Signalling/Lever Frame Question . . .

Good Afternoon,

Whilst longingly looking at my latest design for a new 4mm layout, which is designed to fit snugly into 2400 x 500 mm culvert of a room, I have been contemplating about signals and if I could get away with installing one or two . . .

This idea incorporates 3 points in a 1200 x 500mm plan. The location/idea is fictiously based on a LNER (M&GN/GER) branch sidings/loop. The model is planned to be fiddle yard (left hand end) to scenic, however the section I am modelling is the last section of a single track running line which did go further, however the rest of the line has been closed. The visible section is the far end of a goods/small station loop, in which there are two sidings.

I plan to use servos and a MERG servo 4 board or two (subject to signal) to power the 3 points. I am however wondering, as I plan to build this to extend my skills and try various new modelling techniques if I could incorporate a couple of signals which I could make operational (This would then also allow me to have a play with and install point rodding, signal wires, pulleys, etc)

I have thought of a few ways that I could perhaps signal this section, however as signalling is not one of my strong points this could all be wrong. Anyway on with the ramblings!

The first was to use a ground frame situated on the viewing side of point No. 1 which is locked by the single line token. This would insure the sidings/loop could not be accessed un-authorised. I would then imagine this frame would contain:

• 1 Blue lever for the point lock
  • 1 Black lever for the crossover (or would the two points need one lever each?)
  • Potentially another black lever for the siding point (No.3) or would this of been operated by an unlocked point lever adjacent/attached to the side of the point?
  • A couple of red levers for a couple of ground signals - If so where would they be positioned.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions and/or help with the above.

The attached diagram below refers.

post-1986-0-76773300-1327943217.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I know very little about any specific M&GN practices (apart from their concrete signal posts) but normally point 3 would be worked by an adjacent hand lever and there would be no ground signals as the ground frame itself would be adjacent to the crossover you have numbered 1 & 2 (which would be worked by a single lever). Best I can come up with alas.

• RMweb Gold

So is there any likley hood/excuse I could use to incorporate a signal or two?

Perhaps a signal box located off scene?

Not on a really run-down 'final years piece of railway - as Beast says there's a good chance that a ground frame might also have gone although some Regions didn't bother with the cost of doing such work and would have left it.

What might suit as a get-out clause is that you still have a signalbox off-scene towards the fiddle yard for some reason and it works the running line crossover via rodding and there would then be a couple of ground discs - one adjacent to point toe No.1 and the other adjacent to point toe No.2 (which could even be a 'yellow arm' disc. Bit of a stretch but it has a degree of authenticity with teh right background story about recent line closure and all that sort of thing.

Archived