Ultramarine Works

MarcD

A few years ago I thought it would be good idea to use the 6ftx2ft space allocated to me at GOG shows, for our our stand and turn it into a micro layout. I got so far down the track of building the layout and as I didn't have time to finish it I did't. I've now been invited to two exhibitions later this year I now need to finsh it.

I have got most of the track down and the factory board is under construction and most of the stock's finished.

The track work is peco and has been ballested with 00 ash. post-13539-0-49431900-1328995542_thumb.jpg

post-13539-0-65324400-1328995188_thumb.jpgpost-13539-0-01965800-1328995278_thumb.jpgpost-13539-0-45603100-1328995410_thumb.jpg

I have added some photos of progress so far. I've never done scenery before so any tips on the how to add realistic scenery would be most helpful.

• RMweb Gold

The only real way to learn is to have a go what sort of thing are you looking for. Built up with walls and buldings or grass banks hedges etc. Try to get want you want in your mind first.

Don

I am not an expert on scenery so I cannot help you there but I have to say that this could turn out to be a very nice little layout so I am looking forward to seeing more.

Looking at your name, can I assume that the wagons in the photo are from the Furness Railway Wagon Company range? I don't recall having seen any reference to these wagons on this forum so if they are, could you tell us something about them.

Willy

Guest Jim Read

Hello FW,

This may be of help I'm not sure, I was going to make a 4mm micro layout and got as far as point and track making and making some building using the Scalescenes freebies, I did buy some more kits but never made them up.

I decided to give my current layout away, after the Ilkeston show and scrap the 4mm idea and use the board for an 0 Gauge micro.

Making the scalescenes buildings was not a waste of time I have used what I found out to make this, it's 16" long about 6" high and will hide the fiddle yard, of course it's no where near as good as anything from Scalescenes but much better than my previous efforts.

28ixjix.jpg

The brick paper is the scaled down freebie from New Railway Modellers. The windows were made in MSPublisher using the tables facility and then printed onto OHP sheet, the interior scenes from old factory photographs and the lintels from a house round the corner and the card the 2mm grey from Alexander Paper Supplies.

Best wishes - Jim

I am not an expert on scenery so I cannot help you there but I have to say that this could turn out to be a very nice little layout so I am looking forward to seeing more.

Looking at your name, can I assume that the wagons in the photo are from the Furness Railway Wagon Company range? I don't recall having seen any reference to these wagons on this forum so if they are, could you tell us something about them.

Willy

Your correct they are all from our range of wagons. Starting on the back row going from left to right: FR Hopper (FRWC01) is the first wagon we ever produced in 1999; next 2 are NER P5 Hoppers (FRWC37); NER P4 Hopper (FRWC52) second row: GNoSR 3plank open (FRWC51); FR 3plank open (FRWC06); MR Creosote Tank (FRWC14) front row: GCWC/FR 4plank open (FRWC26); GWR Box van (FRWC31) and the last one is NBR 1plank open (FRWC19)

Hello FW,

This may be of help I'm not sure, I was going to make a 4mm micro layout and got as far as point and track making and making some building using the Scalescenes freebies, I did buy some more kits but never made them up.

I decided to give my current layout away, after the Ilkeston show and scrap the 4mm idea and use the board for an 0 Gauge micro.

Making the scalescenes buildings was not a waste of time I have used what I found out to make this, it's 16" long about 6" high and will hide the fiddle yard, of course it's no where near as good as anything from Scalescenes but much better than my previous efforts.

28ixjix.jpg

The brick paper is the scaled down freebie from New Railway Modellers. The windows were made in MSPublisher using the tables facility and then printed onto OHP sheet, the interior scenes from old factory photographs and the lintels from a house round the corner and the card the 2mm grey from Alexander Paper Supplies.

Best wishes - Jim

Jim,

I store the layout as it is in the shed at the bottom of the garden have you had any problems with the damp getting to the paper?

FW

Your correct they are all from our range of wagons. Starting on the back row going from left to right: FR Hopper (FRWC01) is the first wagon we ever produced in 1999; next 2 are NER P5 Hoppers (FRWC37); NER P4 Hopper (FRWC52) second row: GNoSR 3plank open (FRWC51); FR 3plank open (FRWC06); MR Creosote Tank (FRWC14) front row: GCWC/FR 4plank open (FRWC26); GWR Box van (FRWC31) and the last one is NBR 1plank open (FRWC19)

They look very nice indeed and it would be nice to find out a bit more about them. Perhaps you could do a step-by-step build and write it up for the forum!

Willy

That appears to be a very straight forward build of a nice little wagon.

Willy

I think it took me longer to paint and letter than it did build. Most of the open wagon follow the same build principals

FW

Guest Jim Read

Hello FW,

My present layout has some paper and card on it, a backscene and a low relief factory;

fzaxqx.jpg

It spent last winter in the garage down to -20 C and most of this winter in the loft, the garage is a quite humid but not damp, nothing warped I'm pleased to say.

I do spray the brick paper with artists matt varnish and use double thicknesses of card.

Cheers - Jim

Hello FW,

My present layout has some paper and card on it, a backscene and a low relief factory;

fzaxqx.jpg

It spent last winter in the garage down to -20 C and most of this winter in the loft, the garage is a quite humid but not damp, nothing warped I'm pleased to say.

I do spray the brick paper with artists matt varnish and use double thicknesses of card.

Cheers - Jim

Thanks for the tip with the varnish.

FW

Looks a good use of the space! does the 6ft include the fiddle yard? have you a plan view of the layout? looks a really achievable design :)

also - is the fiddle yard covered by your display unit?

The 6ft includes the fiddle yard which is currently a 19 inch cassette which fits 3 15ft long wagons and a small 0-4-0 loco. It will fit stock in that is a little longer if I don't want to use the single siding that runs out from under the bridge. The fiddle yard is under the display area which fits up to 24 wagons, coaches or locos.

I'm currently adding another 1ft by 2ft board on the end which will have a factory on and allow allitle extra clearance at the points.

Strangely I never got round to drawing a plan which might be a good idea.

FW

The 6ft includes the fiddle yard which is currently a 19 inch cassette which fits 3 15ft long wagons and a small 0-4-0 loco. It will fit stock in that is a little longer if I don't want to use the single siding that runs out from under the bridge. The fiddle yard is under the display area which fits up to 24 wagons, coaches or locos.

FW

so assuming that the layout is split fairly equally, there is potential for building a version that is 3ft x 2ft (or less without the front siding...) a worryingly tempting concept, as I have tock and buildings with nowhere for tham to play atm :)

a plan would be great if/when you have the time

ta

andy

so assuming that the layout is split fairly equally, there is potential for building a version that is 3ft x 2ft (or less without the front siding...) a worryingly tempting concept, as I have tock and buildings with nowhere for tham to play atm :)

a plan would be great if/when you have the time

ta

andy

I think you could get the size down to 5ft6 but that's mainly due to the size of the wagons. 19 inches for a sector plate, 11 inches for a 4ft radius point then 36inches to allow 5 wagons in the largest siding. Other than that i think there would be two other ways to srink the size smaller wagons or change the number of wagons used.

FW

I see what you mean - i was thinking in terms of bringing the sector plate to the edge of your main board, losing a point (and not counting the sector plate in the 3ft :) )

is each board of yours 3ft? do you think it would be feasable?

Both of the boards that are built are 3ft by 2ft and there is a 1ft by 2ft board with the works buildings on it to come. However the lay out works with out it. The size of the head shunt/sector plate (1 loco/3wagons) and the long siding (5 wagons).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have built their engine shed and coaling stage - see my layout thread. they go together very well (I used the thick Rocket cyano). I have a few problems with the water tower base but I think it will be fine when I have filed the corners back to make it fit together.

Archived