N-gauge dry stone walling

Does anyone know what the best way is to replicate dry stone walling in n-gauge, or whether there is a commercially available product (aside from those mentioned below) that will fit the bill?

I know Hornby do sets in the Lyddle End range, but these cant be flexed in any way, the sections are short and as I need at least 2 metres it would cost a fortune!!

Javis make a foam strip covered in ballast type material which is long and flexible and meant to represent a dry stone wall, but it is rather unrealistic.

Many thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Best wishes, Phil.

Many thanks Richard and Douglas - will have a go with some cork tomorrow - never seen that used before, but sounds like a sensible idea - certainly cheap and flexible!! Richard those laser cut walls look great - will send you a PM to ask a few more details.

Many thanks, Phil.

I stock a laser cut dry stone walling on my wall and fence page at the link below.

It comes in 4 packs, mixed, straight, curved and special.

Thanks for that, I am modelling the Mendips and I have been looking for some good dry-stone walling.

I have bought a small amount of walling from Ebay - a search for N gauge dry stone wall throws up options. Nice quality, although needs a bit of fettling to fit sections together, and the sections are quite short.

I have bought a small amount of walling from Ebay - a search for N gauge dry stone wall throws up options. Nice quality, although needs a bit of fettling to fit sections together, and the sections are quite short.

Just looked - is this the Javis short resin lengths? Thanks, Phil.

Just looked - is this the Javis short resin lengths? Thanks, Phil.

No. Unfortunately the seller I used hasn't had any on Ebay for a few weeks - I suspect they make it themselves. If I see any, will post details here!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

No. Unfortunately the seller I used hasn't had any on Ebay for a few weeks - I suspect they make it themselves. If I see any, will post details here!

Paul

I think this is a similar (possibly identical) product - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4cfe4ec78f

this one ( http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f139c48e1 ) doesn't seem to have the stepped ends, which may make it slightly easier to use.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item519d4978b5

This one looks reasonable value, if you can cope with having six idential section of broken down walling!

I think all of them are improved by some weathering and recolouring of some stones.

Edit - I meant to say I simply searched on 'N gauge wall'

Hi

If you're prepared to spend a little time practising you can make your own using lightweight filler on both sides of a piece of mounting board or plasticard and scribing the stonework. It's a lot quicker and easier than it sounds, and can be made to fit the contours you're working with. There are some details of this on my layout thread if you're interested

Ian

Archived