Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Help with Locomotive Selection for Springerle Cookie Presses

tcvhn

I need help designing some railroad-inspired Springerle cookie presses for inclusion in a future catalog for sale. Since I focus on modern US and Swedish topics, so am fairly unfamiliar with British and other history. What I know of British rail is limited and I don't think it is necessary to do "another Flying Scotsman" or Stephenson's Rocket.

As background, Springerle cookie making dates back over 400 years -- the press designs are very detailed and the cookies are like minature sculptures -- even if they are very easy to make with cookie press. To my knowledge, there is only one cookie press that has ever been done for a cookies, and that dates back well over 150 years and is featured on Ken Hamilton's site -- here is an image of it (the cookies it makes feature this design reversed/raised on the surface):

FranzGrafTrainPress.jpg

Any ideas? Suggestions?? What would be most interesting for railroad fans? I've had some ask if we could make an eight cookie board that makes a steam engine, followed by six vans and a brake van or caboose. Please help -- and please post photos of good subjects if you have them!

Thomas.

i'm afraid I can't post pics at the moment, but well known locos would go down well, these could include

A4, of which the Mallard is the fastest steam loco in the world

LMS Black 5,

GWR Hall,

Evening Star, the last steam loco built in the UK until Tornado was built a few years ago

These are good suggestions -- any suggestions for historic topics, like original steam engines from the 1800s? I think that what is evolving is the need to do two or three boards as a series, modern, high steam (if there is such a term) and historic. Thoughts?

There are photos of the classic 8 foot Stirling Singles of the 4-2-2 arrangement on this website http://www.clanstirling.org/Main/lib/photos/StirlingSingleTrain-Design.html but the loco part is quite long and probably not suitable for the proportions of the cookie. Perhaps the slightly smaller Stirling 2-2-2 design might be better. Even more suitable would be a very small tender loco, something like Coppernob from the Furness Railway, although not that typical of British railways of the Edwardian era.

There are photos of the classic 8 foot Stirling Singles of the 4-2-2 arrangement on this website http://www.clanstirl...ain-Design.html but the loco part is quite long and probably not suitable for the proportions of the cookie. Perhaps the slightly smaller Stirling 2-2-2 design might be better. Even more suitable would be a very small tender loco, something like Coppernob from the Furness Railway, although not that typical of British railways of the Edwardian era.

That is one of my favorite engines, even if I didn't know the name of it (like I said, I'm really a fan of US and Swedish rail) -- the large wheel is perfect. I'll have to look to see if the 2-2-2 has the large wheel as well. That is simply a classic feature that deserves treatment and a head-on view loses the aspect of the most important design feature of the engine.

That's decided then -- we have a Stirling, even if I'm not yet sure how to get it carved onto a cookie. What sort of trailing vans would have been pulled by the Stirling?

Also, what other subjects would be good? Is the HST really a choice that most would like?

Thomas.

Archived