Lifecolor acrylics spray too matt, is it me?

Hi,

I have experimented today with spraying Lifecolor acrylics today for the first time. I have thinned the paint 50/50 with Lifecolor thinners and sprayed at low pressure. I get a thin covering, but it is very matt and i am concerned that it will be hard to apply transfer to such a matt finish. Has anybody got experience with these colours? Is it possible to get a gloss finish that will take transfers well?

I am wondering if I have thinned the paint too far, it gives a fine finish, almost opaque after 1 coat, so I gave my test piece a second coat. This is still in the process of drying, but is going very matt, just like the first coat. The base on my test piece is Halfords plastic primer.

Anybody got any tips on these paint, it would be appreciated, the lack of odour makes these attractive, I can spray in the kitchen without incurring the wrath of the domestic authorities!

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

I always finish with gloss varnish (now defunct johnsons Klear, see other threads for a replacement ) I then apply the transfers and then use matt varnish before weathering.

Cheers SS

Thanks, I will go the same way - anybody know what varnish is OK to apply on top of acrylics? I guess to be safe I should use an acrylic varnish.

Mark

PS - I've posted some pictures of the wagons on my workbench blog

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/277/entry-8523-out-with-the-airbrush-how-brave-do-i-feel/

Archived