Ultramarine Works

MarcD

I have built their engine shed and coaling stage - see my layout thread. they go together very well (I used the thick Rocket cyano). I have a few problems with the water tower base but I think it will be fine when I have filed the corners back to make it fit together.

They look good. Just about to order 1/2 of their brick goods shed and one of their wood PWay huts. The latter will need some slight modification to hide a H&M point motor. And the former will make a good covered portal for the factory hiding a very small 7inch fiddle yard if all goes to plan.

• 2 months later...

Just finish the rewire and the additing of the third baseboard. With one week to its first outing there are still some outstanding jobs: back sceen; ballast; yard crane; barrals and people

• 2 weeks later...

We have just put the layout away after its first outing at the Barrow. Managaed to set fire to one of the H&M point motors, discovered that track cleaning rubbers don't clean as well as chemicals and sometimes you need to PVA the ballast twice or it falls off.

post-13539-0-22219900-1350304994_thumb.jpg

post-13539-0-11837800-1350305024_thumb.jpg

post-13539-0-18196700-1350305049_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

What's the cabless blue saddle tank loco? Looks interesting!

Its a Springside kit. I think is a Manning Wardell prototype. Its got a screw together chassis an a white-metal top so the only soldering is the pick up, motor and the DCC chip (not supplyed). It runs really well, it need some of the bolts holding the con-rods together trimming.

Just got the DCC to work. I have chiped 2 locos NER K and the MW. Just finished a Roxey mouldings Crane tank and I'm most of the way through one of Jim McGowen's NER H2 0-6-0T. so when we go to workington in two weeks time we should have a few spare locos.

• 11 months later...

its been a while since we posted anything about our layout. We are back at Workington Show in a few weeks and Ultramarine will be making another outing in April at Maryport show. We should have a three NER dock tanks and other locos.

• 6 months later...

We have now decided to sell Ultramarine Works. If you are interested £500 ono. Stock can be supplied if you want. All buildings are included. We are starting to build a new exhibition layout so we need the space. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

With the Bristol O gauge show coming up I'm just giving the layout an upgrade. I managed to fry the DCC controller at the start of the Maryport Show last year however those nice people at LENZ have managed to put the smoke back into the box and its working again.

We have altered the low-relief buildings so they now are not so low-relief, I have got busy with the air brush and started weathering the factory end of the layout. on the other end I have got busy with the static grass applicator.

Photos to follow. 

• 2 months later...

We will be taking Ultramarine Works to the Keighley 7mm Festival in November for what might be its last outing. I have just taken delivery of a new set of baseboards for the next layout that will be making its first outing at this year's Workington Model Railway Show. Hopefully it will be a small colliery that will be initially NER and S&DJR as these are the two companies that I have the most stock for. 

• 7 months later...

Sunday was the last time Ultramarine Works attended a show we me at the helm. Running of the layout has now past to Damian in Crosshills. I hope he has as much fun running it as I have had of the last 6 years.

Marc

Archived