What coaches are these? 1990

Moo

Hi, I am wondering what these coaches are.

Thought I'd seen most of the obscure stuff from the 80's and 90's but have never seen these before.

Look like Mk2 underfames and bodies and Pullmann window sizes/numbers of windows/spacing.

They also appear to be named, hence thinking of them being Pullmanns.

Anybody modelled this rake????

I apologise if putting up the picture is a copywright infringemnet, but all rights to hondawanderer, who has posted the pic on their website, to which I have linked. Mods please mod if need be.

http://www.hondawanderer.com/D7672_Lostock_Hall_1990.htm

Cheers, Si

D7672_Lostock_Hall_1990.jpg

They were built in 1966 for the Liverpool Pullman and Manchester Pullman on the then newly-electrified WCML. They are based on Mk2 coaches but with unique styling. The Liverpool Pullman diappeared fairly quickly but the Mnchester Pullman lasted until around 1984 IIRC. After that, some of these coaches were scarpped and others were sold of to form a charter fleet.

• RMweb Premium

Transfers available from Fox, and I think Hurst do replacement etched sides for 4mm scale conversions.

After they were transfered to charter train work they were renamed after lakes (or was it Mountains?) in the Lake District, and became known as the Lake Districtt Pullman.

I believe some are still in use with West Coast Railway Company.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hello,

Regards these Mk2 Pullmans I read somewhere a long while ago that those scrapped used asbestos insulation whereas the survivors did not? I'm sure someone better than I could confirm but I think this is one of the reasons for the reduction of the fleet and possibly the introduction of the Mk3b FO / Pullmans.........

Kind regards,

GBMRG

Archived