W. Britain announces new U.K./European distributor – Bachmann Europe, Plc

Andy Y

First Gear owners of the famous W. Britain range of model soldiers, is pleased to announce the appointment of Bachmann Europe Plc as the distributor of all W. Britain products in the UK and Continental Europe.

Britains.jpg

The last few years have seen phenomenal growth for the storied toy soldier maker. “It is another golden age for W. Britain, and with a 119-year old history that is saying something!” – states Rich Knight, owner of parent company First Gear. With this success has come great opportunity to expand the brand into new markets, capitalizing first on the Royal Wedding in 2011 and now the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and London Olympics in 2012.

To properly cover and service the expansion into new markets in the United Kingdom and Europe, W. Britain needed a company that combined a world class sales and marketing group with the reach, expertise and understanding in the unique toy and collectible/hobby market. Bachmann Europe Plc is the perfect fit.

Graham Hubbard, MD of Bachmann Europe could not be more pleased - “Bachmann is absolutely thrilled with this opportunity, the esteemed W. Britain brand fits beautifully with our other classic British brands such as Graham Farish and dovetails nicely with our existing sales and marketing focus and philosophy.” Bachmann Europe is a well established manufacturer and distributor of train and related hobby products in the UK and Europe. They employ an in house sales force of five with marketing, customer service, engineering and warehouse personnel for a total of 70 people in the UK and Germany. Their considerable familiarity with the U.K. and European markets and commitment to excellent customer service will allow a much broader and deeper exposure for W. Britain.

Effective immediately, Bachmann Europe Plc will take over the distribution of all W. Britain products in the UK and Continental Europe. Bachmann looks forward to welcoming you to their stands at the NEC Spring Fair, Nuremburg Toy Fair and the Model and Hobby Show in Coventry, www.modelandhobbyshow.co.uk

Please note that W. Britain remains wholly owned and operated by First Gear, its parent company since 2005, this is not a change of ownership.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting development - perhaps a sign of 'market broadening' (albeit as a distributor in this case) by Bachmann? The other point about is that it involves them with a distinct, well known and respected, brand offering desirable collectable products in a market which still seems to be flourishing if what I see at auctions is any guide. Something which fits well with their model railway brand image in my view and potential access to retailers.

I wonder if any other British company in the 'toy & hobby' sector was in competition for this distributorship and the potential brand association and marketing opportunities it offers? ;)

The other point about is that it involves them with a distinct, well known and respected, brand offering desirable collectable products in a market which still seems to be flourishing if what I see at auctions is any guide.

Yes; it's a historic brand which has desirability and collectability. Hopefully it could also provide an opportunity for some blue boxes to appear in other outlets. I've always like the Britain's display in 'amleys.

• RMweb Premium

Yes; it's a historic brand which has desirability and collectability. Hopefully it could also provide an opportunity for some blue boxes to appear in other outlets. I've always like the Britain's display in 'amleys.

From someone who had never heard of the brand before, looking at the William Britain website I have to say they're pretty impressive models - but with prices match. One British WW2 infantryman I found costs £23.49 and we complain about £100+ locomotives...

The painting really looks excellent including the weathering, for want of a better word. Definately a product worth being associated with. If they produced smaller scale soldiers, I might have predicted a future Bachmann (railways) tie in with more wartime liveries and even train sets/packs. Hornby's tried it - did the "Codename: Strike Force" set sell, I wonder?

I was involved in historical research & pattern making for Britians for many years but fell foul of First Gears predecessors 'Racing Champions'. The problem 'W.Britains' had was that Racing Champions got rid of all their knowledgable sales rep teams and went with a 'blanket' toy sales crowd instead.

Then overpricing on the 'collectable mugs will pay anything' system saw them come unstuck with the Lords of the Rings franchise, which nearly brought them to their knees. They then sold that off to Del Prado (I think), retained the more profitable tractor & farm equipment and toys side and hived off the soldiers to First Gear.

It took First Gear some time to realise they had bought a 'pup', and though they have made great strides and actually listened to customers (a first for Britains!) they were struggling with their UK sales teams. Bachmann may be able to save them, I hope so.

IIRC Britians were made at Cheddleton in Staffordshire years ago. Where are they made now?

Made in London till the late 70s, then in Nottingham, then to China in 1992, No2 Factory Kowloon I think mostly. Though the new owners may have moved up to No1....................

IIRC Britians were made at Cheddleton in Staffordshire years ago. Where are they made now?

The Brittains at Cheddleton was a paper mill- my mother-in-law worked there. The figurines were made by Britains (only one T) at a factory in London, though much of their production had apparently been in the Far East since the 1960s. It would have been somewhat ironic if Brittains had made military figures, as it was the family firm of Vera Brittain, author of 'A Testament of Youth', a decidely un-militaristic tome.

Archived