Box file Layouts

Earl Bathurst

I have 3 spare box files and being that the shed is to cold to work on my main layout i am looking for something small to work on in the house. The idea came when I seen a few pictures of a layout set in a box file.

What is the best way to start building using the box files?

The other things which i need to think of is the track plan or what to include in a small space. Does anyone have any ideas for track plans?

Is it best to attach the box files to a bit of hard board for support?

Any help would be helpful with my new project?

Thanks

:)

Hi Earl B,

I'm building similar right now - the track layout I've chosen is a modification of an inglenook. Carl Ardent's site is a fantastic source for inspiration for lots of creative trackplans: http://carendt.com/. Other than that, I'd say to beware - all trackwork and rolling stock is probably bigger than you think it is!

I've joined my boxfiles together by screwing them down to strips of wood underneath. Not very elegant, but leaves me a space for the wiring to go. I understand that some of the more experienced boxfile layout builders often raise the floor of their boxfiles by a few mm, for the wiring to go in there; they may also use that void to conceal however they join the boxes together.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Archived