SOMERSET LANE; 7mm BR(GE) early 1960's Depot

TimC

• RMweb Premium

Good day today at Thornbury - Always a friendly show! Here are a couple of pictures for those who didn't see the Thornbury Show thread

post-7686-0-32205700-1353790974_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-24012600-1353790985_thumb.jpg

Best comment heard from behind the layout was a chap telling his small son that the goods shed was being dismantled - 'look, they've already removed the wall and started to take the slates off the roof.' (Can't wait to tell Jim!)

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Slates look out of place some how, wrong region. :whistle:

Looks great in the flesh and the people stopping by to see the layout seemed well pleased with it. Nice one Tim. Well worth the 150 mile drive to see it.

Thanks, Good to see you again TTG!

Gets even more impressive.

Have I already said how nice it is to see another GE layout? Look forward to more updates and I hope to see it in person one day...

Where is Sodbury Vale anyway?????

Best, Pete.

Thanks Pete. Sodbury Vale is just north east of Bristol around Yate, Chipping Sodbury and Wickwar between the Severn and the Cotswold edge (north of the M4 and east of the M5).

• RMweb Premium

We had a great weekend at the Thornbury show. The layout seemed to be well received and the testing in the run up to the event paid off as it ran virtually faultlessly (well actually, one of the controllers wouldn't work first thing Saturday - it was a lot better though once I'd plugged it into the control panel!).

The post show list of jobs or matters arising was quite short. :good:

This was the first time we had to pack the layout for transportation - it fits easily into Paul estate car. Paul had made up a hinged frame that bolts onto the side of the layout and we then 'fold' one board on top of the other. You'll notice that we had to remove one of the adjustable feet for transport as it fouled the little (Maplins) DC power supply circuit board we have to run the yard lamps (this has now been moved). The fixings, fit and general stability of the frame has also been improved since we got back to the clubrooms.

post-7686-0-78947200-1354186690_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-27516900-1354186704_thumb.jpg

You can see above that there is a load of scatter material on the frame as we disguise the board joint with loose material. We've also found a few scenic items that need to be more positively fixed to the layout - these have now been pinned into position.

Apart from a few stock projects there are some scenic jobs we are planning but haven't quite decided how they are going to be executed yet, so watch this space.....

Somerset Lane's next outing is our own Sodbury Vale MRC exhibition on 26 January 2013 (St Marys Church, Yate, BS37 5BG). The layout is available now for exhibition so if you are interested then drop me a PM.

Edited by TimC
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Somerset Lane (well, half of it) had a trip out to the Bristol O Gauge Show on Sunday as part of the Sodbury Vale MRC Stand.

post-7686-0-69416800-1358781407_thumb.jpg

It is appearing in its entirety this Saturday, 26 January 2013, at the Sodbury Vale MRC Show at St Mary's Church & Church Hall, Yate, BS37 5BG.

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66352-yate-model-railway-show-26-january-2013/

Other RMweb favourites will be there too - Wales Rails Rain & Steel, St Juilot, Whitney Euston and many other layouts too.

If you are in the area come and say hello!

[Edit - It helps if I use the Church's postcode and not mine at home!]

Edited by TimC
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

HI Bob

Thanks for message,  Somerset Lane is finished and has appeared at a couple of local shows, we have added the odd detail but nothing major really since the last update was posted back in 2012.  Paul has completed his Steve Beattie Class 16, which was a bit of a battle but it looks the part and runs well.  

post-7686-0-79094000-1393109833_thumb.jpg

The completed goods shed always draws comments too.

post-7686-0-36948100-1393109875_thumb.jpg

The layout is next appearing at the Glastonbury & Street Lions Club Exhibition, Meadway Hall, Ham Lane, Compton Dundon, Street, Somerset on 1 March 2014.

The SVMRC (larger scales) team are about to start an S Gauge layout, which is really a project of one of the members but it'll only get finished for next years club exhibition if we all put some effort into it.  Maybe once we get underway, I'll start a thread on that.  

• Like 4

Hi Tim

The Class 16 looks great, I remember seeing these when new-ish running through Hackney, to and from Stratford, although they were never a common sight - Great layout, hope to see sometime at exhibition.

Cheers.

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Tim. Shame I did not get over to see it in detail at the Bristol show

Thanks TTG, we had Paul's old layout at Bristol this year - Thames Wharf Yard.

Maybe we'll get an invite for Somerset Lane another year  ;)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I shall look forward to seeing it at Bristol in the new year.

If your on Facebook this page might be of interest

https://www.facebook.com/groups/552195994929038/

It's an O gauge group.

Thanks Steve.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of Luddite when it comes to social media - I spend too much time on modelling forums as it is  :read:

[Edit - given my efforts here, joining facebook wouldn't help my spelling either!]

Edited by TimC

• 4 years later...