Somerfeldt ohle, Woodhead style catenery.

Hi,

I have wanted to make a model (OO gauge) based on the 1500V DC Woodhead route for ages but the lack of locomotives and ohle etc has always prevented me from making a start. Since the Olivias class 76s are now out and I have already bought a small fleet of these I have decided that now is the time to have a proper go at it!

I have already had a quick look around and found that Somerfeldt make a DC style overhead system, it doesnt look exactly like that found on the woodhead route but isnt a million miles off either. DC kits list them, and some insulator packs and other handy spares etc on their website.

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/dc_kits/overhead_catenery/4mm_overhead_line_equipment_sommerfeldt_/sf570_twin_track_woodhead_great_eastern_mast.php

The above link/address shows an example of what im looking at.

It would need some modifications, and is HO scale but looks to me at least about as close as im likely to get without scratch building, as my soldering skills arent great! Although this may end up forcing me to learn!!

My questions are:

1. Is this a close enough match to woodhead style overheads to suit my needs, with a liitle bit of modification where needed.

2. How good is Somerfeldt catenery, I have never used it before and would like to know if it is easy to put together, install on a layout, what is it made of (metal, plastic?) etc.

Obviously I will need to use the wires from the same manufacturer aswell. And im not trying to go for fully functioning overheads, just something that looks about right!

I dont think I am likely to get any suitable lattice type supports, but I may be able to use parts and scratchbuilding to get what I need. But hopefully I shouldnt need many of these anyway.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Archived