Water

Hi all.I have a bit of a problem with my water colour(Doc said keep taking the tablets :no: )My dear grandson gave me a Woodland Scenics water kit for Christmas bless him but I do not like the colour of the base coat,it is way to dark for my liking, nearly black.I know that people suggest using a dark colour for deep water and lighter towards the edge but in my travels I have never seen water that dark,it is usually muddy brown or nearly blue with sky reflections so I was wondering if anyone has done water scenes on there layout what colours have you used for deep water for a sunny day scene?

Many things affect the way we see water. On my layout, I have a calm, winding, Yorkshire river viewed as from the hilltop. I have used very dark brown for about three-quarters of the width at the outside of the bends, fading to sandy-mud in the shallows (eg the inside areas of the bends). This looks right as the angle of view is wrong for seeing any colour from the sky. A little white has been used to highlight where stones break the surface. I also have the river mouth viewed as from middle distance where my son has painted the water in light blue, with white for highlights. This also looks right as the angle of view is lower. The river runs into the sea as depicted in light blue on the backscene. Fortunately, I have scenic breaks between the two areas so I do not have to create the transition. On the dark area, many coats of clear, gloss varnish have been used to encourage reflections from the surrounding scenery. I am very pleased with my results but I do not think there is any one answer.

If you can, try to find a photograph of an area similar to what you want to create and match your water colour to it but I think it is important to consider the angle of view.

Harold.

• 2 weeks later...

as said it really depends,

still water, depending on location, and depth all have a factor,

clay pits will brown

sand pits will be orangey/ brown in colour

gravel pits, young, will be blueish, mature, will tend to be clearer

canals, could be brown to black

the higher up the stream or river, genearlly the clearer they'll be

but rivers middle reaches any colour, but chalk streams genrally will be the only ones that are clear

only high up streams, will have "white water on them", and thats because they flow over boulders.

when modeling a large expanse of still water, weeds islands and lillies would also affect wind action on the water, creating channels of dappled waves on the water

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies.I am still not certain as to what colour to paint the base as I have seen so many diferent coloured lakes.As you say there are so many factors involved.but I will keep experimenting and hopefully soon I will find a base colour that I am happy with.

was also thinking that if, you had a winter layout,

water, in the main tends to be clearer.

that little green duck filled summer pond, could be gin clear, once all the algae has died back.

i would be inclined, to try and portray the depth of the pond or waterway, by scultping the bed, actually painting the bottom, browns and tanns, and washing with a very thin black, then filling it with your water material, i've done this with a very dilluted PVA, and it dried opaque, and quite cloudy, it looked so real, with lots of cut up paint brushes, for spring/autumn rushes

hop[e this helps

Archived