1970s parcels traffic to Southend East

Hi all,

I'm new to RMWeb and this is my first post.

I'm interested in finding out more info about the parcels trains that went to Southend East each weekday during the 1970s. The service was hauled either by Class 31 or 37s. The rolling stock was a mixture of GUV, CCT and full brake.

Here are 2 links to photos by David Ford. The first showing the service on its return journey, passing Leigh on Sea. The second is at Southen East.

http://davidford663.fotopic.net/p56338996.html

http://davidford663.fotopic.net/p56419795.html

What I'd like to find out is where the service originated. I always assumed it was someplace in London.

The service arrived at Southend East around 16:00 each day and went into a dedicated platform on the south side of the station.

Also, as I'm trying to model a parcels service, I'd like to ask (stupid question, maybe) if the BRUTEs were wheeled onto the rolling stock and went with the train, Or were they used only on the platform and their contents unloaded into heaps in the rolling stock.

Any help, advice much appreciated.

Andy

Hi all,

I'm interested in finding out more info about the parcels trains that went to Southend East each weekday during the 1970s. The service was hauled either by Class 31 or 37s. The rolling stock was a mixture of GUV, CCT and full brake.

Here are 2 links to photos by David Ford. The first showing the service on its return journey, passing Leigh on Sea. The second is at Southen East.

What I'd like to find out is where the service originated. I always assumed it was someplace in London.

The service arrived at Southend East around 16:00 each day and went into a dedicated platform on the south side of the station.

Also, as I'm trying to model a parcels service, I'd like to ask (stupid question, maybe) if the BRUTEs were wheeled onto the rolling stock and went with the train, Or were they used only on the platform and their contents unloaded into heaps in the rolling stock.

Andy

BRUTEs were intended to be loaded on to the vans, though when they were introduced there were a lot of older vehicles that couldn't accept them, and so the contents were usually transhipped- the result was that most major stations had BRUTES standing around on platforms. Certainly, this was the case when I had a Christmas job at the Sorting Office next to Temple Meads in 1974. They provided many a 70s enthusiast with somewhere to sit, though the inevitable puddles meant wet behinds.

The trains from Southend, largely carrying credit card traffic, would have gone to Liverpool St, where the traffic would have been transferred to Mount Pleasant Sorting Office for further sorting.

BRUTEs were intended to be loaded on to the vans, though when they were introduced there were a lot of older vehicles that couldn't accept them, and so the contents were usually transhipped- the result was that most major stations had BRUTES standing around on platforms. Certainly, this was the case when I had a Christmas job at the Sorting Office next to Temple Meads in 1974. They provided many a 70s enthusiast with somewhere to sit, though the inevitable puddles meant wet behinds.

The trains from Southend, largely carrying credit card traffic, would have gone to Liverpool St, where the traffic would have been transferred to Mount Pleasant Sorting Office for further sorting.

Brian,

Thanks for the info. I'm obviously aware that Southen was the (then) home of the credit card company "Access". I even worked in their offices for a couple of summers. But could you ellaborate on what you mean by "credit card traffic"? Was this basically mail going to Access?

Andy

Brian,

Thanks for the info. I'm obviously aware that Southen was the (then) home of the credit card company "Access". I even worked in their offices for a couple of summers. But could you ellaborate on what you mean by "credit card traffic"? Was this basically mail going to Access?

Andy

All the mail to and from Access- be it statements, inbound cheques, merchant's vouchers. There were various locations around the country which depended on parcels or mail traffic from one or two major companies, and which thus seemed to have a lot of traffic for a relatively small station. Examples that come to mind are:-

Banbury- Kaleidoscope (W H Smith mail order)

Worcester- Great Universal Store/Kays

Sunderland and Bolton were other locations that generated lots of van traffic because of mail or parcels business.

All the mail to and from Access- be it statements, inbound cheques, merchant's vouchers. There were various locations around the country which depended on parcels or mail traffic from one or two major companies, and which thus seemed to have a lot of traffic for a relatively small station. Examples that come to mind are:-

Sunderland and Bolton were other locations that generated lots of van traffic because of mail or parcels business.

No wonder they gave me an automatic letter opener and a franking machine when I worked in the post room!rolleyes.gif

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Andy

Isn't it strange how what was once all glistening and new is now ancient history :O

BRUTES were designed for loading to trains as a means of reducing handling and improving productivity. Normal loading method at smaller station was to use a bridging board and a fair bit of human grunt to shove them up into the van; some larger stations used forklift trucks and there was also a device called a POLT (Power Operated Lifting Turntable!!) although it was much slower then forklifting. Official method of unloading was the same kit; actual method of unloading when no one in authority was looking and time was pressing was to just shove the thing out of the van door hoping it would neither capsize nor suffer too much damage in the process (it was one reason why some stations tended to develop collections of crippled BRUTEs).

The original handbrakes were not very effective and difficult to adjust hence a number of unplanned train/BRUTE 'interfaces' and latterly a a hydraulic handbrake was developed which generally seemed more reliable.

BRUTEs were an excellent idea overall although they didn't really help to stem the rundown and loss of parcels traffic.

Would they have used the upminster - Romford link to get across to the Liverpool St line?

Or Barking and the flyover across to the GE main line just E of Stratford? I had the idea that the Upminster end of Upminster-Romford was a dead end, cut off by the underground so to speak. Anyone confirm that?

Andy, came across this reference in a 1969 Railway Observer whilst looking for something else.

Quote;

"From 6th Jan two diesel hauled parcels trains started running between Southend (East) parcels depot and Liverpool Street, to give a better service to the north. These have replaced the two workings which previously ran into Southend (Victoria) and are hauled by Class 20 locomotives."

Of course over the years the motive power would have changed and Class 31/37 and 47 may well have appeared as well. I also remember seeing a photo somewhere of some maroon GUV's branded Express Parcels with the double arrow logo on at Liverpool Street in the early 70's so they may well have been on one of those services. As already mentioned these services would have been routed via Barking and Forest Gate Junction to get to Liverpool Street>

Hope this info is of use.

Paul J.>

• 1 month later...

Hi - I live by the LT&S line and clearly remember the Parcels traffic to Southend East. It was normally hauled by a Stratford " toffee apple " class 31. Cant say I ever remember any other classes hauling it .. 37s and 47s were regulars however to the MOD at Shoeburyness. Never seen any 20s on this line, but of course I am not saying they never did. !

In the 1979/1980 timetable, the services were 4-06 1352 Liverpool Street - Southend East (1544) and 4-03 2010 Southend East - Liverpool Street (2126). The services were diagrammed to a Stratford class 31 and normally a 'toffee apple' was used.

HTH

Andy

Yup, during the 60s and 70s traffic due to mail order companies generated a fair bit of business for BR; other examples are Peterborough and Bradford Forster Square (the Grattan catalogue empire in the latter case).

David

Hi - I live by the LT&S line and clearly remember the Parcels traffic to Southend East. It was normally hauled by a Stratford " toffee apple " class 31. Cant say I ever remember any other classes hauling it .. 37s and 47s were regulars however to the MOD at Shoeburyness. Never seen any 20s on this line, but of course I am not saying they never did. !

They most certainly did work on the LT&SR metals, albeit usually up in the smoke at the various goods depots. I have the Fenchurch Street - Barking and Barking - Southend "Eastern Main Lines" books by Middleton Press and in the former book, a couple of images show Class 20's..

> UID Type 1 at Haydon Square depot on 2nd July 1962

> D8009 passing Cable Street coal depot on 16th May 1959

> D8014 (allocated to Devons Road shed at the time) crossing from the LT&SR onto the Gas Factory Jnc. - Bow spur with a freight for the NLL on 15th June 1959

Archived