Basingstoke exhibition, 10th-11th March

westerner

I'll probably go along on the Saturday as usual depending on parking as usual. It is usually quite a good show regardless of what precisely is there.

Though once again we have poor information out there on the Web, Less than a month to go and I haven't seen anything either, and if this is the first post on RMWeb - which I think it is then really they don't deserve any attendance. IIRC there was a very good thread going by this time last year?

Is Graham not running the show again this year?

• RMweb Gold

It was indeed 'going well' by this time last year if I recall correctly - and quite a nice show it was too (I went on both days!).

This is the only info about it on their website (apart from the page showing location and how to get there):-

http://www.bnhmrs.hampshire.org.uk/showing.html and where and how is on another page

http://www.bnhmrs.hampshire.org.uk/events.html

I am listening.... at the same time that I am trying to get the show guide into good order - a "proper" guide this time as requested by some on the thread last year. Layout plans will be included in the guide if time and space permit.

If I have the opportunity tonight then I shall add some details.

regards, Graham

[edit - I have re-written my earlier comment which was ambiguous and not helpful to the cause.]

No layout plans forthcoming in spite of asking.

Disgraceful, they should have subs deducted they are there by invite not as a right and the public need that sort of information to help them understand the layout.

Good to know you are on the case again this year and we could be fed apetisers and inducers on RMWeb to come along.

The exhibition details on the B&NHMRS web-site are "accurate" and clearly not good enough.... so that I can soothe your concerns, please use this thread to make suggestions and I shall try to post something appropriate here. We have checked with Network Rail and there are no planned engineering works which impact upon local services to/from Basingstoke - cannot speak for derailments, especially if you are travelling on the WCML. Directions to the event are on the club website and repeated here:-

By Car : The Event is Signposted by the AA. Post Code for SatNav is "RG22 6HA"

By Heritage Bus : (BR station to College)

BR Station Bus Stand "A" : 0945, 1035, 1150, 1320, & 1430 (1430 not Sunday)

Exhibition depart : 1015, 1130, 1300, 1415, 1530 & 1630. (1630 not Sunday)

By Stagecoach Bus: (BR station to Western Way) - Route "Jazz 3" timetable (Saturday every 10 minutes, Sunday every 30 minutes).

Parking is the same as last year - we have not been able to get additional space from the local community services. If you are driving to the show, the club web site has a link to a map showing the location of the school.... zoom into the map and look for Pinkerton Road off of Western Way, this is the only access to school parking. Alternatively, use the Heritage bus service from Basingstoke station, times here:-

By Heritage Bus : (BR station to College)

BR Station Bus Stand "A" : 0945, 1035, 1150, 1320, & 1430 (1430 not Sunday)

Exhibition depart : 1015, 1130, 1300, 1415, 1530 & 1630. (1630 not Sunday)

The Club is holding the admission charges at the 2010 level in spite of increased charges for hire of the facilities. In addition, we are printing 1,300 copies of our Show Guide - a 32 page A5 booklet with details of layouts and traders... plus adverts for local businesses who are supporting the show. The Show Guide is free - we encourage donations!

regards, Graham

• RMweb Gold

Graham - have you any idea yet of the timetable for the vintage 'bus from the station please? This was an excellent way of getting to the exhibition on the Saturday last year as it (plus the trains of course) made an ideal way of missing some busy traffic spots - and this year Reading are playing at home on the Saturday.

No layout plans forthcoming in spite of asking.

I'm surprised at Graham's comment about no layout plans forthcoming.

As someone who is taking another layout along (Meacham, on a rare trip down south) I am also a little surpeised by this comment. I'm more than happy to send layout plans, but clearly somewhere this has been missed in communications.

As to Kenton's comments 'Disgraceful, etc.', I'd suggest checking your facts before having a go at exhibitors, or, if it was intended as humourous make it clear.

We only spotted that the layout list had been put ont he web site a few days ago, but it looks an interesting and well varied list. Trade too looks like a good selection. I know the Meacham team are looking forward to being down there.

I'm more than happy to send layout plans.

If you have a plan that can be copied into the guide without being re-drawn then I can try to include that.... the guide is at final proof stage and goes to the printers next Monday. I have sent e-mail address via pm.

thank you Graham

Graham - have you any idea yet of the timetable for the vintage 'bus from the station please? This was an excellent way of getting to the exhibition on the Saturday last year as it (plus the trains of course) made an ideal way of missing some busy traffic spots - and this year Reading are playing at home on the Saturday.

The show is 25 miles from the Mad Stad..... :scratchhead: (t-in-c)

Heritage Bus timings are on the Club web-site and included in my post of yesterday. If you use the bus please toss a coin or two into the Aldershot Bus Group's bucket - whilst the Club makes a sizable donation to the running of the service the cost to the group is considerable.

regards, Graham

• RMweb Gold

The show is 25 miles from the Mad Stad..... :scratchhead: (t-in-c)

Heritage Bus timings are on the Club web-site and included in my post of yesterday. If you use the bus please toss a coin or two into the Aldershot Bus Group's bucket - whilst the Club makes a sizable donation to the running of the service the cost to the group is considerable.

regards, Graham

Ah, brain re-engaged :blush: re 'bus TT (and yes I do chuck a few bob in their hat, it's a fun ride). And alas the Mad Stad lies slap bang on my shortest road route to Basingstoke; sometimes Tadley can sound quite attractive :O

... taking another layout along - Meacham - on a rare trip down south... I'm more than happy to send layout plans.
Good to his word, I have received a plan - the challenge is now how to get the plan into the guide. In the meantime, OldNick has sent some cracking photos of Meacham which is appearing at the Basingstoke 2012 show. I had to look at the show guide (the proof that is!) to decide on the gauge / scale of the model.

post-4085-0-32272900-1329219532_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-43925400-1329219586_thumb.jpg

As to Kenton's comments 'Disgraceful, etc.', I'd suggest checking your facts before having a go at exhibitors, or, if it was intended as humourous make it clear.

Not really humourous, though perhaps a little tounge in cheek but still quite serious.

I am of the belief that any show guide is next to useless without a track plan to accompany the description. I believe that it is a simple enough thing to produce by the layout owner and should accompany (and be asked for) in the same request for layout dimensions (that also should be in the guide).

Now I realise that if the "guide" is a simple A4 sheet (that should be free) then there is not room and the one most important thing is a plan of what is where in the hall. But if the guide contains any specific details about a layout it should have a track plan and if I am expected to pay for it (which I really don't mind) then give some value in return.

Now I realise that if the "guide" is a simple A4 sheet (that should be free) then there is not room and the one most important thing is a plan of what is where in the hall. But if the guide contains any specific details about a layout it should have a track plan and if I am expected to pay for it (which I really don't mind) then give some value in return.

I made note of your comments about the "guide" for the last show - this year the guide is a 32-page A5 booklet and free. OK, we have taken our eye of the ball in one respect and that is layout plans. I shall try to include plans if available and if there is space.

regards, Graham

I made note of your comments about the "guide" for the last show - this year the guide is a 32-page A5 booklet and free.  OK, we have taken our eye of the ball in one respect and that is layout plans.  I shall try to include plans if available and if there is space.

regards, Graham

My comment/response was a general one not specific to the Basingstoke show guide and I did note the "free" in your earlier comment.

Possibly, where you may have slipped up this year is not getting a RMWeb thread going as early as you did last year (IIRC well before Xmas 2010). As someone who attends many shows a year I rely to some extent on RMWeb info and not remembering to visit each specific site (though may well follow a link when posted on here). Although visiting in previous years I had forgotten that it was early March, and were it not for this thread may well have passed by.

The one thing to be thankful for is that it isn't on Feb 18th as I have a real problem choosing with so many shows around here on that date - I'll probably pick the one that "advertised" earliest on RMWeb (well why not? as good as a pin in a map)

The one thing to be thankful for is that it isn't on Feb 18th as I have a real problem choosing with so many shows around here on that date - I'll probably pick the one that "advertised" earliest on RMWeb

Or the one with the most layouts in a given scale? Do not forget the S&D show in Shepton Mallet...

Do not forget the S&D show in Shepton Mallet...

Yes, I really wanted to get to that one this year, but sadly nothing seen on RMWeb. I guess Watford wins.

Still Basingstoke is a definite for the 10th March, everything else is up north.

Thanks, OK I missed that one. But once again not exactly advance notice. With all this posting at least it keeps a topic up there in the VNC page 1-3 ... anywhere else is just history to me.

David does an excellent job with Railex - the next show is announced within days off the old days and the thread regularly bumped up the VNC with an update. It is hard to miss. (just like the show itself).

• RMweb Gold

Never, ever, no...

How about going round the east side of Reading? Swallowfield / Risely and join the A33 just north of the Wellington Monument.

Remarkably for me (albeit discounting the time for the 'bus journey from the station in Basingstoke together with my 10 minute stroll to the station at this end) it is almost as quick by rail - with 2 changes enroute. And the shortest road route is by going east of Reading so you were right on with that one - but I'll probably only come by road if, like last year, I do a second visit on the Sunday.

Archived