New command station from Roco

From my facebook feed came a preview of a new Roco/Fleischmann command station, the Z21. It's clearly aimed at the iphone generation, with apps for tablets and smartphones using iOS and Android, with the tablet app featuring a cab view display. The command station will update Zimo sound decoders. Unlike previous Roco command stations it features a separate programming track, and in addition to X-Bus has CAN-Bus, LAN and LocoNet. Unfortunately it appears to lack a receiver for the MultiMaus Pro, and the connection with smartphones/tablets is via your own WLAN router rather than having this functionality built in. It appears to support 24 functions, so lots of potential there. It is priced at 399 Euros, and set for release in July.

www.z21.eu

Now that looks like the way forward. Having the 3 companies protocols available in one box is interesting too. I wonder if its working as a sniffer in a similar way to the ECoS or if it has fully interactive support of them all?

Makes sense to me leaving out the wireless router and allowing purchasers to use an off the shelf device.

Isn't XpressNet the newer Lenz standard than X-Bus?

It is, but Roco is well over a decade too late: Uhlenbrock did that with their IntelliBox back in 2000: DCC, Motorola I & II, Selectrix and on their TwinCentre models replaced Motorola with FMZ (a later modification for Fleischmann). The IB could be connected to LocoNet, I2C net for Märklin switch boards, the S88 bus for same feedback encoders, the 1st generation Roco 'Digital is Cool' throttles and Lenz boosters. The once promised bi-directional converter LocoNet <-> X-Bus/Xpressnet (they are essentially the same, just marketing...) has been developed but not taken in production due to it giving competitive advantages to their main rival ESU.

Indeed, but this is merely a command station, rather than an all-in-one box. The Intellibox is a very capable product, and even now I find myself tempted by them, the Fleischmann branded ones can be had for good prices on ebay in start sets. The sound update and the associated apps are not a first either. From my perspective, it brings me a little more choice, although the lack of receiver for MultiMaus Pro (Assumed by me, it isn't mentioned in the blurb at all) puts it at odds with the path Roco had been following up until this. Although I'm a smartphone user I prefer a tactile interface to a touchscreen for my train control, and the MM Pro has been tempting me- I now find myself worried future products won't support it.

More information is now coming out about this new Roco / Fleischmann command station and the control apps.

Here is a video of a presentation being given at the Nuremberg Toy fair (currently) .... Z21 control screens (it's 8 minutes long in German - faint sound commentary but the pictures give an idea)

...and a glimpse in this

(in the first 6 minutes or so)

It looks like in addition to a stock of preloaded and downloadable loco images, you can add your own loco image by taking a photo on the same iPhone/iPad you are running the app on (it looks like "add loco image" is via the app itself), and simply importing it into the loco library - instantly !

Here's a photo of the iPad control panel.

2.jpg?format=format23

A bit more press blurb (now revised to correct link)...

More photos

Ron

There is a bit of confusion here between the proposed Roco Z21 and the existing Märklin applications. The photo you have included is of the Märklin Central Station iPad app, which works with their 60214/5/6 Central Station. This has the ability for you to make your own loco images and upload them. Märklin launched their Central station a couple of years ago, the iPod app early in 2011 and the iPad app in late summer 2011.

The Roco Fleischmann system appears to be in early prototype, but is aiming to take things further by offering cab control, you touch the controls on an image of the loco cab. I am already thinking that this could be combined with an onboard video camera.....

It is also unclear if the Z21 will include the Märklin Motorola M4 protocol (MFX) which would make this system of more interest for users of the Märklin 3 Rail system, such as myself.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Ashley

• 4 weeks later...

Ron

There is a bit of confusion here between the proposed Roco Z21 and the existing Märklin applications. The photo you have included is of the Märklin Central Station iPad app....

Hi Ashley. Indeed that photo does show a Marklin app iPad screen and not the Roco one.

It was included in a German website report on the Z21 and (if I can remember that far back) I think that's where I got it from. My fault, as I don't read German.

The non-cab view Roco control screen for Tablets, appears to be just a large version of the smartphone app control screen, judging from this

(in German, but the video gives a good flavour of how the Tablet app version operates).

It is also unclear if the Z21 will include the Märklin Motorola M4 protocol (MFX) which would make this system of more interest for users of the Märklin 3 Rail system, such as myself.

The information given, suggests it will include MM, but doesn't state if that includes M4 mfx.

Roco Z21 flyer - English version.

p.s. The Z21 is already being advertised for sale at €359 (£299)

Archived