RMweb

Modelmasters Identity Packs

Hello, I've unsuccessfully searched the forums for views/thoughts on the Modelmasters identity packs. I'm hoping to model a number of scottish A3/A4's but those I currently have or in the process of buying will have to be renumbered/renamed. To save the hassle of removing the current numbers on the loco's I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on how good are the blanking patches that come with these packs. My particular concern is whether they adequately blend in with the BR green on the Hornby models.

Would be grateful for anyone's Views and thoughts before I proceed further.

Many Thanks

Philip

Hi Philip

I have used the ModelMaster number patches on quite a few occasions, there is a very slight difference in colour and when applied in certain lighting conditions you can see the square patch.

If you then varnish them with a satin or gloss finish and apply some light weathering around the patch edges it hides most of the difference.

This method is much easier and more cost effective than applying a whole set of replacement cab side numbers on both sides of your loco.

I enclose a photo of A3 60097 Humorist which I converted from a Hornby A3 60049 Galtee More using ModelMaster nameplates, and cab side patch number plates.

If you enlarge the photo you can make out the number patch but this has not had any weathering applied to it just some Johnson's Klear polish to seal the transfers.

I think this looks quite acceptable.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-96897700-1328990868_thumb.jpg

I had some "old" triang jinties which I re-wheeled and resprayed after filling some dints and dents,

I bought the modelmasters jinty renumbering set and LMR shed codes.

Researched a bit, chose shed codes to match the numbers provided near my modelled location and I am very pleased with the results.

The waterslide packs are fairly easy to apply ( measured carefully first) included 3F above number.

No, I am not a seasoned campaigner but would recommend these as I now have some individual jinties.

Yes I know there are newer improved, all singing all dacing models but I had these when I was 10 !

Thank you very much for your replies and in particular David for the photograph. I will certainly have a go with this product once finished my research and

decided which loco's to model. "Humorist" looks particularly interesting because of the smoke deflectors but modelling that one will depend on me being able to obtain them.

Regards

Philip

Archived