Tucking Mill

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

I knew I should have carried straight on rather than turning right at Dunster. Actually is there a campsite near bath with direct access to somewhere to walk the dogs/ I would like to attend Larkrail sometime and walk the canal sometime.

Mention of the North Cornwall Mineral Railways takes me back a bit I think it influenced a lot of us. Just like you are doing in your turn.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff Jerry. I enjoyed the Tregarrick articles in Model Railways enormously.

Did you press Mr Rice regarding the important question of when we might see a new Tregarrick?

Regards, Andy

Iain has been talking about reserecting Tregarick for some time. He now has all the locos and some of the stock back although the layout disintegrated due to a combination of light weight construction and bad storage. Would be great to see a new version, one of my all time favourites.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes, I still go back to the late 70s/early 80s Model Railways articles on the NCMR for inspiration from time to time.  In an era of the "British Standard GWR/LMS Branch Line" they stood out as something very different.

Iain also did a retrospective on the layout candidly discussing what went wrong.  The loco mechanisms were very much on the bleeding edge of what was possible at the time. Anyone remember the ECM type 1 motor and it's foibles...?!

Nowadays, the availability of excellent motors and gearboxes makes a 4mm project like Tregarrick quite feasible. Even in 2mm, a "Tregarrick Reduced" is possible, as Jerry is proving.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Nowadays, the availability of excellent motors and gearboxes makes a 4mm project like Tregarrick quite feasible. Even in 2mm, a "Tregarrick Reduced" is possible, as Jerry is proving.

Mark

As Mark says, Iain's NCMR was ground breaking in both concept and construction. I would dearly love a Neilson box tank like Pioneer, based on the ones on the Redruth and Chacewater, but I had a good look at the weekend and it would be very tight in 2mm, even with modern motors. A 2mm version of Hercules on the other hand.............!

Next to John and I at Larkrail at the weekend was Robin Gay with his unfinished Wantage. Despite filthy wheel and not having run for many years Pioneer managed to run up and down the layout.

Jerry

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The latest item of stock for the North Somerset Light is starting to take shape and is pictured below. It's build is being charted in the 'build a loco challenge' section of the site. Hopefully this link will work
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97221-ford-railcar-and-ilfracombe-goods-in-2fs/&do=findComment&comment=1822026

post-1074-0-40794500-1440056376_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 9

The "problem" with that arrangement, Jerry, is that those "Stephens'" back-to-back railcars were so light that they couldn't handle any form of normal tail (or, by extension, in-between) traffic. There were wagons that could be inserted between the two railcars to carry goods, milk churns, passengers' luggage, etc., but they were so lightweight that they were more platelayers' trolley with sides than wagon.

I believe, though, that there is at least one view of one such "wagon" conveying a very large (but lightweight) load of hay, duly tarpaulined, and no doubt such a load could be used to hide a motor if necessary.

• RMweb Gold

The "problem" with that arrangement, Jerry, is that those "Stephens'" back-to-back railcars were so light that they couldn't handle any form of normal tail (or, by extension, in-between) traffic. There were wagons that could be inserted between the two railcars to carry goods, milk churns, passengers' luggage, etc., but they were so lightweight that they were more platelayers' trolley with sides than wagon.

I believe, though, that there is at least one view of one such "wagon" conveying a very large (but lightweight) load of hay, duly tarpaulined, and no doubt such a load could be used to hide a motor if necessary.

You are if course absolutely correct and the wagon I've used is far too big but for now I will live with it. As I mention over on the build thread I have a few ideas for a smaller mechanism more in keeping with the trolley used on the prototype but that will have to wait. The powered wagon, which works rather well, will then find a very small prototype to push along.

There are numerous pictures and four bits of film over on the build thread, many of which include the wagon. There was also a third coach in the centre of some units which is a possibility.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

The powered wagon, which works rather well, will then find a very small prototype to push along.

What sort of person would do a mad thing like that, eh? :scratchhead:

Seriously, I think you could work up a small van or wagon over the very small Tsugawa chassis like this one

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Mini-Size-Motorized-Chassis-TU-7T-Tsugawa-Yokou-14008-N-scale-/201396032572

I've acquired one to fit under a BH Enterprises Ruston 48DS etching. The chassis is split-frame so re-profiling the wheels doesn't appear to be difficult.

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What sort of person would do a mad thing like that, eh? :scratchhead:

Mark

It's your Aveling that got me thinking........

This one is also very compact and runs very nicely. Wheels are easily converted to 2FS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tomytec-HM-01-Hakotesu-Powered-Motorized-Chassis-N-scale-/351484502870?hash=item51d61be356

I've ordered one. It gives a wheel base of just over 8' with little overhang beyond that so a much smaller wagon can be built around it. I'm sure the cover can be lost so the mechanism can be hidden by a load that's not too improbably large.

You could always try one of these Jerry:

This one is 3' gauge, there is also a standard gauge version. Will you be at GDSF with Kim?

Tim

I like that Tim. Yes Kim and I will be at GDSF, will give you a bell in the next few days.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

You could always produce a small home-made van instead, that would hide the mechanism.

Cheers, Dave.

I know Colonel Stephens railcars had centre trailers built, but if you look elsewhere for inspiration, there are some other interesting ones like these, for example.

post-26366-0-19739600-1440459726.gif

post-26366-0-57291800-1440459728.gif

post-26366-0-49485900-1440460096.gif

The first two are Arica-Tacna (Chile/Peru) and the third SL&NC (Ireland)

Here is one from the USA - fitted with curtains for inclement weather, possibly useful for hiding a motor.

post-26366-0-49019500-1440460098.gif

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

If you've got a nice closed box to hide a mechanism, there's a lot more scope. Perhaps the North Somerset might have found passenger numbers lacking and converted one of the pair to parcels/goods use? You might not need to board up the windows, just surround the mechanism with a pile of parcels and baskets etc.

To give you an idea, here's a couple of photos of Tom Knapp's Nn3 railtruck.  The rear axle is driven via a motor angled at about 45 degrees, attached to which is a simple worm/wormwheel gearbox. Wheels are home made and I think the body is from some home-produced etchings.

post-7249-0-75692500-1440491059_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-02231100-1440491105_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on progress on the Wharf. The two cottages have received a lot more work as has most of the ground work which is now blended and almost ready to start receiving ground cover.

The tub way track work has been completed and 'das-end' in. More work this evening - chores permitting!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Jerry

Having recently treated myself to several of the wonderful Wild Swan books on the Severn and Wye and Forest of Dean branches with the idea of using them as inspiration for a small first 2mm project, I was intrigued by the tramroad feeders which shouted out as a great focus for an rural industrial scene.

Then I remembered where I'd seen it done before. B^gger!

Edited by chrisveitch

• RMweb Gold

Having recently treated myself to several of the wonderful Wild Swan books on the Severn and Wye and Forest of Dean branches with the idea of using them as inspiration for a small first 2mm project, I was intrigued by the tramroad feeders which shouted out as a great focus for an rural industrial scene.

Then I remembered where I'd seen it done before. B^gger!

Don't let the fact I've used one as inspiration put you off, there are masses of inspiring pictures in those books which could form the basis of a small 2mm model.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

When living in the Forest I used to find old stone blocks of the tramway still in the ground including those of a turnout behind the Mushet steel works. And a tiny tunnel were the tramway ran under the railway at point quarry.

Don

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been down the workshop this evening playing with TM in readiness for its trip to Taunton at the weekend. One of the advantages of going DCC is that locos can be popped on shed buffer to buffer without having to worry about section switches, isolating sections etc!

post-1074-0-23299900-1445375509_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-33402500-1445375529_thumb.jpg

This will be TMs first outing as a DCC layout so will be a steep learning curve for me and the team. If you come and see us and we are suffering from a particularly steep part of that curve, go easy on us:-))

Jerry

Edit to apologise for the gloomy images. They were snapped on the phone without the benefit of the layout lighting on. For the record the locos are number 2 'Stephanie', 3 'Holly', 4 'Kimbereley' and a couple of Queensquare's shunters, 1F 1676 and Jinty 16548.

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 8

.... and a couple of Queensquare's shutters, 1F 1676 and Jinty 16548.

I presume you mean 'shunters'!  Or are the shutters going up to hide the learning curve?

You will need to get used to the braking and remember to 'shut off steam' a bit before you get to where you want to stop.  That will depend on what the setting of the braking CV.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim, now edited,

The locos all perform very well, all have CT chips and coreless motors. The most likely source of problems will be operator error due to not being familiar with the new system - hopefully we'll soon pick it up!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing it Jerry. Which DCC system will you be using?

Don

I'll be using my ZTC 511 with a 622 handheld which I like very much for home use although as I said in my PM I'm looking for something a little less cumbersome to take to shows.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

NCE Power Cab, for example . . .

David

You are not the first to recommend Powercab and if I end up buying new that's probably what I will go for. I've had a play on one a few times and like the feel of it. An old Lenz is also a possibility if I can get one at a good price as it's compatable with John's and an extra handset or two on the North Cornwall is always useful.

That said, both Lenz and ZTC use x-bus so it should in theory be possible to use my ZTC 622 handsets with the Lentz.

Jerry