'd attempt to obtain the same affect by scribing with a nail file on card. How will you finish your timber?

And reference an earlier comment about when model shops are far distant, it is amazing what arts and crafts shops stock and that can be made use of.

I scavenge wherever I can as with a growing family there isn't a large budget for the railway either. I buy things wherever I can- toy shops, hardware shops and warehouse stores plus buying things online. I like the challenge to be honest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Realised recently that this layout hasn't been run regularly for almost a year for various reasons. Therefore, I have decided to bring it back into use in sections. The first section is the station and details of the new buildings feature in earlier posts. today the carriage stock got some attention in the form of improved corridor connections. 

post-12773-0-52160900-1459885810_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-26281900-1459885822_thumb.jpg

I've disabled the lighting though it has not ben removed. I don't want to add working lights to brake vans and locos so losing the carriage lighting seemed to make sense and a lot easier. Buildings will still be lit and I've improved the layout lighting by adding additional LEDs.  The layout was run for around 90 minutes today across two sessions and worked well so things may at last be looking up. 

Over the next few days I want to start working out the sugar beet workings on the line. Details to follow.

• Like 3

More progress on the station building based on Cressing, the main part of which is more or less complete:

post-12773-0-94672900-1460216084_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-16160400-1460216091_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-88866000-1460216176_thumb.jpg

Next job is to finish the original wooden bodied building based on Mardocks:

post-12773-0-11516900-1460216102_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-04136500-1460216110_thumb.jpg

Improved the lighting on the layout by adding more LEDs. This is the exit to the layout at the right hand end, rather than a tunnel/bridge it goes between buildings and I'm in two minds whether to keep it or not. I have been thinking about a bridge or deep cutting?

post-12773-0-98592400-1460216117_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Not much going on at the moment though I have managed to run the layout a few times recently. This photo sums up the new way of working. A Claud between two rows of wagons in the process of shunting. The loaded coal wagons brought in by the Claud are waiting to be taken down the branch and the empty sugar beet wagons will be taken back to the mainline.

post-12773-0-39660400-1462117564_thumb.jpg

Really must get on and finish the station building.

• Like 8

More progress on the station building based on Cressing, the main part of which is more or less complete:

attachicon.gifDSC_0028 edited.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0029 edited.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0022 edited.jpg

Next job is to finish the original wooden bodied building based on Mardocks:

attachicon.gifDSC_0024 edited.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0030 edited.jpg

Improved the lighting on the layout by adding more LEDs. This is the exit to the layout at the right hand end, rather than a tunnel/bridge it goes between buildings and I'm in two minds whether to keep it or not. I have been thinking about a bridge or deep cutting?

attachicon.gifDSC_0036 edited.jpg

Beautiful station building with very subtle effects.

I'm with Armin, those are lovely buildings and as 'wings' for an exit they provide an elegant Ricean solution. I don't know what your viewing height or angles are, however, as I suspect these devices work best when viewing angles and heights are restricted. If similar to the photograph, I would say they are working fine.

Hello Martyn,

just caught up on this layout from just before the removal of the formerly used scenic background.

The old layout was terrific already IMHO but you have really managed to enhance it significantly. I do like those sugar beet trains.

You were really lucky with that water damage.

And the new station building ensemble is just fantastic!

Best Regards,

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

The complex of buildings along the platform continues to come together. Lots of GE stations had huts like this on their platforms that were originally waiting shelters. Pott Row station is inspired by that at Widford on the Buntingford branch although things have been pulled from elsewhere. As the platform is not to scale length I felt I could butcher a suitable hut from the Wills ground level signal box and this is how it has come out. It should have a window both sides of the door but as the complex will eventually be seen from the rear I can live with the compromise.

post-12773-0-66722800-1463913751.jpg

Whilst working on the rear exchange siding I thought it might be good to put in a low level platform for a sporadic passenger service. This is a sleeper built platform constructed out of offcuts of card, coffee stirrers and matchsticks. The front face now needs to be painted and then it will be installed and bedded in.

post-12773-0-51794300-1463913746_thumb.jpg

Now need to work out where to find a suitable passenger coach for haulage as the D&S Wisbech and Upwell carriages are way beyond my skill and budget if I can get hold of any. I'm sure I can find something to massacre into shape!

• Like 4

If you are not actually modelling the W&U, you have some latitude.   The GER was responsible for more than one odd little line, and there were others using verandah-style or tramcar coaches.  The GER produced a tramcar, albeit not with verandas, for the Kelvedon & Tollesbury Branch.

On that basis, I would have a go at super-detailing a Bachmann Henrietta.  I have not checked the dimensions for accuracy against the W&U, but I do know that its overall size is fine for a 4mm scale light railway tramcar coach, and, if you are not trying to model a W&U coach specifically, it does not need to be an exact match.

When in funds, I intend to explore this option for the WNR.

• RMweb Premium

If you are not actually modelling the W&U, you have some latitude.   The GER was responsible for more than one odd little line, and there were others using verandah-style or tramcar coaches.  The GER produced a tramcar, albeit not with verandas, for the Kelvedon & Tollesbury Branch.

On that basis, I would have a go at super-detailing a Bachmann Henrietta.  I have not checked the dimensions for accuracy against the W&U, but I do know that its overall size is fine for a 4mm scale light railway tramcar coach, and, if you are not trying to model a W&U coach specifically, it does not need to be an exact match.

When in funds, I intend to explore this option for the WNR.

Hi Edwardian

The Tollesbury coach was the same one as used on the Upwell tramway.

Hi Edwardian

The Tollesbury coach was the same one as used on the Upwell tramway.

Hi Clive, I was referring to a Third Class Tramcar built, or converted, for the line in 1905.  According to R W Kidner's volume on Minor Railways' coaching stock, standard 6-wheel stock was vestibuled and fitted with smaller wheels.  From the drawing I have seen, it appears that the middle 3 compartment doors were sealed, and the coach became a 4-wheeler.  Though there were narrow doors and little platforms at the ends, pasesngers seemed to be intended to use the outer side doors, below which steps were fitted.   The effect is not unlike the GER 4-wheeled W&U coach, but without the characteristic end verandahs.

That said, photographs also show 6-wheelers which appear to have retained their original ride height and 3 axles, and I have seen what looks like a vestibule brake third, fitted with smaller wheels, but with 3 axles. 

All of this goes to show that there was some variation in GER vestibuled 'tramcar' stock!

I intend to run one each of the W&U 4-Wheeler, W&U bogie coach, W&U Brake Van and Tollesbury vestibuled Third, with GER G15s and C53s, so part of the West Norfolk Railway will need to be a tramway!  

As, goaded by RMWeb members, I am forced to look further into the fictional history of the WNR, I find the area is becoming quite crowded and I may need to de-conflict with Mullie!

Mullie, I note your scenario is:

Pott Row really exists, it is south East of Kings Lynn. I just liked the name! The scenario is that both GE and M&GN trains work into this outer platform of the larger station before heading off into rural Cambridgeshire or Norfolk. One day I might just work out a proper scenario but this suits me fine at the moment. For inspiration I've looked at places such as Cambridge, Ely, Bourne and Spalding. This topic, post 1

I have already projected a westward line that would, in the real world, have reached the villages of Pott Row and Grimston on its way to King's Lynn!  I am very taken with photographs of Grimston in the 1900s, and see potential for more cardboard houses in due course.  My places, as well as my railways, are fictitious, and I tend to adapt or combine real place names, so something along the lines of Pottston, Grimrow, Pottsgrim or, even, Grimpott  en route to Bishop's Lynn (can't have 'East Lynn', 'cos it's taken) might emerge!   I would be concerned, however, that I am trespassing on your territory! 

post-25673-0-36377700-1463994544.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

I plan to buy a Henrietta coach for butchering at some point and will be motorising the two Silver Fox J70s I have over the summer hopefully.

Pott Row has changed drastically over the year and is now an interchange point for a light railway, very much inspired by the Wissington line. However, I'm also inspired by the Yarmouth tramways, W&U and have books on most light railways and branchlines in East Anglia including the Corringham Light Railway a really interesting line built to serve explosive factories on the Essex marshes. As I am originally from Essex I've visited most sites although back in the 80s and 90s and know places like Thaxted, Tiptree, Tollesbury etc quite well.

Please conflict away, I have even considered changing the name because as well as its M&GN influence and various light railways a lot of the GE influence now comes from the line through Dereham, Wymondham and onto Wells next the Sea. I would love to build a model of Wells, the arrangement of engine shed in front of the goods shed has always fascinated me as well as the run round using gravity. In effect it was almost two stations in one. Geographically the layout has moved slightly towards this line.

My layout is fairly generic and I would describe myself as a 'broad brush' modeller, after all it is a hobby.

I love living in Dorset but can't tear myself away from East Anglian railways!

Edited by mullie
  • Like 2

Final building has been added to the station complex and I've begun adding Wills fencing.  Chaotic backdrop as I had to share the dining room table with our eldest daughter who is taking a break from her A level studies by doing an oil painting, this is a bit of a creative house!

post-12773-0-18321600-1464030144_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-01942700-1464030150_thumb.jpg

• Like 5