Basingstoke exhibition, 10th-11th March

westerner

As the guide is free to visitors I am interested to know if any readers wish to have a copy before the show which is next weekend.  I had though about posting the guide here....  and then thought that maybe the Mods might not like the inclusion of pages which have advertising of local businesses.  So, if you wish to receive a copy of the guide please contact me by pm.

As it will be free, I'll will almost certainly be throwing a coin in the bucket as long as there is one left when I get there. Also will, as usual throw a couple of coins in the bucket of the scouts if they are there finding a parking place for me.

On the subject of publishing anything in advance - could I suggest the floor plan?

Looking forward to a good show on Saturday.

As it will be free, I'll will almost certainly be throwing a coin in the bucket as long as there is one left when I get there.

On the subject of publishing anything in advance - could I suggest the floor plan?

I shall make sure that we have a big bucket!

As regards the floor plan... sorry to have taken so long to post this information, I have had to extract material from the pdf for the guide.....

post-4085-0-30736200-1330959896_thumb.jpg

Just do not say that we do not listen to our visitors!

regards, Graham

With just a few days to go... I understand that some exhibitors and their teams are champing at the bit. Indeed I understand that one team from the London area intends to spend most of Friday somewhere south of Basingstoke... spotting / photography "Sheds". Those of you who frequent the A31 in the Farnham area know that the best place for spotting "sheds" is on the roundabout east of the town... the only place that I know where you get "bad shed jokes" on a regular basis.

Please remember to say hello if you get to the show.... and let me know what you think are the good points and the bad points.

regards, Graham

Just six hours to kick-off for setting up.

Last year there was about fifty RMWeb readers who said hello at the show.... and generally with favourable comments.

If you come tothe show, please say hello (I shall be hiding under a red hat) and push the total beyond fofty this year.

Thank you for reading the texts, hope that you enjoyed the pictures.

regards, Graham Beare

• RMweb Premium

There will be four of us in one party first thing tomorrow as the Leaford crew make a visit. You'll probably find myself, pitbull1845, beresford junction and Hampshirehog in front of Invergeachy at some point I'm sure!

All those who help in the running of shows will know the effort involed in set-up... and that no matter how careful the planning something goes in the other direction. One layout has withdrawn from the exhibition - Hythe - and one or two traders arrived unexpectedly! Seven o'clock last night found several of the exhibition team pacing the floor, tape measures trailing and muttering about lengths, depths and gangways - space was found and all resolved (even though at one point a trader's stand, set out for the show, was moved across the hall by bodies on each corner).

The Basingstoke Club hopes that all if the visitors have an enjoyable time.... thank you for attending.

regards, Graham Beare

Just got back from a very enjoyable show, well worth the visit ... although I do think Model Rail need to do a Workbench article about 'How to ... use soap'.

Aside from that some cracking layouts, very impressed.

Interestingly some nutter with a beard, checked shirt and scarf nearly had my eye out with a camera ... makes a change from backpacks tho ;)

The Basingstoke Club hopes that all if the visitors have an enjoyable time....  thank you for attending.

regards, Graham Beare

It was a pleasure.

Some interesting layouts, and I felt it was quite an unusual mix. With the long end-to-end layouts appearing to dominate which makes a change. Being able to watch trains go by without the expectation that they will just come round again-and-again.

Particular thanks to the Scouts who managed to find a spot on the grass for me (an extra coin in the bucket) and then opened the door! Do I look that old! It must have been a nightmare to find bollards blocking off the 5-aside court from usual parking. I did hear groans and moans about the overflow parking - and I thought I had arrived early at 10:20.

Must say that the gangways were crowded as ever - no surprise and really little that can be done, though most I saw were polite and living with it - but the guy who gently pushed my butt out of the way while I was peering over a barrier came close to an aerial display. His groveling apology helped me understand it was accidental.

This is one show where I don't expect much from the trade, and my short list was hardly dented. In fact if I have one small complaint it was the box shifters - possibly 2 or 3 too many and the marked prices a bit too far off ebay BINs.

Good show, nothing to put me off attending next year.

• RMweb Gold

Just got home after a pretty good day out, enlivened by the site of a 'Tornado' worked special at Reading while enroute. The 'bus from the station worked well and this year the pick-up point was signed from the station concourse (excellent = improvement on last year). Arriving off the 09.45 'bus daughter I landed up in the initial entry queue and it was flowing well with competent ticket selling going on apace and competently handled. Entry price held at last year's level = a point well in favour.

I agree with Kenton about some aisles being crowded but feel that although it can be a nuisance at time it is unavoidable in a show in this sort of venue and we were able to get to see the layouts and get to traders we wished to get to without too much bother. I spent somewhat less with traders than last year (buying a loco makes a big difference and this year I didn't) and I was able to get something (acrylic paints and washes) that I had been hoping to get plus a book I had in mind plus another I saw for the first time today - so satisfactory on the 'shopping' front although i agree to some extent with Kenton (again :O :sungum: ) about the apparent presence of RTR sellers (I wouldn't refer to some of them as 'box shifters' as they are not in that priced down bracket and in any case RRP and actual prices in that are have risen over the last few months. But one wall of the Sports Hall did seem rather overdone with them.

And yes - a good mix of layouts, certainly suited my eclectic tastes and some good quality ones among them. Good too to meet a few RMweb folk particularly Alan (Westerner) on Potterbourne and to have a chat with Graham (Western Star) about the show itself.

My only real moan is about the catering area and the bigger part of that is any case about the rude folk who insist on blocking the serving area and swinging large & heavy shoulder bags into those behind them (are shoulder bags the new rucksack I wonder?). The other problem was the apparent difficulty with addition suffered by those on the serving side - even when offered more money they declined it and long drawn out calculation didn't help the flow of the queue although the service itself was faultless, the tea very palatable, and the sarnies good value plus plenty of seating even at a peak time.

I was asked to comment on the guide so I will - free so good value (I chucked some cash in the pot anyway), good quality paper/print, no layout plans but far worse than that layouts listed in apparently random order which relates to neither the alphabet or the way they were fitted into the exhibition making quick reference difficult (definite minus point), and the inclusion of the ads among the layout description instead of a block of pages at the end of the guide. I would prefer a guide arranged with layouts first - referenced to the hall layout or at least in alphabetical order, then the traders (ok by me to mix in ads there) plus the remain ads at the back.

Overall - good value for money and daughter and I were glad we went (by train ;) )

The team from Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society thank the BNHMRS for their appreciation of our 'N' gauge layout Meacham making it best in show. We picked up some electrical problems due to the heat this afternoon and hope this didn't spoil anyone's enjoyment. Good show so far and we are looking forward to the social and quiz certain that we will not be so successful this evening.

If you couldn't make it today do come down tomorrow and say hello.

We picked up some electrical problems due to the heat this afternoon and hope this didn't spoil anyone's enjoyment. Good show so far ....

If you couldn't make it today do come down tomorrow and say hello.

We acknowledge that we had a "hot room" problem today and we did open someof the windows in the gym when we were made aware of the issue. We shall keep tabs on the temperature on Sunday....

thank you, Graham Beare

Likewise it was good to meet some RM members who introduced themselves to us East Anglians exhibiting Potterbourne, particularly Mike (The Stationmaster) and 81C. The great thing about Potterbourne is that we can break it down very quickly and we were away from the vent by 4.20 meaning we were back in East Norfolk before 8.00.

Thoroughly enjoyed the show and found everybody we came into contact with at the host club very friendly. An excellent weekend!! Thanks Graham (Western Star)

Just a little tale showing the young, in this case very young (about 6or 7) know something about steam. It was latish on Sunday pm when a young family came and looked at Potterbourne, and the youngest son asked if the pannier (his words) was the only loco we had and did we have a Manor. I said no we didn't but we did have several other locos (as Mike will verify :no: ), so iIlet him look around the back and he immediately identified the autocoach and the prairie. As I Said earlier he could have been no older than 7. There is hope yet!!

It would hve been good to have met Kenton , but never mind another exhibition perhaps.

We that is Potterbourne seemed to have missed Chris Nevard. Not sure he got as far as the Drama Room.

• RMweb Gold

Alan,

I realised I'd missed the Drama room when I finally read the guide at home - this is fairly normal for me though! Duh...

That was why I went on both days last year - when I didn't just miss the drama room but also managed to miss the Sports Hall (signs were obscured and i was probably brain-dead on the Saturday). Potterbourne was very nice so a shame you missed it Chris - and its loco variety.

I do wonder at the value of placing layouts in the Drama Room or in the Cafe. The blind and narrow "tunnel" into the Drama Room is not always easy to negotiate and I'm sure many miss it as it is behind two trade stands. Ok, once missed, it is remembered for following years. I appreciate the extra layouts that can be packed in there and it wasn't only Potterbourne. The "z" layout was thoroughly entertaining and the other layouts Haven Hill and Wadebridge were certainly fine models. Each year I give the cafe a miss and any layouts in there, usually because by the time I reach there I'm tired and want to make it home. I am not great on food at any show and have to say prefer a flask and piece of fruit back in the car.

Also on the subject of areas of little value, I would add the stage. Was it Squires up there this year? I wonder how many take one look at the steps and just pass by?

I did appreciate the provision of a small seating area this year.

These are not really criticisms of the show, you have to work with the space given and fitting it all in must be a nightmare.

Went on Saturday, another very good selection of layouts on display, Wadebridge 1860's, Potterbourne, Flockburgh, Swaynton among those I liked. Bumped into the Leaford on the road crew just after getting into the show. As to the layout of the show, I tend to make sure I look for any open doors (and possible signs next to them) to see if anything is in them, as Kenton says you have to make the most of the space available to you, I just think that Schools aren't particularly pro active for model railway shows.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

A big advantage for navigation this year was having the plan available before departure - very useful. especially in buildings like schools where the layouts etc are spread over several rooms. As far as Squires are concerned I understand that they were something of an unexpected arrival and presumably that accounted for them being on the stage - no doubt Graham will let us know in due course.

And I don't blame Kenton for missing out the catering area - it tends to get crowded (although not difficult to find a seat) and it was noticeable that between our arrival in the room and leaving it a trade stand near the door seemed to have completely altered in shape - presumably to widen the aisle.

A big advantage for navigation this year was having the plan available before departure - very useful. especially in buildings like schools where the layouts etc are spread over several rooms.

That was a major plus and one I would recommend for all Exhibition Managers, it made life so much easier.

Also on the subject of areas of little value, I would add the stage. Was it Squires up there this year? I wonder how many take one look at the steps and just pass by?

I tried to get up there twice, but there were so many people I gave up! Thankfully I didn't actually need anything from them, but it would have been nice to have a look.

I am very appreciative that so many RMWeb readers have bothered to comment on our show - either in person at the show or here after visiting the exhibition. I have not been able to respond as I wish so far....

We had cleared the show from the school by 6pm.... I got home, ate dinner and then hit the road again (Sunday pm) to collect a son from Uni so that he could look after our dogs whilst I went to MId Kent today so as to assemble and install IKEA furniture for another son who is starting his first home. As for Peter, he collapsed exhausted last night and still had to attend a CIMA training course today.

Short form answers:-

[1] Squires were on the stage because that was the only usable space available when that stand arrived, unexpected, on Firday.

[2] Ceynix Tree stand did indeed change shape on Saturday, around noon, when we realised that there was a conflict between people queuing for refreshments and those wishing to see the excellent model trees.

[3] We had considered not using the drama room this year because some visitors seem to omit that room no matter how we publicise that the show uses five halls. However, to do so means a show with just 19 or 20 layouts (I hope that you will appreciate why traders have no desire to be sited in the drama room) and maybe that is not enough to warrant the positive feedback about the breadth and diversity of layouts.

[4] Queuing for food and serving time were addressed before opening Sunday morning, as a result of Stationmaster's comments on Saturday, by the introduction of additional helpers (who were chosen for their numeric skills).

[5] Food? Our team prepared and dispensed 1,000 cups of tea, 700 rounds of sandwiches, over 600 chocolate bars and too many packets of crisps / biscuits to count.... and at prices which do not make the eyes water. I am proud that this is one aspect of the show where we excel.

[6] As for the quiz at the Saturday Social Event... the achievable score was around 130 points with 2/3rds of the teams getting between 80 and 85 points. Second place was 94 points and the winner was 103 points. Not a bad result in spite of the Quizmaster trying to mis-lead the contestants - for example:- "what was unique about the accident to engine 700012 ( a number in the range for the Britannias)?" Well who said that that the engine was a Brit? The question referred to te Class 70 which was dropped...

Keep on with the feedback and I hope to have more time on Tuesday to reply.

regards, Graham Beare

I found this a very enjoyable show and thanks to everybody who made it possible. As no one has added photos yet, perhaps these will be of interest.

Firstly, my favourite, Kidmore Magna (N), though difficult to photograph

post-7362-0-33285000-1331668201.jpg

Potterbourne (00)

post-7362-0-70445500-1331668264.jpg

post-7362-0-58574100-1331668261.jpg

Rheingauz (Z) - interesting moving vessels on the 'river'

post-7362-0-69339500-1331668363.jpg

Lydgate (00)

post-7362-0-70729700-1331668520.jpg

post-7362-0-41286000-1331668514.jpg

Meacham (N)

post-7362-0-08736500-1331668735.jpg

post-7362-0-84550300-1331668728.jpg

Wiveliscombe (00)

post-7362-0-25930900-1331668975.jpg

post-7362-0-35123300-1331668968.jpg

Swaynton (EM)

post-7362-0-29544100-1331669106.jpg

post-7362-0-67491100-1331669097.jpg

post-7362-0-83913800-1331669301.jpg

Finally, Weydon Road (0), which we were exhibiting for the first time in British Railways guise

post-7362-0-13893800-1331669380.jpg

post-7362-0-04201900-1331669518.jpg

post-7362-0-49854400-1331669499.jpg

Julian

Archived