Bachmann Decoders

Mark G

I've recently been having issues with my Dynamis set up and 36-553 3 function decoders. A lot of the decoders have reverted back to their default value of 3 for some unknown reason, at least 10 locos over the past 6-9 months have done this, has anyone had such issues and know of a solution to prevent it happening again.

I also find that the hand held unit does not respond to the control centre, i have t keep switching it off (umplugging the power lead), sometimes this helps/sometimes not...again, has anyone else had this happen to them.

Mark

Some cheap decoder designs are rather prone to reset if they get a garbled DCC signal. This can be caused by small amounts of dirt interrupting the supply to the decoder, or through shorts causing a system to drop.

Solutions: 1 - keep track, wheels and pickups really clean. 2 - don't use cheap decoders.

I have only had this problem with one decoder installation, in a Bachmann class 150 with a Bachmann 21 pin decoder. It reset itself randomly, often between uses (or before / after a running session). I tried another Bachmann decoder and the same thing happened. Put a TCS decoder in and no problems. The same Bachmann decoders in other stock have also not exhibited any tendencies to reset or misbehave. It seems to be just the combination that had a problem!

Hi

If you wish to remain with the Bachmann decoders (I use them without problems) then consider doing one or both of these options.

1) Wire Bus Terminator filters across both ends of the DCC Bus wires. Assuming you're using a bus pair? Ready made terminators are sold by Bromsgrove Models or you can make your own from two simple components. See my web sites DCC page for details.

2) Add a 12 volt 10 watt (or possibly even a higher wattage) filament lamp in series with one feed wire from the base unit. This will illuminate when a short occurs and act as a current limiter (It is not an overload cut out).

I have found the both of these help overcome decoder resetting issues.

Archived