RMweb

Resisters on signals

Mike-Greg

Hi all

bought some signals formy layout

they are kits to assemble and thats not a problem

they are supplied with a resistor but it does not indicate if they need to go in any particuler way

i seem to have it in my head that the coulour code bands denote the sence they are installed

but what it is i dont know

so does it matter or not thats the question ??

Rgds

Mike

• RMweb Premium

By convention, the leading band goes closest to the positive side of the circuit and the tolerance band nearest the negative. This is so the bands generally are the same way round, making reading them easier.

Think of it as like a book spine, usually the lettering is the same way round. In both cases it doesn't really matter, its just easier if they all face the same way.

Kevin Martin

Think of it as like a book spine, usually the lettering is the same way round. In both cases it doesn't really matter, its just easier if they all face the same way.

By convention resistors are normally inserted the same way round on a PCB purely to speed up the post-build inspection process - nothing to do with which end is most positive. If a silk screen legend is present on the component side, the writing direction would also coincide with the convention.

I am not aware of any conventions for resistors spliced directly into wires, but it would make sense to keep them consistent where possible.

Archived