Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Well, surprise surprise, another duff one has turned up here in Brisbane. Been reading this thread over the past month, thinking I might be lucky with mine, but, alas, no.

Checked pickups, all look clean, placed on DCC track and full lights working, both directions and no movement, assisted or otherwise. These symptoms are more than just pickup related, so back to Hattons it goes.

Having ordered a new Dapol western at the same time, also faulty, (in that all lighting is wired in reverse to loco movement) I am also joining those lamenting the notable drop in quality control in recent times across most brands, but particularly Bachmann, who used to churn out solid dependable product. This class 40 debacle is a sign of the times. Dapol have always been a bit patchy with their westerns, so only mildly surprised there. But ultimately, annoyed given that prices are rising and quality falling. I have in excess of 300 locos collected over 30 years so feel qualified to make this judgement, sadly. Our 'purple patch' for quality feels to have been circa 1990s to 2010.

John

I did hear today that Bachmann are checking the other 40 that has arrived, (remember that's 2000 Loco's )

I was told they are able to check 10 Loco's an hour, they have been doing it for just over a week so that means according to my maths we still have a wait of at least a couple of weeks for the sound version.

The DC version we shall just have to wait and see when that appears.

I popped round to my pals this afternoon, to see the performance of one of these errant class 40's

Good grief.!!!!!!!

I know we shouldn't have to do it, but it really only takes a few minutes to:

Remove the 8 body securing screws

Remove the bogies, 1 screw either side

Unclip the bogie side frames

Clean the wheel to bush/contact areas by removing the wheels

Put back together

(Add extra swipe contacts for 12 wheel pick up for even better running if wanted)

T-T

The issues on some of these run deeper than just the pickups or tight bogies. Mine had clear power to all of the lights but some sort of pcb connective problem. Awaiting a replacement.

Mine had same issue so it went back to Bachmann. I was told it could take up to 4 weeks to fix - guees checking every one of the other Class 40 versions is clogging up the service department!

Right. So it is equipped with eight pick-ups that don't all necessarily touch the wheels. Should be an easy fix for a railway modeller (even though it shouldn't be necessary).

On the the model as supplied, there are NO actual pickups that touch any wheels, the revised pick-up system used, passes current from the live axles to the wheels via the brass bearing bushes/bogie mounted pick up bar etc, lots of non- conductive grease everywhere not helping !

Edited by tractor_37260

Right. So it is equipped with eight pick-ups that don't all necessarily touch the wheels. Should be an easy fix for a railway modeller (even though it shouldn't be necessary).

As we have seen from Tractors reply, the pick ups dont actually touch the wheels..............I am not familiar with this pick up method....so should we now assume its not quite the easy fix.

From a brief look at my pals model yesterday( see my posted video #555 ) there appeared no easy fix at that moment.  He is a pretty good railway modeller....but is NOT about to tackle this one.

It goes back to his model shop next week for attention.  Interestingly, his email reply from Bachmann did suggest a return to the dealer for attention,  should be perhaps his first port of call, and they would address the issue.    I wonder if retailers are recompensed for any re work required.??

As we have seen from Tractors reply, the pick ups dont actually touch the wheels..............I am not familiar with this pick up method....so should we now assume its not quite the easy fix.

From a brief look at my pals model yesterday( see my posted video #555 ) there appeared no easy fix at that moment.  He is a pretty good railway modeller....but is NOT about to tackle this one.

It goes back to his model shop next week for attention.  Interestingly, his email reply from Bachmann did suggest a return to the dealer for attention,  should be perhaps his first port of call, and they would address the issue.    I wonder if retailers are recompensed for any re work required.??

Bob

See my previous posts in this thread : 380 / 389 / 409 all the info required to sort it out (permanently)

HTH

Ken

Edited by tractor_37260

Bob

See my previous posts in this thread : 380 / 389 / 409 all the info required to sort it out (permanently)

HTH

Ken

Hi Ken,

I read them the other day......good work too........its just the word, "easy",   For some it may be, but I would suggest most railway modellers wont attempt things like that.  Of course there are lots who have the skills, and we all respect their work, I might even be tempted to have a go.......but I know personally lots that will not.

But thanks for posting your efforts...they are really good........gotta go, I'm off to the Stafford show now...!!!

Bob.

Just noticed Hattons' have 40 141 back up on their web-site - not presently in stock - but avail for pre order !  @ £88.  According to a Rails newsletter there may ? be a price rise from Bachmann imminent ! so they are advising to pre-order now - but that could just be a marketing/sales ploy perhaps !

Now in stock (for those who may not already be aware).

I have stripped my class 40 down to fit extra pick ups and to see about removing the tank. The good news is it's a separate moulding. Unclip the chassis from the the cast metal and you will see two screws, undo them and the tank comes loose. The problem is what to do with the cab and tail light switches.

Here is a fairly blurry pic, hope this is of some use. I just need to work out what wires to connect so the tail lights stay on and cab lights stay off.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-39325500-1391316134_thumb.jpg

Another black mark against the Bachmann 40 from me...disconnected cardan shaft at one end, very slow, screeching noise coming from the motor, poor lubrication, lights flickering and stalls over every dead frog. Going back to the shop tomorrow, only I doubt they'll have any to replace it with. Such as shame as it looks stunning. I really hope Bachmann modify the design before they release any more... (Olivia's Trains 40145 L.E for a start)

Bob

HTH

Ken

40 135/126 has been reinstated after bogie work at Wiganish, took about an hour, used the method you suggested. I cut the wipers off under the bogie swivel to push the wires through Will put some pics up when I do the second if anyone wants to see. Has just taken 65 seconds to move 7 feet including double reverse points, pretty good I think.

Edited by GRUNFOS
  • Like 1

40 135/126 has been reinstated after bogie work at Wiganish, took about an hour, used the method you suggested. I cut the wipers off under the bogie swivel to push the wires through Will put some pics up when I do the second if anyone wants to see. Has just taken 65 seconds to move 7 feet including double reverse points, pretty good I think.

I think some pics would be appreciated by a few I know who are suffering similar problems.

Bob