Refridgerated Traffic

Until the factory closed in 2007 i use to work for Birds eye in Hull. (bit of a give away inni!!t :no:)

It was often said by some of my older co workers that there was talk of running a siding or two into the factory in the 70's.

Now i have an idea for a basic inglenook type of Layout with one of the factory buildings as a backdrop, but what type of wagons to use is a bit of a puzzle.

i am aware that Frozen foods were not transported by rail (apart from the AF containers in the 60's), and i know all Birdseye stuff later went by road.

I could run plywood vans in with packaging etc and AF containers with green diesels, but the jump to the 70's what type of wagons would have been suitable? As far as i can see the Dapol Refridgerated van kit is my only route, though this dates from around 1962.

This is all pie in the sky stuff and might not happen, depending on answers of course!

Paul

Refrigerated ferry vans still around into the 80s, such as here, from my ferrywagon gallery:

gallery_6971_1799_42879.jpg

Don't know if they're available as ready to run, or modifiable from something.

Hope it's not a frozen pie in the sky - could do someone a nasty injury.

Refrigerated ferry vans still around into the 80s, such as here, from my ferrywagon gallery:

gallery_6971_1799_42879.jpg

Don't know if they're available as ready to run, or modifiable from something.

Hope it's not a frozen pie in the sky - could do someone a nasty injury.

This is probably in imported 'offal' traffic for Pedigree at Melton Mowbray- they ran into the 1990s on this. No model, alas..

Some of the ex-Insulfishes, along with 10t BR Standard Insulated vans, were used for frozen food traffic from somewhere aroung King's Lynn into the 1970s. They had 'Not to be loaded with fish' lettering on them, I believe.

This is probably in imported 'offal' traffic for Pedigree at Melton Mowbray- they ran into the 1990s on this.

Do you happen know any other traffics that the Interfrigo vans were used on? The one in the photo is Hoo Junction, so could be on its way from Dover to almost anywhere (or from Paddock Wood maybe), and they were fairly commonplace, common enough to be on more than one flow of traffic I'd have thought.

The Dapol kit van is a standard continental van used to the seventies at least. It comes with pre UIC DB transfers, which would have to be updated. Unfortunately it is not a ferry van and is to H0 scale, unlike the rest of the Dapol (Airfix) range.

There is however the blue spot fish van (as mentioned above) which is the old Hornby Dublo moulding (also available S/H as Wrenn, but watch out for stupid 'collector's prices).

I don't think ferry vans are available R-T-R (apart from the Hornby one, which isn't refrigerated) and again would be H0 scale.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/21038-interfrigoferry-vans/

Various Interfrigo vans here http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferryitalianinterfrigo As can be seen they could work individually to any yard where private unloading was permissible, such as Luton and Guildford.

The early Airfix/Dapol HO kit has been discussed before, in parts of

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/30425-airfix-kit-question/page__hl__%2Bdapol+%2Brefrig__fromsearch__1

I am no expert on continental manufactured models, perhaps there is an HO one - or use the Dapol one and make your model HO - from your original request it doesn't sound as if you want a lot of other models involved, so HO 3.5mm/ft would seem a possible solution.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Premium

Do you happen know any other traffics that the Interfrigo vans were used on? The one in the photo is Hoo Junction, so could be on its way from Dover to almost anywhere (or from Paddock Wood maybe), and they were fairly commonplace, common enough to be on more than one flow of traffic I'd have thought.

Interfrigo's were used for soft fruit, main fruit flows via the Train Ferry were peaches and grapes, these were destined to most of the main depots that handled Transfesa vans, Paddock Wood, Liverpool Speakland Road, Low Fell, Sheffield Parkway Market, though as stated could be sent to any depot that could handle vans. Once the fruit traffic has finished they became rarer, apart from the Melton petfood flow.

Occasional export flows were certain varieties of seed potatoes, trial consignments of fish, (usually not for human consumption).

HTH

Simon

Just had a thought that the Lima 'Grimsby Fish' van maybe a possibility. A quick google reveals it was once available in Interfrigo colours - but this might be hard to track down.

The Grimsby vans, though again to HO might work with a respray and weathering and they are cheap & common to buy!

Paul

Just had a thought that the Lima 'Grimsby Fish' van maybe a possibility. A quick google reveals it was once available in Interfrigo colours - but this might be hard to track down.

The Grimsby vans, though again to HO might work with a respray and weathering and they are cheap & common to buy!

Paul

It came in other liveries too (Carlsberg for one). The Dapol/Airfix kit is a better model though. The cheap Lima versions lack the ladders on the ends and usually have stumps instead of buffers*. There is a Rivarossi version (possibly to their 1:80 scale) which appears larger and could possibly pass as a ferry van.

*Lima couplings are either their version of the Continental loop affair (not compatible with other makes without modification) or a nasty tension lock which is also better.replaced.

There are several here. I wouldn't recommend the £14.99 Lima one though - collector's price and the wrong colour* for a start.

*Usually white, but I have seen silver-grey.

There was at one time a flow of polystyrene cups moved internationally in Interfrigo wagons. Of course, there was no need for refrigeration but the wagons were preferred because they were sealed and free from dust.

Archived