Scratch-built Yeoman, ARC & BSC PTA Tipplers

lyneux

• RMweb Gold

That rake really does look rather good,

Making me very tempted to dig out mine and at the very least finish off the painting & transfers even if I don't build the bogies...

Will be nice to have the odd running session on the layout with 59 and a set of PTAs

Quite tempted to do the 2nd set of 5 in ARC looking at those (assuming they were still using them in 98)

• RMweb Gold

In the long term the intention is to still build that layout, I still have all the templott printouts rolled up awaiting use...

The long term plan being that once the garage has been insulated, I will have one layout against each wall, with the fiddleyards under the opersite layout. 

Last night I got as far as looking for the PTA stock box, but it looks like it is one of the ones that are still in storage at my parents house, so will have to wait another couple of weeks until I pick it up...

Not sure how long I will look at the white metal bogies before putting it all away again!

• 1 month later...

I have been working on a 3D model of a Westinghouse air brake distributer (renders below). I plan to add this to the fret with the other under-frame components. I've only focused on details that are 0.1mm or larger - bear in mind that the whole thing is only about 6mm high! The distinctive lever on the front will be produced as an etch to fit. Holes have been pre-cut to accept wire for the pipes and for the etched lever.

The final job is to combine the components for printing, check/reduce the polygon count add then add to a fret.

post-7525-0-54140700-1364814741_thumb.jpg

post-7525-0-74026500-1364814774_thumb.jpg

post-7525-0-94504100-1364814784_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
Spurred on by resin casting at the Ally Pally show for DEMU, I've been making up some more PTAs. Just the excuse I need to play again with the brake distributer and various other bits.

After cleaning with white spirit, FUD goes a kind of milky white. Not a massive problem as it's going to get painted anyway. I have two prints of the brake distributer - the bad one that was printed in a cube (still clogged with detail even after cleaning) and a good one that was printed as part of the under frame components. Here are shots of both after having some primer applied (along with a strip of Roe-Vac vents):

The one on the right is even more clogged with wax than the one on the left (even after cleaning with white spirit and a soft brush):

13469215464_8351fcaca2_b.jpg

The top of the "bad" print isn't actually all that bad! I'm pleased with the RoeVacs, they look good in real life (can't see the stepping at all with the Mk1 eyeball) and the fins around the vent gaps are pretty sharp:

13468970483_3fc0cb2cda_b.jpg

And now for the "good" print - a lot cleaner and less clogged with wax:

13469223734_896a3d9ddd_b.jpg

Most of the detail on the mounting plate has come out as well as the 0.5mm pilot holes for the brake pipes (a gold star for anyone who can spot the not-so-deliberate mistake in this photo):

13469226814_9120b66b82_b.jpg

And here's what I have been waiting to paint... the handles. You wait ages for a handle and then two come along at once! Thanks to Colin and Tom for sorting these out for me. Colin's are in brass and Tom's in stainless.

13468888275_4ddde52db7_b.jpg

It would be wrong to get this far and not make one up, so here is one of the "bad" prints with one of Tom's handles (the good ones need more paint before I assemble them). To assemble, I used a strand from a piece of multi-core electrical wire (about 0.15mm diameter) as the mounting pin. It was fitted by drilling out a pilot hole with a 0.3mm bit (smallest twist drill bit I have). I then used a small amount of superglue to glue the strand of wire in the hole. Once dry, thread on the handle to the wire. Small blob of glue again and then trim off the excess wire. These things are TINY and this was pretty much at my limit of being able to see what I was doing. The brass wire that it is poised on is 0.4mm which gives you some indication of just how small everything is.

13468876925_fc7c6efa5c_b.jpg

The light was fading at this point in the afternoon. I'll take some more photos on a sunnier day.

13468880305_05f372f180_b.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

anybody know how I can get hold of these in kit form or get the bogies and scratchbuild the rest.. realise this was a few years ago. I cant seem to find any thing on the net accept dead alleys.. thanks

Marco

They were going to be made available to DEMU members as kits but the project appears to have died a death which is a shame as I want 18 of them...

John

They were going to be made available to DEMU members as kits but the project appears to have died a death which is a shame as I want 18 of them...

John

Only 18 ????? I want a full South Wales set of 27

Only 18 ????? I want a full South Wales set of 27

Two nine wagons rakes for the trips to Consett, lots of hills in Durham, they'd have needed a fair few 37s to get a 27 wagon train up to Consett :)

It's a real disappointment that the DEMU endeavour appears to have failed...

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

John

I may scratchbuild 4-5 to mix in with my JNA, jya.. Im up for it if you are.. Bogies available, drawing available.. Keeps me away from pubs and women although not all of the time!!

Archived