Everyone needs a little vice in their life...

Rumblestripe

Just bought one of the little Aldi desk vices and for £5.99 you really cannot complain. It is principally die cast aluminium construction with rubber jaw grips. The jaws are roughly 3 inches (8cm) wide with a maximum opening of about 2 inches (5cm). The movement is quite smooth and the item itself feels solid enough on a desktop. If there was a criticism of the vice it would be that the ball that allows the swivel motion is cast with a noticeable casting seam that does slightly impede smooth movement of this component. But to be fair it is the price of a glossy magazine! They also are selling a suction operated vice of similar construction but I prefer the clamping version.

Product_detail_Wk7S13.jpg

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_23318.htm

On sale from today.

(Usual disclaimer - not associated with company just a happy punter)

• RMweb Gold

I'd concur with Horsetan.

The suction base version does stick down, but it rapidly loses it's ability to grip.

The stuff you should keep aneye out for in alsi are there mains operated mini drills for about £13.

They always come with loads of burrs grinders and cutting disks, and their accessory packs are particularly good value for money

Regards

Richard

A few years back now, I bought one of those Aldi suction vices - oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

Even at the price they ask it is a total waste of money!

My workbench has a melamine surface but the vice still lost suction v. rapidly (or never even held at all!) but worse than that, the swivel head had the most awful (in)action - it wasn't smooth in the least. And to cap it all off - the screw thread was v.poor, along with a poorly fitting turning handle!

It was so bad and yet so cheap, I hadn't the heart to get a refund, better to go in the scrap metal!

If you have to consider one of these vices, very definately try before you buy.

Cheers,

John E.

Archived